The Student Room Group

Help: Newly qualified driver needs car; should he buy or lease?

hello should i buy or lease a car

i only need it for a year and by then i should have a graduate job where i can finance for a better car but i have seen 12 month lease deals and leased cars are more reliable than used car dealer buys, is this right?
Original post by BarBar-John

i only need it for a year and by then i should have a graduate job where i can finance for a better car but i have seen 12 month lease deals and leased cars are more reliable than used car dealer buys, is this right?

For a year, I'd probably say no. For a year, I'd go used, then upgrade to lease when you're working. You'll get charged a lot for upgrading so quickly if you take a lease now and want to upgrade in a year.

Lease = newer cars, often ghetto spec unless you pay a lot, you'll pay a lot.
Used = older cars, can find great bargains, you may get unlucky and need repairs.
Original post by BarBar-John

Id probably just buy used for your first year. It will be a lot cheaper than leasing. And newer cars arent always more reliable. You dont want something too flash in your first year after passing any way.
Buying a used car would be the better option.

One year lease deals usually aren't that fantastic for most cars unless you happen to buy a car with horrific depreciation.
if you are thinking about changing after a year - buy
Reply 5
Unless you are seriously flush with money.....neither of these options for a first car.

Used corsa/fiesta or something all day long. Even if only for 6 months or so.

Quick Reply

Latest