The Student Room Group

Boys & Feminism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olderandwiser23
Talking is very different from following, harassing, shouting derogatory terms.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Define harass.

So you want to persecute any man who shouts derogatory terms at women? So you are sexist.
Original post by Jemner01
Believing there are voices/different people in your head is called multiple personality disorder (or can be diagnosed as schizophrenia). It's a mental illness and dealt by medical processionals.

Beleiving you are a woman trapped in a man's body (a voice of a woman in a man's physical body) is supposed to be accepted as normal behaviour and a healthy mental state, and anyone who disagrees with this position is shunned.

I don't see the difference between the two. I'm not religious and I don't believe being gay is a mental illness, although it's not the behaviour of the majority of human beings.

You understand that being transgender is actually medically recognised and not classed as multiple personality disorder right? That there has been plenty of research into genetic gender, physical gender and the gender some one feels? They're all very separate things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Offensive? Freedom of speech shouldn't be marred because of what you may or may not like me saying. It's the equivalent of shouting "that's racist" or "that's sexist" whenever a viewpoint that doesn't comply with yours is exposed to you.

I am an American citizen, but I was born and live in the UK. Regardless, dismissing my view because I'm a US Citizen is not the equivalent of an actual counterargument.

Personally I don't think forcing acceptance of group people who can help themselves is a way to better society. Does being a minority warrant rudeness of abuse? No. Does it warrant pandering or special protection against criticism via "offensive language" or "political correctness"? No.

Not being cisgender is not something you can cure - it is a recognised medical disorder. It is not something that can be cured or changed. Would you ridicule somebody for having diabetes? or any other medical disorder? Hopefully not - so you should not ridicule people for not being cisgender.

It is not looking for 'special protection' it is a simple case of having the same rights - both legally rights but also being treated equally by society.

Also yes you do have freedom of speech, however that should not be an excuse for racial/homophobic/transphobic speech. Freedom of speech does not warrant discrimination.
Reply 143
Offensive? Freedom of speech shouldn't be marred because of what you may or may not like me saying. It's the equivalent of shouting "that's racist" or "that's sexist" whenever a viewpoint that doesn't comply with yours is exposed to you.

Your comment is offensive, I don't want that sort of language on a thread I started, that's all I ask of you. You've vocalised many opinions I didn't agree with and I accepted them, I'm not trying to convert you but that comment was too far. Your freedom of speech shouldn't be used to bully others.

And yet verbal assault is still a crime. You want laws that hinder men, you want laws specific to males. You are sexist.

Nope. If women were to do it (which again is the minority-funny that) they should also be punished

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EatAndRevise
There is not a debate to be put aside. Twisting facts into an argument does not quantify a debate.

I am guessing you are referring to catcalling, just ignore them or put headphones/earphones in. How do you plan on stopping rowdy builders from catcalling?

So your inequality is that you don't like getting catcalled when walking the streets?

Why can men walk down the street no problem, but women get followed?

Or stopped (forcibly in some cases)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by James Milibanter
as a man, i am fully affected by the patriarchy, it is socially unacceptable for me to cry, show emotions and god forbid i was gay.
Women on average in the UK earn 85% of what a man does based on the same work, ability and quality of resume, this figure drops to 82% in the USA, to say that the patriarchy is not a thing is like saying that Rape culture is not a thing, you are just an ignorant fascist.

Can't tell if troll, I will assume you aren't a troll.

Women who work for the same company in the same job as a man, earn the same as a man. This is as a result of the Equal Pay Act. Women chose different jobs as to what men chose.
You understand that being transgender is actually medically recognised and not classed as multiple personality disorder right? That there has been plenty of research into genetic gender, physical gender and the gender some one feels? They're all very separate things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're born male (XY) or female (XX) in the majority of scenarios. My rights don't end where your feelings begin, and feeling like you're another entity trapped in a body that is not yours is not grounds on which to censor, impede or even outlaw the opinions of others.
Taking aside pay differences etc as there's plenty of debate about that.

Here's an inequality that I experience pretty much everyday.

My bf walks down the street no issues at all.

I walk down the street and get cat called, stopped and followed.

I walk down the street with my bf and the above doesn't happen. Men respect men more than they respect women.

I just wanna walk down the street but can't because of men. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pay difference in the same job is illegal under the Equality Act 2010.

You still have the same rights as men. You have the right to call the police if you feel you are in danger or being harassed.

Original post by zippity.doodah
I completely agree with you - feminism is outdated - but what if we are talking about a world where women *are* legally discriminated against like in the days of their disenfranchisement? you said that men can't get involved in the advocacy of their equality (which doesn't exist in this situation) so that's why I asked why not

I worded my previous post poorly, which misconstrued what I meant. Feminism as an ideology has nothing to do with men. In this case (the west) men are not interested in further increasing the standing of women.

However in other parts of the world (where feminism should actually be paying attention to) I see no reason why men cannot help with the female struggle.
Why can men walk down the street no problem, but women get followed?

Or stopped (forcibly in some cases)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where is your evidence that women get followed down the street?

Where is your evidence that women get stopped forcibly in the street?
Define harass.

So you want to persecute any man who shouts derogatory terms at women? So you are sexist.

How is that sexist?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where is your evidence that women get followed down the street?

Where is your evidence that women get stopped forcibly in the street?

I live it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How is that sexist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is harassment, in your opinion?

It is sexist because you are in favour of a law that would actively discrimate against men.
Reply 153
Original post by James Milibanter
as a man, i am fully affected by the patriarchy, it is socially unacceptable for me to cry, show emotions and god forbid i was gay.
Women on average in the UK earn 85% of what a man does based on the same work, ability and quality of resume, this figure drops to 82% in the USA, to say that the patriarchy is not a thing is like saying that Rape culture is not a thing, you are just an ignorant fascist.

Do you see your opinion as a show of feminism or egalitarianism?

Lol.

That is not evidence.
Original post by kudzi.c
Your comment is offensive, I don't want that sort of language on a thread I started, that's all I ask of you. You've vocalised many opinions I didn't agree with and I accepted them, I'm not trying to convert you but that comment was too far. Your freedom of speech shouldn't be used to bully others.

Refusing to accept that fat people are not responsible for being overweight =/= bullying. Over-sensitivity is what creates these non-issues in the first place.

Nope. If women were to do it (which again is the minority-funny that) they should also be punished

Posted from TSR Mobile

You claim women are a minority, yet the population of a given area will statistically have more females in it because women are less likely to be killed by non-natural means, and live longer on average. That aside, censorship because someone does something you don't like or don't feel comfortable with is, frankly, ridiculous.
You're born male (XY) or female (XX) in the majority of scenarios. My rights don't end where your feelings begin, and feeling like you're another entity trapped in a body that is not yours is not grounds on which to censor, impede or even outlaw the opinions of others.

You're entitled to your opinions. But not to bully or discriminate. Which you are doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Refusing to accept that fat people are not responsible for being overweight =/= bullying. Over-sensitivity is what creates these non-issues in the first place.

You claim women are a minority, yet the population of a given area will statistically have more females in it because women are less likely to be killed by non-natural means, and live longer on average. That aside, censorship because someone does something you don't like or don't feel comfortable with is, frankly, ridiculous.

Why are you so concerned with killing? I think we all agree murder is horrendous.

On that note it's 01:25

Night everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're entitled to your opinions. But not to bully or discriminate. Which you are doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And now we've moved to "you're a bully" instead of actual counterarguments.
Why are you so concerned with killing? I think we all agree murder is horrendous.

On that note it's 01:25

Night everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're deliberately missing the point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending