The Student Room Group

Do I pick the good uni, or the one I think I'll like

Help me out here

I have an offer from a good uni, that's a russel group, for a course that I like but is not EXACTLY what I want. However they are still at the top of the league table for that course. I would also have to work quite hard for the grades.

i also have an offer from a smaller less 'prestigious' uni where the course is exactly what I would like. I really like the uni and they are okay for my course, I just won't get the full 'uni experience' because they're ALOT smaller:s-smilie: and the grades I can achieve easily

shall I firm the prestigious uni or the smaller uni
Outside of Oxbridge, prestige isn't going to make a gigantic difference. University is (at least) three years of your life so you need to make the best choice for you. So it's a matter of whether you want the course that's exactly what you want or the bigger university atmosphere. With regards to grades, if that's the deciding factor, then you can always firm the higher offer and have the lower offer as your insurance. Genuinely wanting to go to your firm and your insurance is a great position to be in.
Original post by mollysofia
Help me out here

I have an offer from a good uni, that's a russel group, for a course that I like but is not EXACTLY what I want. However they are still at the top of the league table for that course. I would also have to work quite hard for the grades.

i also have an offer from a smaller less 'prestigious' uni where the course is exactly what I would like. I really like the uni and they are okay for my course, I just won't get the full 'uni experience' because they're ALOT smaller:s-smilie: and the grades I can achieve easily

shall I firm the prestigious uni or the smaller uni

If you didn't apply for Oxbridge then don't worry because it wouldn't matter.
Reply 3
Do what makes you happy.
Reply 4
Original post by TroyAndAbed
Outside of Oxbridge, prestige isn't going to make a gigantic difference. University is (at least) three years of your life so you need to make the best choice for you. So it's a matter of whether you want the course that's exactly what you want or the bigger university atmosphere. With regards to grades, if that's the deciding factor, then you can always firm the higher offer and have the lower offer as your insurance. Genuinely wanting to go to your firm and your insurance is a great position to be in.

Original post by Black Cat

I know someone who rejected oxbridge

Obviously it matters. For careers in Law and IB especially, certain universities are going to get your foot through the door when others reduce your chances of even an interview tenfold. And I'm not talking about Oxbridge.
Original post by Exceptional
Obviously it matters. For careers in Law and IB especially, certain universities are going to get your foot through the door when others reduce your chances of even an interview tenfold. And I'm not talking about Oxbridge.

Oxbridge or nothing my friend.
Oxbridge or nothing my friend.

Silly kitty.
Reply 8
go with the one you like

you're dedicating a minimum of three years of your life to this and getting into tens of thousands of pounds of debt in the process, you may as well make sure you're having a damn good time doing it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending