The Student Room Group

Boys & Feminism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James Milibanter
how about this?
We are being oppressed in almost every way due to capitalism and fascism masquerading as liberal democracy (i.e. as in the USA where murder is legal as long as you kill a black person). Anarchism worked in Catalonia until Franco and his fascist seized the area meanwhile turning all the leftists against each other. Might I say that Anarchism isn't a lack of order, much rather it is a lack of power, instead of being oppressed we live in a state of mutual respect for the purposes of progression instead of the gain of capital, an absence of socioeconomic inequality and social class. Anarchy represents order, respect and progress, capitalism is a state of oppression based on a wealth that values a person based on their excess rather than their character and virtues.

Now you're starting to see things my way!
Original post by DK_Tipp
Now you're starting to see things my way!

well for us to be on the same page you would have to concede that there is a need for feminism, as they are oppressed and as an Anarcho-Syndicalist I am absolutely against oppression of any kind. feminism and egalitarianism do not need to be mutually exclusive. If you read the arguments for feminism and fully took them into account then it would be a no-brainer, there is no place for ignorance within my "utopia". :smile:
tell me, have you been raped? been cat-called? been called a whore? Probably not but ask any woman on this thread if she has experienced any of these things and i can guarantee you now that she will say yes.

Tell me, have ever been assaulted? Or started on in a club? Or had abuse shouted at you for no good reason? You can ask any man and the answer is probably going to be yes. Women face problems in society just like everybody else. So why should their problems be more important than the issues men face on a daily basis? Would it not be sexist to prioritse women's problems over men's?
well for us to be on the same page you would have to concede that there is a need for feminism, as they are oppressed and as an Anarcho-Syndicalist I am absolutely against oppression of any kind. feminism and egalitarianism do not need to be mutually exclusive. If you read the arguments for feminism and fully took them into account then it would be a no-brainer, there is no place for ignorance within my "utopia". :smile:

There is a need for feminism absolutely. But the form it takes is another matter. For instance you can't simply batter white underprivileged males who see "lad culture" as a rare outlet in to submission.

Censorship is useless. Equality legislation only does so much. But if you really want to solve the problem you have to go back up the chain and find the root cause. Education would be a good starting point.

NOTE: That guy (can't remember the name), the "dating coach" guy. He shouldn't be censored... he should just be arrested and charged inciting hatred.
Original post by DiddyDec
Tell me, have ever been assaulted? Or started on in a club? Or had abuse shouted at you for no good reason? You can ask any man and the answer is probably going to be yes. Women face problems in society just like everybody else. So why should their problems be more important than the issues men face on a daily basis? Would it not be sexist to prioritse women's problems over men's?

Punched/started on cannot be compared to rape (male or female)

Posted from TSR Mobile

women face those issues too -.-
i dont see what your point is, egalitarianism and feminism are not mutually exclusive, why can't we help feminists with their struggles against oppression and in the meantime also sort out other inequalities like ones to do with race and sexuality? (it wouldn't surprise me if you were also a racist and a homophobe as well to be honest, so go ahead and prove me wrong)
Original post by Olderandwiser23

Posted from TSR Mobile

He is a sexist and an ignoramus, you can't get through to him unless he sees the benefits that men get from feminism, but unfortunately he is also bigot and wont take the things that he gains from feminism on board because he doesn't want women to be equal. *tut* *tut*

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about being beaten to a pulp? That leaves more than just physical damage, just like rape. One can feel dehumanized by such an experience. How is that different to rape?

women face those issues too -.-
i dont see what your point is, egalitarianism and feminism are not mutually exclusive, why can't we help feminists with their struggles against oppression and in the meantime also sort out other inequalities like ones to do with race and sexuality? (it wouldn't surprise me if you were also a racist and a homophobe as well to be honest, so go ahead and prove me wrong)

Feminism in redundant in the western world. Women have the same rights as men (if not more). How are women being oppressed?

More ad hominem really? It is still not validating your point.

I'm not racist or homophobic. I have no problem with whatever people want to do in their private lives. I couldn't give less of a **** about homosexuals.
Can somebody tell me the advantages of feminism to a straight white man. On the first page their are multiple mentions of it being beneficial but no examples.

I mean i agree with them being treated equally by the law and being able to have careers but i'm not seeing why i should support anything further.
Original post by DK_Tipp
There is a need for feminism absolutely. But the form it takes is another matter. For instance you can't simply batter white underprivileged males who see "lad culture" as a rare outlet in to submission.

Censorship is useless. Equality legislation only does so much. But if you really want to solve the problem you have to go back up the chain and find the root cause. Education would be a good starting point.

NOTE: That guy (can't remember the name), the "dating coach" guy. He shouldn't be censored... he should just be arrested and charged inciting hatred.

I believe you speak of Dappah Laughs. now you have just proved the point that I am about to make, by relieving him of his platform he is now unable to impact society. He is quoted saying "dressed like that you are asking to be raped" to an audience member, I understand that you may not have known that but a person of that sort should not hold a platform and (in fact) should be rehabilitated. "Lad culture" should not become an outlet if it oppresses women, freedom from oppression is one of my fundamental beliefs, and it should be the belief of the vast majority excluding the bigots and fascists.
Original post by kudzi.c
How can we get more boys to see that feminism benefits them too? Any male feminists out there, what made you see the importance of feminism? :smile: And people who think feminism is useless, I'd like to know why.

How about changing the name from feminism for a start
What about being beaten to a pulp? That leaves more than just physical damage, just like rape. One can feel dehumanized by such an experience. How is that different to rape?

Feminism in redundant in the western world. Women have the same rights as men (if not more). How are women being oppressed?

More ad hominem really? It is still not validating your point.

I'm not racist or homophobic. I have no problem with whatever people want to do in their private lives. I couldn't give less of a **** about homosexuals.

Quite simply you are ignorant for comparing a battering to rape because on top of rape women also have to deal with *DUN DUN DUN* domestic violence, but of course as a sexist you don't care about that. How about this? why don't you respect the fact that people like you (granted there are people much worse, but you are definitely part of the problem) are constantly oppressing women and let the feminists and egalitarians alike deal with these issue while you live in you fantasy world where men are more oppressed than women?
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
How about changing the name from feminism for a start

Because god forbid should a term mention women in anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because god forbid should a term mention women in anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are going to pretend to care about gender equality, the least you can do is subscribe to a movement that reflects both men and women in its name.
Here's a good video that I watched a while ago if anyone is interested :smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTvSfeCRxe8 - It's a TED talk by Jackson Katz. Perhaps not the answer to the question but a good watch nonetheless!
Quite simply you are ignorant for comparing a battering to rape because on top of rape women also have to deal with *DUN DUN DUN* domestic violence, but of course as a sexist you don't care about that. How about this? why don't you respect the fact that people like you (granted there are people much worse, but you are definitely part of the problem) are constantly oppressing women and let the feminists and egalitarians alike deal with these issue while you live in you fantasy world where men are more oppressed than women?

Tell me how the 2 crimes are so different. Both genders are victims of domestic violence. It is not a gender exclusive crime.
I have already stated that I am in favour of gender equality.

How am I constantly oppressing women? Am I oppressing women by lying in bed right now?

At what point did I even say men are oppressed? I said that both genders have problems that need addressing.

Also please stop with the ad hominem, it is getting tiresome.
(edited 9 years ago)
Quite simply you are ignorant for comparing a battering to rape because on top of rape women also have to deal with *DUN DUN DUN* domestic violence, but of course as a sexist you don't care about that. How about this?

It is obvious from your other posts that you are troll, but in case anyone takes this seriously look at the figures about domestic violence. The most recent crime survey found that while 7% of women and 4% of men experience domestic violence, at trial 93% of defendants are men and 84% of victims are women. The only possible sexism I can see going on here is towards men.
Original post by Birkenhead
If you are going to pretend to care about gender equality, the least you can do is subscribe to a movement that reflects both men and women in its name.

well considering that it are the women in society that are being oppressed, and that the movement is to stop that, I personally do not see a problem with it being known as "feminism". The fact that it refers to women does not deter me at all, if it did then I would obviously have such a level of ignorance that meant i couldn't look beyond the name of a movement before drawing my conclusions onto it. This is mostly directed at the other people on the thread, but you asked for an explanation and I have offered one. :smile:
well considering that it are the women in society that are being oppressed, and that the movement is to stop that, I personally do not see a problem with it being known as "feminism". The fact that it refers to women does not deter me at all, if it did then I would obviously have such a level of ignorance that meant i couldn't look beyond the name of a movement before drawing my conclusions onto it. This is mostly directed at the other people on the thread, but you asked for an explanation and I have offered one. :smile:

I don't agree that in today's society women are especially oppressed. In a great many cases the only oppression one could see as going on is towards men.

It is not about drawing conclusions about the movement from its name, but in drawing the connection between the name and the ulterior motives of the movement's members and the concentration of its efforts towards women, despite claiming to be supportive of gender equality.
Original post by Birkenhead
It is obvious from your other posts that you are troll, but in case anyone takes this seriously look at the figures about domestic violence. The most recent crime survey found that while 7% of women and 4% of men experience domestic violence, at trial 93% of defendants are men and 84% of victims are women. The only possible sexism I can see going on here is towards men.

I fail to see your point here, this is either because men get let off or because men do not report it when it happens to them. The former is quite clearly evidence of the oppression of women and the latter is a coherent result of patriarchal society which expresses male dominance over females, so much so that getting attacked by a women becomes emasculating and embarrassing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending