The Student Room Group

Boys & Feminism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olderandwiser23
I'm not at all. But something has to be done to at least try to prevent this happening. And I feel the only way we will achieve a society where this is reduced is by women and men uniting and altering society so treating women badly is deemed unacceptable by ALL and thus any rape that is committed is punished with far harsher sentences eg actual life.

No more "lad" culture. Eg that dapper laughs w****r

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again you fail to understand the nature of some rapes. The fact that is it widely deemed unacceptable (hence the reason its ILLEGAL) is exactly the MOTIVATION some people use to commit the crime. Unless you want a state that watches your every move from birth and analyses you every 6 months for possible antisocial traits, it is impossible to stamp rape out, just as it is other violently motivated crimes like murder and assault.

It's nothing to do with a "lad" culture, that shows your very immature understanding of this.
Original post by lmk97
I'm saying they shouldn't be so concerned with that, and especially not fighting for things that will in fact actually hurt them. Such as abortion.
Working is tough, it is not glamorous, it is stressful and it is hard. I'm sure most people, given the opportunity, would chose to not work over work.
Not only this but by nature women are emotional beings, and at times work can be emotionally demanding and coworkers can really hurt one another. I've seen it time and time again happen with my mother, my aunts and my teachers.

I am talking about nature and purpose.

Your 'pahahahaha' comment was immature in a mature thread. What I am saying is logical.

Saying a man can "sense" when a woman is on the pill is ridiculous.

And most women or people DO want to work and want to have a passion and be successful in that passion. Many women DONT want children, or if they do, they want them after they've achieved their personal goals.

Living isn't just about reproducing and having a family and a hubby and all things 1950's.

Things have changed, women are allowed to have goals and ambition too. Funnily enough we're just as smart as men.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by geoking
Again you fail to understand the nature of some rapes. The fact that is it widely deemed unacceptable (hence the reason its ILLEGAL) is exactly the MOTIVATION some people use to commit the crime. Unless you want a state that watches your every move from birth and analyses you every 6 months for possible antisocial traits, it is impossible to stamp rape out, just as it is other violently motivated crimes like murder and assault.

It's nothing to do with a "lad" culture, that shows your very immature understanding of this.

So it's okay for a guy to say to a woman "you'd enjoy a good raping wouldn't you" ? because "it's just a joke"?

^ not okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And most women or people DO want to work and want to have a passion and be successful in that passion. Many women DONT want children, or if they do, they want them after they've achieved their personal goals.

Living isn't just about reproducing and having a family and a hubby and all things 1950's.

Things have changed, women are allowed to have goals and ambition too. Funnily enough we're just as smart as men.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Generalising a whole gender as being as intelligent as another gender is wrong. Not all women are as intelligent as all men are, in fact, many women are more intelligent than men. But, there are also many men who are more intelligent than women are.
Original post by EatAndRevise
Generalising a whole gender as being as intelligent as another gender is wrong. Not all women are as intelligent as all men are, in fact, many women are more intelligent than men. But, there are also many men who are more intelligent than women are.

I'm not talking about individuals. I'm saying collectively women are just as capable as men.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lmk97
Men will never like feminism, their nature is to protect, to provide, to dominate (not with the negative connotations attached to this nowadays), whereas a woman's nature is to care, nurture, love and make a loving home for her children and family. You can see this evident in animals and in the pre-1960s world.
The rise of feminism has been detrimental to families and society in general, the order of things has now overturned - this would be okay if both parties had the same attributes and the same weaknesses. However this is not the case.
Men and women are equal; but they are not the same.
Therefore they have equal worth in and of themselves, but different roles. The issue is that patriarchy is now seen as the enemy of a 'good' 'developed' 'modern' society however those living under patriarchy would've probably disagreed.
It is true that modern feminism is poisonous, it is also contagious, it makes women think they are empowered and free. But they are not. By being on the contraceptive pill, so that they may control their fertility, they feel that they are liberated from the agony of motherhood, the weighing down of not being able to work or the stress of having 5+ children; when in actual fact they are allowing themselves to be used by men. There have been studies to show that men can tell when a woman is on the pill, instinctively, just like he can tell if she is fertile or menstruating. Women moan about men not being committed enough, in terms of relationships, when men are given the message (subliminally) that the woman isn't committed to being a wife or mother by being on birth control. No matter what anyone says, a man is instinctively seeking a mate who would fulfil the role as a child barer.

Furthermore men feel out of place in the family unit, once upon a time one wage COULD provide for a family with 6 children, albeit barely, but, it could. However, once women had to have a piece of the workers cake the availability of jobs had to increase by almost 50%. Not only is the recession in the 80s testament to a workforce under huge strain, but the number of unemployed people show that it is just not feasible to have so many people in work. It cannot be denied that women are more often than not outdoing them in the work place (showing that the modern concept of feminism as female superiority is working). It is important to note that I am saying women are unable to be successful in their careers; in fact, the issue isn't in ability; in the rise of modernism one can see that women are more than able to be successful in a working environment, however just because someone can do something doesn't mean they should.

I am a woman, by the way

There's no need to be politically correct to appease women. The bold is a contradiction, different =/= equal, men and women are fundamentally not equal.
I'm not talking about individuals. I'm saying collectively women are just as capable as men.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But you can't generalise every individual of a specific gender, race, nationality etc. as being as capable as a member of a different one. That is wrong. It is wrong to say 'women are just as capable as men', not all women are as capable as men and not all men are capable as women are.
So it's okay for a guy to say to a woman "you'd enjoy a good raping wouldn't you" ? because "it's just a joke"?

^ not okay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What the hell does that have to do with anything that I said? I'm talking about actual rape, not some stupid comment by a chav.
But you can't generalise every individual of a specific gender, race, nationality etc. as being as capable as a member of a different one. That is wrong. It is wrong to say 'women are just as capable as men', not all women are as capable as men and not all men are capable as women are.

Yes you can. It's called equality.

Every race is as capable as the next. Skin colour and gender have no influence on cognitive ability.

Yes some individuals are smarter than others etc but on a whole we all still have the same potential.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by geoking
What the hell does that have to do with anything that I said? I'm talking about actual rape, not some stupid comment by a chav.

What that dapper laughs guy said, was excused because of "lad culture". Thankfully a lot more people took offence and took him down. But it shouldn't have been said in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 270

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is not ridiculous, it is instinctive. A man is more attracted to a woman when she is fertile than when she is less fertile, however the pill suppresses this fertility down to 1% so they are, instinctively, less attracted.

The reason many women 'want' to work is because they feel they're somehow missing out. It is true that there are some jobs that are not just financially rewarding and can have a massive impact on ones life, for example teaching or social work. Nevertheless, many live in a fantasy world if they think they will get the perfect job with the perfect perks. This is just nonsense.

It is unnatural for a woman to NOT WANT children, they may think children are a nuisance or don't want to spend their income on nappies and baby food, but instinctively, they want to reproduce.

I am not reducing femininity down to baby making, and neither were all those living in the 1950s or even the millions of women and men living before the 20th century.

They're allowed to have them, of course, but that does not mean they should be imposed on every woman and indeed, every man. Like I stated earlier, women are just as able as men and are not somehow thick just because they are women.
What that dapper laughs guy said, was excused because of "lad culture". Thankfully a lot more people took offence and took him down. But it shouldn't have been said in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of things are said that shouldn't be, but people will say a lot of things to make money :rolleyes:

Your point about educating to stop rape will never work unless you want a big brother state. Therefore women need to be sensible - don't go to dangerous places on your own etc.
Reply 272
Original post by puma21
There's no need to be politically correct to appease women. The bold is a contradiction, different =/= equal, men and women are fundamentally not equal.

It is not a contradiction:
Equal -
1. Having the same quantity, measure, or value as another.

Same -
adj.
1. Being the very one; identical: the same boat we rented before.
2. Conforming in every detail: according to the same rules as before.
3. Being the one previously mentioned or indicated; aforesaid.
Yes you can. It's called equality.

Every race is as capable as the next. Skin colour and gender have no influence on cognitive ability.

Yes some individuals are smarter than others etc but on a whole we all still have the same potential.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be capable is to have the ability to do or to achieve a specific thing.

Men and women are obviously different from one another. There are differences in the way women and men think, and the way by which their brains function. If there was someone who was an expert on this topic, I'm sure they could enlighten you more. But it can be seen from a young age that girls think differently from how men think, and there is a difference in cognitive ability.

Yes, just about every human has the same potential as another human. But there are differences in intelligence between individuals. Just because there are more male CEOs than female CEOs, does not mean that there is sexism taking place. But I am sure you will complain that this is due to sexism.
Original post by lmk97
It is not ridiculous, it is instinctive. A man is more attracted to a woman when she is fertile than when she is less fertile, however the pill suppresses this fertility down to 1% so they are, instinctively, less attracted.

Show me these studies.

Original post by lmk97
The reason many women 'want' to work is because they feel they're somehow missing out. It is true that there are some jobs that are not just financially rewarding and can have a massive impact on ones life, for example teaching or social work. Nevertheless, many live in a fantasy world if they think they will get the perfect job with the perfect perks. This is just nonsense.

What about women who want to be doctors and dentists and lawyers etc

Ambition is natural.

Original post by lmk97
It is unnatural for a woman to NOT WANT children, they may think children are a nuisance or don't want to spend their income on nappies and baby food, but instinctively, they want to reproduce.

Completely untrue. I have many friends in their 30's who have zero instinct to want to reproduce. They've never wanted children and it's never changed.

I'm on the fence but I get to choose. I'm not gonna have a baby because it's what I'm meant to do, or should do. I'll have kids if I want them once I've done everything else I want to do. They're not the focus of my life And if I don't get time for a kid. I won't be hearbroken.

Original post by lmk97
They're allowed to have them, of course, but that does not mean they should be imposed on every woman and indeed, every man. Like I stated earlier, women are just as able as men and are not somehow thick just because they are women.

They shouldn't be imposed on every woman, that's why feminism is great we HAVE a choice. Women are allowed to go to work and be successful and earn lots of £, women are also allowed to stay home and look after the kids, which is also fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be capable is to have the ability to do or to achieve a specific thing.

Men and women are obviously different from one another. There are differences in the way women and men think, and the way by which their brains function. If there was someone who was an expert on this topic, I'm sure they could enlighten you more. But it can be seen from a young age that girls think differently from how men think, and there is a difference in cognitive ability.

Yes, just about every human has the same potential as another human. But there are differences in intelligence between individuals. Just because there are more male CEOs than female CEOs, does not mean that there is sexism taking place. But I am sure you will complain that this is due to sexism.

I never spoke about individuals

Posted from TSR Mobile
I never spoke about individuals

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you ignore all the points I make?

You can't generalise a whole gender's intelligence.

"Oh, she's a female, therefore she is just as capable as you are at doing a job."

That is what you are implying, which is wrong. Just because someone is a female, does not mean they are just as capable as a man is. And vice versa.
Show me these studies.

What about women who want to be doctors and dentists and lawyers etc

Ambition is natural.

Completely untrue. I have many friends in their 30's who have zero instinct to want to reproduce. They've never wanted children and it's never changed.

I'm on the fence but I get to choose. I'm not gonna have a baby because it's what I'm meant to do, or should do. I'll have kids if I want them once I've done everything else I want to do. They're not the focus of my life And if I don't get time for a kid. I won't be hearbroken.

They shouldn't be imposed on every woman, that's why feminism is great we HAVE a choice. Women are allowed to go to work and be successful and earn lots of £, women are also allowed to stay home and look after the kids, which is also fine.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, if they have the qualifications to do so.
So you ignore all the points I make?

You can't generalise a whole gender's intelligence.

"Oh, she's a female, therefore she is just as capable as you are at doing a job."

That is what you are implying, which is wrong. Just because someone is a female, does not mean they are just as capable as a man is. And vice versa.

So do you think as "girls think differently from men" ( which I agree with to a degree) that we should have boys jobs and girls jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, if they have the qualifications to do so.

Of course, that goes with out saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending