The Student Room Group

Boys & Feminism

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olderandwiser23
So do you think as "girls think differently from men" ( which I agree with to a degree) that we should have boys jobs and girls jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, we shouldn't have jobs that only men are allowed to do and just jobs for girls. I did not say that and we do not have that.
I believe in equal rights but I'm not strictly a feminist. Feminism is about solving gender equality through focusing on one genders problems. I don't believe we can achieve complete equality if we only focus on one gender! Males have plenty of problems, perhaps not as much but they're still serious (such as treatment in family court or the inequality when it comes to stop and searches/ harsh sentencing of boys compared to girls). I can find feminists really rude too and sometimes it seems they're just looking for things to complain about.
Original post by EatAndRevise
Murder is not legal as long as you kill a black person. What a ridiculous statement to make.

I know a lot of people that would refute that, mate....
If you want equality, there shouldn't be a "feminist" and a "menist". Maybe an "equalist" group would be better.
Original post by EatAndRevise
No, we shouldn't have jobs that only men are allowed to do and just jobs for girls. I did not say that and we do not have that.

And how is that equality? as long as there is inequality, particularly in the case of females, there is a need for feminism...
Original post by Olderandwiser23
So do you think as "girls think differently from men" ( which I agree with to a degree) that we should have boys jobs and girls jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I add matriarchal societies have been existing for centuries in most african cultures. Equality is mainly an issue for western women I.E suffragette movements but as I said in a previous post British empire and colonisation ig african countries made them capitalist hence patriarchy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kudzi.c
How can we get more boys to see that feminism benefits them too? Any male feminists out there, what made you see the importance of feminism? :smile: And people who think feminism is useless, I'd like to know why.

Well, preventing extreme feminists from attacking men would be a start, but that seems unlikely to work out.

Alternatively, you could alter the movement to directly help men. That would be an alteration of the movement, though, regardless of what many feminists seem to believe. It is, and always has been, about the advocacy of women's rights in pursuit of gender equality. At this point, that idea is becoming increasingly murky.

To be honest, I think that feminism really needs to sort out its PR. It's a term that's in danger of becoming synonymous with sensationalism, especially after the recent scientist shirt fiasco.
Original post by TurboCretin
Well, preventing extreme feminists from attacking men would be a start, but that seems unlikely to work out.

Alternatively, you could alter the movement to directly help men. That would be an alteration of the movement, though, regardless of what many feminists seem to believe. It is, and always has been, about the advocacy of women's rights in pursuit of gender equality. At this point, that idea is becoming increasingly murky.

To be honest, I think that feminism really needs to sort out its PR. It's a term that's in danger of becoming synonymous with sensationalism, especially after the recent scientist shirt fiasco.

I think the issue with feminism is that's there are many branches and ideologies of feminism depending on people's backgrounds and ethnicity. Feminist definition is not universal and that's when it gets ****ty. Especially the fact the white women dominate narratives and women of colour are silenced or a pawns in their saviour complex. Feminism is flawed and as a female who does have feminist opinions any other woman who isn't white shouldn't bother with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by radicalboujie
That's how they represent themselves though. Twitter and tumblr are useful in serving women of colour and other feminists safe spaces to discuss issues but u most than likely see the true colours of these faux Intersectional feminists

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try not to let a few bad-apples spoil the bunch, feminism about being free from the oppression of a woman's oppression.
Reply 289
Women should be worshiped in my opinion. But unfortunately I am only one
man and I cannot worship all of you. A lot of man childs make excuses for not for for filling thier duty as a man. Commitment and loyalty is fading with each generation. And any compassion towards women is seen as a weakness. The traditional family has been broken by the pathetic men who cannot raise themselves let alone a family. I hope to find a wife and share my seed. I know I'm not entitled to one. Which means I might die alone but that's ok because death is also beautiful.
Original post by Ryan202
Women should be worshiped in my opinion. But unfortunately I am only one
man and I cannot worship all of you. A lot of man childs make excuses for not for for filling thier duty as a man. Commitment and loyalty is fading with each generation. And any compassion towards women is seen as a weakness. The traditional family has been broken by the pathetic men who cannot raise themselves let alone a family. I hope to find a wife and share my seed. I know I'm not entitled to one. Which means I might die alone but that's ok because death is also beautiful.

Thank you for sharing, Ryan.
Original post by DK_Tipp
No I was thinking of that American guy. He's much scarier than Dapper Laugh and an embarrassment to men.

I agree that bigotry and those expressing violent or dangerous sentiment should not be given a platform. However there is a classist element here too. The middle classes see it as uncouth and it makes them uncomfortable. Where does lad culture come from and why is it so at odds with feminism? Have feminists done enough to include the beer drinking, Oasis listening, football supporters in their vision for society? Do they know how to appeal to this cohort?

Lad culture is at least in part a reaction to feminism and the New Man, movements which appear to have abandoned them.

Granted, some elements of feminism are flawed, but that's not to say that they aren't doing the right thing. They are only campaigning for equality, and I very much like the idea of an equal society.
Original post by James Milibanter
Try not to let a few bad-apples spoil the bunch, feminism about being free from the oppression of a woman's oppression.

Nah its my final judgement on feminism. I do belive in feminist values but feminism as a whole doesn't respect other ethnicities values and cultures. It forces western values on brown and black women as a sign of liberation. I.e me as a black muslim woman to them I'm "oppressed" and my hijab is restricting me of their definition of equality. This white saviour complex that they have is patronising and im sorry but womanism is tonne times better and serving to me as a black woman

Posted from TSR Mobile
Granted, some elements of feminism are flawed, but that's not to say that they aren't doing the right thing. They are only campaigning for equality, and I very much like the idea of an equal society.

I think we've established that we broadly agree here.

I just think it's important to play devil's advocate.
Original post by kudzi.c
Fair enough, that's a common stumbling block, but do you yourself have an opinion on feminism/egalitarianism/whatever *I'm assuming you're a guy* I just want to know opinions and their foundations.

In short, I believe that men and women should have equal rights and that gender roles should not be enforced, so by definition that would make me a feminist. At the same time, I do believe that gender-roles are largely rooted in biology and that in a society which does not promote any sort of fixed gender role, most men would naturally behave in a way which is masculine and most women would behave in a way which is feminine (ignoring pointless comments about "what defines masculine and feminine behaviours").

I also feel that the Western world rewards men who show feminine traits and rewards women who behave like uncultured "LADs". If a man gets into a fight (even if he had good reason...) or does anything which might seem confrontational, many people see that as extreme and unnerving. Equally women getting drunk and generally behaving badly is usually met with a "you go girl" type, round of applause.
Original post by radicalboujie
Nah its my final judgement on feminism. I do belive in feminist values but feminism as a whole doesn't respect other ethnicities values and cultures. It forces western values on brown and black women as a sign of liberation. I.e me as a black muslim woman to them I'm "oppressed" and my hijab is restricting me of their definition of equality. This white saviour complex that they have is patronising and im sorry but womanism is tonne times better and serving to me as a black woman

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're for equality then I respect you, I was merely trying to point out that those ideas are not the ideas of feminism but the ideas of the ignorant.
Original post by DK_Tipp
I think we've established that we broadly agree here.

I just think it's important to play devil's advocate.

Haha, but when that keeps me up until 5am, I begin to get a little bored.
If you're for equality then I respect you, I was merely trying to point out that those ideas are not the ideas of feminism but the ideas of the ignorant.

I understand, the finals straw for me on feminism was when every "revolutionary" feminist such as Laura bates and Co. Went hard in defending lena Dunham sexually molesting her sister but stayed silent on marissa (black woman) who was told she was going to get 20 years for firing warning shots in self defence of her violent partner if she didn't plead guilty, now she's serving 3 years. Isn't marissa a feminist issue? Women's rights, equality? That's when I was like yep totally done

Posted from TSR Mobile
I feel a bit bad saying it, as I'm female myself, but I'm really quite bored of feminism now. I've never met anyone who genuinely thinks men and women should not be equal, but the only 'feminists' I've ever encountered be it online or in the real world have been extremist, man-hating, bra-burning feminist types. It's a shame that some people ruin it for everyone else but whenever I read anything about 'feminism' now it just makes me do the biggest eye roll ever.

Plus I don't agree with it being called 'feminism' anyway, it should be egalitarianism or something.
Original post by TurboCretin

Do you honestly think the issue is feminism's "pr" rather than the media representation of feminism? The stereotyping of feminists is nothing new. The media attention to "trivial" campaigns while ignoring a lot of feminist activity that is far from trivial is nothing new. The acceptance of certain women who paint themselves as feminists while stomping on trans, disabled, sex workers and WoC into high profile positions - giving some feminists who say the right things but don't actually challenge the status quo for non middle class, white, cis, non-disabled women is nothing new.

There is a problem around media representation of feminism - but it is not a pr problem.

Quick Reply