The Student Room Group

Should I apply for the job even if I don't match the criteria?

Hi. Applying, or rather, thinking of applying for a university job which is aimed at 'post graduates and mature students'. I'm currently 19 but would be 20-21 when the post starts. I have experience working for the university before and in a very similar role. Its working with freshers so I'd only be 1/2 years older but I still feel that I'm capable.

Should I go for it and just cut my losses if I don't get it?
Reply 1
With these things, it depends which parts of the pspec you do or don't match.

If it's a question of being a couple of years in the wrong direction, that's no big deal - they shouldn't really be advertising for a "mature student" any how - that can easily turn into an age discrimination issue.

However, if you don't match the spec because it specifies a particular qualification or skill (for example "PCV licence" or "advanced Excel skills"), then it's pretty pointless to try.

Either way, if you don't match, then don't be too surprised if you don't hear back or don't get an interview.
Reply 2
Original post by Clip
With these things, it depends which parts of the pspec you do or don't match.

If it's a question of being a couple of years in the wrong direction, that's no big deal - they shouldn't really be advertising for a "mature student" any how - that can easily turn into an age discrimination issue.

However, if you don't match the spec because it specifies a particular qualification or skill (for example "PCV licence" or "advanced Excel skills"), then it's pretty pointless to try.

Either way, if you don't match, then don't be too surprised if you don't hear back or don't get an interview.

Under the freedom of information act somebody has already requested the criteria so I've seen what is required. I fit pretty much all of it and the bit I don't is something that I can easily learn. It's just the age thing that is making me feel a bit pessimistic. The way I see it is if somebody a year older than me can do it, why can't I?
Original post by EloiseStar
Under the freedom of information act somebody has already requested the criteria so I've seen what is required. I fit pretty much all of it and the bit I don't is something that I can easily learn. It's just the age thing that is making me feel a bit pessimistic. The way I see it is if somebody a year older than me can do it, why can't I?

As the other poster has said age discrimination is totally illegal! It's legal to ask for a certain level of experience that may make it unlikely a young person would be suitable, e.g. "Must have significant managerial experience". But it's illegal to specify an ideal age. All jobs should be filled based on skills and experience, and a large, unionised employer like a university should definitely be avoiding loaded language like "mature" by now. Personally I would go for it, use the statement to show exactly how you fit the criteria, and hopefully they won't be able to help noticing you meet them all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending