The Student Room Group

Intergration help

So here's the picture of the question and my working out, I tried integrating it and cleaning it up, then put it into y = mx + c and got a ridiculous answer.. can anyones see where i went wrong or if im doing it completely wrong

side ways im sorry
To find the gradient you're supposed to differentiate, not integrate. Get dy/dx then put in the x value to get the gradient
Original post by civeng1597
To find the gradient you're supposed to differentiate, not integrate. Get dy/dx then put in the x value to get the gradient

S/he was given the gradient

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EpicTree

{working}

It all looks good to me except when you calculate c you put 3*9^2 when you actually want 3*9^3.

So you're finally answer for c would be -2334

and your equation y = 3x^3 + 6x^1.5 - 2334
Reply 4
Original post by philgreek
It all looks good to me except when you calculate c you put 3*9^2 when you actually want 3*9^3.

So you're finally answer for c would be -2334

and your equation y = 3x^3 + 6x^1.5 - 2334

oh yea I recalculated it and I got the same, I accidently squared the first one rather than cubing it. But this is all noncalculator so the multiplication is pretty difficult
oh yea I recalculated it and I got the same, I accidently squared the first one rather than cubing it. But this is all noncalculator so the multiplication is pretty difficult

Are you certain it is non-calculator then, as I agree that it isn't the sort of numbers you would expect to deal with in a non-calc questions. Either way the answer definitely works fine so that's something.

Here we go again. Third time today.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=51265473
Reply 7

Must be as the thread isn't stickied :wink:
Original post by BBeyond
Must be as the thread isn't stickied :wink:

I've made it as Sticky again now. Probably won't see another occurrence for ages now.
Reply 9
Original post by Mr M
I've made it as Sticky again now. Probably won't see another occurrence for ages now.

Yeah but that shows the thread is serving its purpose.

Edit: Nvm I'm blind or you just edited it :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest