The Student Room Group

Fedora hating

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Clip
I don't actually understand all the fedora hate. Can anyone please explain it? I think I hate them too but I want to make sure it's for the right reasons.

Earlier at Kings X station a guy in a fedora rushed to the aid of some tiny girl struggling up the stairs with a huge suitcase, only to do even worse and halfway up she had to help him. So hilarious.

It seems to me the hat itself is a flexible accessory that improves most men's styles. Because of this, unfashionable men have latched onto it disproportionately because there is a very limited range of fashion choices that work for them at all, and it has therefore acquired the reputation of not only being the loser's trademark but also an unattractive accessory by association with its most prevalent users. If you look at some of the posts above, on a handsome man they look really rather dashing.
[video="youtube;xIoh0eKN8Gw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIoh0eKN8Gw[/video]
Original post by Birkenhead
It seems to me the hat itself is a flexible accessory that improves most men's styles. Because of this, unfashionable men have latched onto it disproportionately because there is a very limited range of fashion choices that work for them at all, and it has therefore acquired the reputation of not only being the loser's trademark but also an unattractive accessory by association with its most prevalent users. If you look at some of the posts above, on a handsome man they look really rather dashing.

I had no knowledge of this internet fedora hate thing before this thread, but still I have to say that even the good looking guys in the suits posted earlier would look better without the stupid hats.

Original post by skoav

i can't even tell if this video is a joke or not

:rofl: It's so perfect that it really must be a joke.
Original post by e aí rapaz
I had no knowledge of this internet fedora hate thing before this thread, but still I have to say that even the good looking guys in the suits posted earlier would look better without the stupid hats.

A matter of taste.
Reply 24
Original post by Democracy
Because more often than not, the guys who wear it tend to be like this chap:

Nah:

A matter of taste.

Of course. It seems the whole thing is based around the fact that almost everybody's taste is that they're horrible, regardless of how stylish the wearer is. I wouldn't say that's got much with jealousy in my opinion.
It's associated in Internet culture with MRAs now.

More importantly, I see on Reddit a lot 'tipping intensifies'. Can someone please explain to me how to intensify tipping of a hat :tongue:
Original post by e aí rapaz
Of course. It seems the whole thing is based around the fact that almost everybody's taste is that they're horrible, regardless of how stylish the wearer is. I wouldn't say that's got much with jealousy in my opinion.

Jealousy? I think the number of posters in this thread supportive of fedoras is indicative that opinion is not as unanimous as you think. If it were, however, remember Orwell: 'sanity is not statistical'.
Original post by Buxtonwater
Some people can pull them off very well.

:coma:
Reply 29
I like fedoras. They bring out the colour of my neckbeard.
Pharrell Williams?

(Not the oversized one).
Why are trilbys being confused with fedoras and what's wrong with Abraham Lincolns beard style?
As long as you tip it and swing from post to post on the streets whilst it's raining and you're wearing a black suit it's all good.
Or maybe that's a top hat

Posted from TSR Mobile
This thread did not deliver.
Reply 34
Original post by Coffinman
Why are trilbys being confused with fedoras and what's wrong with Abraham Lincolns beard style?

This is true. A fedora is an Indiana Jones type hat. A trilby is more a Frank Sinatra.
Original post by Vixen47
One of my ex boyfriends wears them. It makes my ovaries explode. :fan:

Could you explain why? My girlfriend also likes this and it is utterly unfathomable to me. Is it because you imagine they're some sort of sensitive, interestingly self-destructive indie crooner?
Original post by scrotgrot
Could you explain why? My girlfriend also likes this and it is utterly unfathomable to me. Is it because you imagine they're some sort of sensitive, interestingly self-destructive indie crooner?

That is really not what fedoras are associated with :tongue:

More like:

[video="youtube;VfOuJ93sIog"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfOuJ93sIog[/video]
Original post by miser
I like fedoras. They bring out the colour of my neckbeard.

What colour is your neckbeard?
Reply 39
What colour is your neckbeard?

Fedora-coloured.

Quick Reply