The Student Room Group

How to get a P45 when your employer hasn't sent it?

I will probably be needing a P45 not for a job but for the Student Loans Company who are on my case recently.

I am 99% certain that my previous employers have been right ****** and very unprofessional and deliberately didn't send me anything to spite me for leaving.

So how can I go about getting it from them, without contacting them myself? I am not going to beg for it.
They have a legal obligation to send you a P45 so you should email/write/phone them to ask for one, perhaps politely reminding them that they have to provide you with one.

If you still don't get one then I guess HMRC could help?

There's no point in you being stubborn as it's your loss if they don't provide one and get away with it, not theirs.
Quite!
Original post by Runninground
They have a legal obligation to send you a P45 so you should email/write/phone them to ask for one, perhaps politely reminding them that they have to provide you with one.

If you still don't get one then I guess HMRC could help?

There's no point in you being stubborn as it's your loss if they don't provide one and get away with it, not theirs.

But they did it on purpose to make sure I wouldn't be able to get another job, so if I ask for one now, it's basically like me admitting that I've been unemployed all this time?

Never gonna happen.
If I had 2 jobs, simultaneously, would I need a P45 from both employers, or just one? And would one employer know about the other?
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
But they did it on purpose to make sure I wouldn't be able to get another job, so if I ask for one now, it's basically like me admitting that I've been unemployed all this time?

Never gonna happen.

You could have been self employed. Or you could have been in education. Or you could have been travelling. I don't think they would care tbh?
I will probably be needing a P45 not for a job but for the Student Loans Company who are on my case recently.

I am 99% certain that my previous employers have been right ****** and very unprofessional and deliberately didn't send me anything to spite me for leaving.

So how can I go about getting it from them, without contacting them myself? I am not going to beg for it.

How long have you left this job for? In my experience, my previous employers usually send me my p45 about 1 - 2 months after I've left.

Does your previous employer have a Human Resources department? If they do, then you will need to contact this department as they are the ones who process these things. I think it'll be best to email them because speaking on the phone can be a bit awkward since it sounds like they were complete a*******

Send them a formal sounding email like: Dear so and so, I worked at this company from this date to this date as a (state your position). I am emailing because I never received my P45 from you and wonder if you can send it to me please. Regards, and then sign it with your name.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by muttley mode
How long have you left this job for? In my experience, my previous employers usually send me my p45 about 1 - 2 months after I've left.

Does your previous employer have a Human Resources department? If they do, then you will need to contact this department as they are the ones who process these things. I think it'll be best to email them because speaking on the phone can be a bit awkward since it sounds like they were complete a*******

Send them a formal sounding email like: Dear so and so, I worked at this company from this date to this date as a (state your position). I am emailing because I never received my P45 from you and wonder if you can send it to me please. Regards, and then sign it with your name.

Emailed them today and basically said if they don't reply to me within 7 days I will be contacting the HRMC.
They replied and told me that they sent it, and are "sorry that it didn't arrive to me". :rolleyes:

So, can I contact my local tax office because of this, as according to my former employer they have sent it already - it's not as though they will admit they burnt it.

So can the tax office do anything? Maybe my employer was hiding something?

Or shall I just use a P46 anyway?
They replied and told me that they sent it, and are "sorry that it didn't arrive to me". :rolleyes:

So, can I contact my local tax office because of this, as according to my former employer they have sent it already - it's not as though they will admit they burnt it.

So can the tax office do anything? Maybe my employer was hiding something?

Or shall I just use a P46 anyway?

If you can- use a p46
Otherwise if you really need a p45 then contact hmrc to see if they can do anything.
Original post by Emma:-)
If you can- use a p46
Otherwise if you really need a p45 then contact hmrc to see if they can do anything.

I found this guideline http://taxfix.co.uk/articles/claiming-tax-back-without-a-p45-or-p60/

It says that in the case of

"I have tried asking for a replacement P45 but my employer will not give me one?"

Your employer might not be able to give you a replacement P45, however they are required by law to provide a ‘statement of earnings’ for the last 6 years. A statement of earnings is sufficient replacement for a P45 or P60 and can be used to claim your tax refund from the Inland Revenue.

"What if they refuse?"

If they refuse, they are breaking the law. They can charge a small fee, and they can ask for proof of your identity but refusing is contravening the data protection act. If the payroll department refuses to give you the statement of earnings, ask to speak to their line manager or data protection act officer.
I found this guideline http://taxfix.co.uk/articles/claiming-tax-back-without-a-p45-or-p60/

It says that in the case of

"I have tried asking for a replacement P45 but my employer will not give me one?"

Your employer might not be able to give you a replacement P45, however they are required by law to provide a ‘statement of earnings’ for the last 6 years. A statement of earnings is sufficient replacement for a P45 or P60 and can be used to claim your tax refund from the Inland Revenue.

"What if they refuse?"

If they refuse, they are breaking the law. They can charge a small fee, and they can ask for proof of your identity but refusing is contravening the data protection act. If the payroll department refuses to give you the statement of earnings, ask to speak to their line manager or data protection act officer.

Id ask them for a replacement p45 or statement of earnings. Write them a letter, saying its a legal requirement for them to give you one and say you will take it further if they dont. That should hopefully be enough to frighten them into giving you one.
Reply 12
i got dissmissed from work in march still havent got my p45 why is this

Latest