The Student Room Group

Which UK political party best represents the 'middle class'?

If we're being stereotypical and say that Labour represents the working class whilst the Conservatives represent the upper middle/upper class; which party do you think best represents the views of the British middle class?
I thought the Tories did, no?
Reply 2
on the whole the tories

i dont even know who labour represents anymore
Original post by sdotd
on the whole the tories

i dont even know who labour represents anymore

Immigrants? xD
Original post by georgeandbertie
If we're being stereotypical and say that Labour represents the working class whilst the Conservatives represent the upper middle/upper class; which party do you think best represents the views of the British middle class?

The middle class are made up by the elites which are represented by the Tories.
The LibLabCon represents the minority who profit off of the nations destruction, then for the rest of us, there's UKIP...
Reply 6
Original post by JC.

Green are for hippies

The only person I see speaking out for the normal person stuck in the middle getting shafted both ways is Nigel Farage's UKIP.

I was looking at the greens idea in the Independent the other day and it seemed pretty solid would not vote UKIP. We were at a police commissioner talk where we had our three possible candidates and has to do a mock votes ( they were the real candidates) before they arrived the school said if you did not like their opinions please use words not physically attack them. When asked should we legalise cannabis the UKIP candidate said no because the Netherlands has. I am Dutch and this is a complete stereotype yes it is legalised but it is very tightly controlled with only Dutch nationals being allowed to have it they don't want drug tourism. That was all he said. Its fair to say a lot of people made comments (intellectual ones) in our school and he had no reply except basing it on stereotypes we didn't vote him in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mathscot
I was looking at the greens idea in the Independent the other day and it seemed pretty solid would not vote UKIP. We were at a police commissioner talk where we had our three possible candidates and has to do a mock votes ( they were the real candidates) before they arrived the school said if you did not like their opinions please use words not physically attack them. When asked should we legalise cannabis the UKIP candidate said no because the Netherlands has. I am Dutch and this is a complete stereotype yes it is legalised but it is very tightly controlled with only Dutch nationals being allowed to have it they don't want drug tourism. That was all he said. Its fair to say a lot of people made comments (intellectual ones) in our school and he had no reply except basing it on stereotypes we didn't vote him in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dutch drug policy is different for each province, eg: Amsterdam, foreigners can purchase and possess it.

Also regarding UKIP you have to remember that they won't go full libertarian until they get a majority, if you want to see prohibition removed, vote UKIP.
(edited 9 years ago)
This is interesting. Not only do you have a economic divide between the working class and the middle class there is also a social divide which is affecting people of all classes- There are people who are cosmopolitan( and therefore more open to immigration) and those who are not.

All three major parties are cosmopolitan at the moment which has left a lot of people disaffected. These are people who are worried about their national identity( These voters come from all economic backgrounds and include both traditional Labour and Tory voters). Many of them therefore have or are thinking about switching their allegiance to UkIP. I bet some are just completely disillusioned by politics.

It'll be interesting to see how many of these traditional voters the UKIP can attract by next year. If I'm correct, UKIP is economically a very working class party so it'll interesting to see how many middle class tories choose national identity over economical well-being. we'll find out.
Reply 9
Original post by otester
Dutch drug policy is different for each province, eg: Amsterdam, foreigners can purchase and possess it.

Also regarding UKIP you have to remember that they won't go full libertarian until they get a majority, if you want to see prohibition removed, vote UKIP.

You have completely misunderstood what I was saying. The UKIP man was condemning drugs not going for them. The green party are the ones that want to legalise drugs. Most Provence's in the Netherlands only allow residents Amsterdam allows tourists because its such a big trade 35% of tourists to Amsterdam visit a coffee shop. I don't mind either way. Its not a particularly dangerous drug and a lot of people take it already. In the Netherlands it generates about 400 million in tax which would otherwise go to criminals.
This article has all the info http://www.tdpf.org.uk/blog/cannabis-policy-netherlands-moving-forwards-not-backwards

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have completely misunderstood what I was saying. The UKIP man was condemning drugs not going for them. The green party are the ones that want to legalise drugs. Most Provence's in the Netherlands only allow residents Amsterdam allows tourists because its such a big trade 35% of tourists to Amsterdam visit a coffee shop. I don't mind either way. Its not a particularly dangerous drug and a lot of people take it already. In the Netherlands it generates about 400 million in tax which would otherwise go to criminals.
This article has all the info http://www.tdpf.org.uk/blog/cannabis-policy-netherlands-moving-forwards-not-backwards

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I didn't misunderstand, UKIP has authoritarians in it, but they aren't influential (thankfully).

All UKIP has to do is make it based on science at first, then the people will have to choose, all legal or all illegal.
I am not voting for UKIP the legalisation of cannabis was irrelevant. The man used stereotypes instead of giving his views.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am not voting for UKIP the legalisation of cannabis was irrelevant. The man used stereotypes instead of giving his views.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe write him/party regional HQ a letter explaining your frustrations, then they may reconsider him as a candidate.
I'd say there is a good case for Labour tbh. The Tories represent the middle in the same way Labour represent the working class, good for votes.

Could be the Lib Dems, not sure who they represent this week.
Reply 14
Depends what you mean by middle class, if you mean a privately educated person with a job in the city, living in a leafy suburb of the Home Counties that happens to be named Tarquin then probably the Tories; if you mean an academic living in a medium sized semi-detached house then Labour; if you use 'middle class' in an older sense (I.e those who own the means of production but do not own any hereditary titles) then any of the main parties really, though mainly the Tories.
indigobluesss
That is a typical Tory brainwashed answer. Labour supports humanity and even immigrants are humans if you hadn't noticed.

I see people who have holiday homes in almost totally British estates in Spain complaining about immigrants not integrating into society...why don't these hypocrites integrate into Spanish society?

Its called bigotry!
(edited 7 years ago)
I would say centre-right Conservative appeals to the majority of middle class
Reply 17
The BNP
Original post by otester
The LibLabCon represents the minority who profit off of the nations destruction, then for the rest of us, there's UKIP...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/three-members-of-the-house-5435171

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending