The Student Room Group

Major Maths Crisis!!!!!!! HELP PLEASE!!!

I received a D in my last maths exam and I really need
to get atleast a B in this.

I have been studying really hard but I'm still afraid I will do bad
or just get a C.

Any advice please? (I only have a week left to revise by the way!!!)
Should I practise with past papers? will I be able to get a B by doing that?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by cherryjpie99

or just get a C.

Thanks in advance!

Well, talk with your teacher and identify which areas you're struggling with.

Afterwards, watch tutorials on www.examsolutions.net This guy is an absolute legend. When you feel comfortable across the specification, try out some past papers (he goes through each question in great detail)
Hey, cherryjpie99!

It's entirely understandable why this is concerning, but the important thing to do is to not panic and not give up. Doing plenty of past papers is helpful, but you also need to understand how the answers in the mark scheme are reached if you got the question wrong. Simply knowing that you got a question wrong without knowing why is not beneficial at all, so go over tricky concepts with your teacher if you can. They want you to succeed as much as you do, so if they can help you then it's in both of your best interests to take that help. As R Dragon says, online tutorials can also be really helpful for grasping concepts. www.khanacademy.org may offer some useful resources, otherwise Youtube likely has tons of content!

Believe in yourself and you can do it!

Yours,
Grey
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Been there, it can be done - download past papers and solutions for as many years as you can and spend every day going through them all over and over and you should be able to pull that up to an A or B. Don't worry about understanding what you're doing too much to begin with, it'll come to you.
Reply 4
Original post by R Dragon
Well, talk with your teacher and identify which areas you're struggling with.

Afterwards, watch tutorials on www.examsolutions.net This guy is an absolute legend. When you feel comfortable across the specification, try out some past papers (he goes through each question in great detail)

That's funny I was just watching him right now!!
I've actually been using that website for weeks now but some areas I really struggle with, even the videos couldn't help.
Will try some past papers next.

Thanks for the help! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ThenameisGrey
Hey, cherryjpie99!

It's entirely understandable why this is concerning, but the important thing to do is to not panic and not give up. Doing plenty of past papers is helpful, but you also need to understand how the answers in the mark scheme are reached if you got the question wrong. Simply knowing that you got a question wrong without knowing why is not beneficial at all, so go over tricky concepts with your teacher if you can. They want you to succeed as much as you do, so if they can help you then it's in both of your best interests to take that help. As R Dragon says, online tutorials can also be really helpful for grasping concepts. www.khanacademy.org may offer some useful resources, otherwise Youtube likely has tons of content!

Believe in yourself and you can do it!

Yours,
Grey

Thanks for the advice :smile:
I do have moments were just get stressed then give up, but I need to keep trying.
I'm currently revising through the exam solutions website which has been a big help, I will also have a look at khanacademy videos.
Thanks for your suggestions and your time :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Beige101
Been there, it can be done - download past papers and solutions for as many years as you can and spend every day going through them all over and over and you should be able to pull that up to an A or B. Don't worry about understanding what you're doing too much to begin with, it'll come to you.

I will try doing many past papers, it will probably help me understand what type of questions are going to be on the exam.
The examboard is Edexcel so the questions in all the papers are quite similar so I'm sure they will give me an idea of how the exam will be.
Thanks for you time and help :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by cherryjpie99

or just get a C.

Thanks in advance!

Make sure you know how to do something. It sounds obvious I know, but as long as you have got the method for something sussed out, then you will be able to do all questions on that topic

once you think you have the method sussed out, do some past papers and look at what you have got wrong, and practice the method again

good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest