The Student Room Group

High-earning parents are leaving me on my own

So, I'll be studying pharmacy in September 2015 and no matter where I go I'll be moving out of my parent's house. My parents' pre-tax income is somewhere around £66,000 meaning my maintenance loan will be around £3,500 a year and I'm not eligible for any grants.

My problem is that my parents are leaving me on my own- They've promised that I'll not have a penny of support and I'm not going to be allowed to live at home. My maintenance loan won't even be enough to cover my accommodation costs and I'm not acc sure what to do about it.

Does anybody have any advice or has anyone been in a similar situation? Is it worth contacting student finance or is there not much they can do for me?

sorry if this doesn't deserve its own thread / belongs somewhere else, let me know. Thanks for any advice.

Scroll to see replies

Why have they refused to support you?
Reply 2
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Why have they refused to support you?

They've said it's a lesson in independence (lol) but I think they just can't afford it. I have two younger siblings so I kind of understand
Original post by rana96
They've said it's a lesson in independence (lol) but I think they just can't afford it. I have two younger siblings so I kind of understand

Have they bought another house or something? I have a more siblings and less than 31k income into the house and my parents can afford it....
Original post by rana96

Why are you adamant on not living at your parents house, if you understand that they can't afford to support you moving out?
Sorry to hear that dude!
try getting a job to support you?
or sit down with them and make them understand that it'll be too much for you to handle
Reply 6
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
Have they bought another house or something? I have a more siblings and less than 31k income into the house and my parents can afford it....

I don't exactly know what their reasoning is, and levelling with my parents isn't exactly easy :/ it wouldn't be a problem if they earned less and I had a couple extra hundred from loans/grants lol. first world problems
Original post by rana96

What?? My mum is unemployed and even she sends me money sometimes.

Your parents sound cruel. Would they be happy with you going hungry and generally not happy in uni just to teach you a lesson?
Reply 8
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
Why are you adamant on not living at your parents house, if you understand that they can't afford to support you moving out?

The OPs parents said that they can't stay at home anyways
Reply 9

I'm not adamant, they're kicking me out
Reply 10
Original post by Floppy.balls
Sorry to hear that dude!
try getting a job to support you?
or sit down with them and make them understand that it'll be too much for you to handle

Is there nothing student finance can do? My job atm doesn't pay much- I guess I'll have to start looking elsewhere. Thanks though
Original post by SP0TIFY
The OPs parents said that they can't stay at home anyways

Original post by rana96
I'm not adamant, they're kicking me out

My bad, didn't read the post thoroughly. The only way out I can see, is for you to either get a job over summer, or to take a gap year.
Reply 12
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
What?? My mum is unemployed and even she sends me money sometimes.

Your parents sound cruel. Would they be happy with you going hungry and generally not happy in uni just to teach you a lesson?

They're not cruel, they just have a really rigid set of values I guess. I doubt they'd turn me down if I was starving and turned up at their door but for now they've made it clear I'm on my own :/
Original post by rana96
So, I'll be studying pharmacy in September 2015 and no matter where I go I'll be moving out of my parent's house. My parents' pre-tax income is somewhere around £66,000 meaning my maintenance loan will be around £3,500 a year and I'm not eligible for any grants.

My problem is that my parents are leaving me on my own- They've promised that I'll not have a penny of support and I'm not going to be allowed to live at home. My maintenance loan won't even be enough to cover my accommodation costs and I'm not acc sure what to do about it.

Does anybody have any advice or has anyone been in a similar situation? Is it worth contacting student finance or is there not much they can do for me?

sorry if this doesn't deserve its own thread / belongs somewhere else, let me know. Thanks for any advice.

£66,000 isn't that much... That's about the amount my parents earn and given that we live in London, I'm not going to be able to get a lot of support from them either. Unfortunately, there really isn't a lot you can do - there are quite a lot of people in this situation ):
(edited 9 years ago)
The government deems them suitable to support you. And of course they should with that income, however it is unfair that because of your parents over-spending and lack of saving, you are the one who is going to suffer for it.

I'd suggest gap year, work full time, earn money to pay rent to the so called skint parents, and save up for uni. Good luck, and I'm sorry for your situation!
Original post by Chlorophile
£66,000 isn't that much... That's about the amount my parents earn and given that we live in London, I'm not going to be able to get a lot of support from them either. Unfortunately, there really isn't a lot you can do - there are quite a lot of people in this situation ):

£66,000 isn't that much? OK. :rofl:
Original post by TolerantBeing
£66,000 isn't that much? OK. :rofl:

It's not enough to be able to afford to give thousands of pounds to your children each year whilst trying to maintain a family and living in a not-so-cheap area...
You should be able to get a student bank account with an overdraft.
Reply 18
My bad, didn't read the post thoroughly. The only way out I can see, is for you to either get a job over summer, or to take a gap year.

It's alright :P

Though, to be fair, I think the current system of judging how much you receive as a result of parents income is flawed, as shown in this example.

Yet you'll get some parents on much less who will work their backsides off to supplement the greater grant their kids will receive.

:/
Original post by SP0TIFY
It's alright :P

Though, to be fair, I think the current system of judging how much you receive as a result of parents income is flawed, as shown in this example.

Yet you'll get some parents on much less who will work their backsides off to supplement the greater grant their kids will receive.

:/

The joys of being a university student in England; nothing quite compares.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending