The Student Room Group

How many hours a day should I be studying?

I'm currently studying for my gcses which are in may/june and I'm home tutored 3 days a week for an hour and a half each day but I just want to know how long I should actually be studying if I want great results?
Reply 1
As much as you can! Personally I would go for 4 and a half a day with small breaks, or you could make a timetable. It's upto you though. Good Luck :wink:
I didn't study for GCSEs until about February/March and got really good results and I did a few hours a day (I can't remember how many exactly). You probably don't need to be studying now, but if you really want to then I'd suggest just doing half an hour.
Reply 3
1 to 1 and 1/2 hours per subject, 4-5 subjects per day, 5 days per week.

I think that you know that your current work rate is not enough, simply because you are asking this question. This amount of time is a recipe for success. I was home-tutored (well, self-tutored) throughout my IGCSE's so I know what your situation is like.

EDIT: This is assuming that you are completely home-tutored and do not go to school. This amount of time is for total study, not just homework.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by VannR
1 to 1 and 1/2 hours per subject, 4-5 subjects per day, 5 days per week.

I think that you know that your current work rate is not enough, simply because you are asking this question. This amount of time is a recipe for success. I was home-tutored (well, self-tutored) throughout my IGCSE's so I know what your situation is like.

EDIT: This is assuming that you are completely home-tutored and do not go to school. This amount of time is for total study, not just homework.

Yeah I don't think it's enough, it's hard to keep motivated 24/7 and not get distracted, I want to achieve all these great things and I know I won't if I don't work for it and another thing is, does anybody have any tips on remembering things? I forget things so easily! 🙊
Reply 5
Original post by shys14
Yeah I don't think it's enough, it's hard to keep motivated 24/7 and not get distracted, I want to achieve all these great things and I know I won't if I don't work for it and another thing is, does anybody have any tips on remembering things? I forget things so easily! 🙊

Make revision notes on what you study, as you study them. This will allow you to go over what you learn much more easily in both the short and long-term. When you start a new topic, start making notes on it that same day and keep going over them and making additions as you learn the subject. During revision, your collection of revision notes that you made whilst studying the course will be like a god-send.

The best way to make these notes is on a computer or tablet device. This because the notes can easily be edited, changed and organised without having to dealing with stacks and stacks of paper, plus it is obviously much easier to make copies and back-ups this way.

Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by VannR
Make revision notes on what you study, as you study them. This will allow you to go over what you learn much more easily in both the short and long-term. When you start a new topic, start making notes on it that same day and keep going over them and making additions as you learn the subject. During revision, your collection of revision notes that you made whilst studying the course will be like a god-send.

The best way to make these notes is on a computer or tablet device. This because the notes can easily be edited, changed and organised without having to dealing with stacks and stacks of paper, plus it is obviously much easier to make copies and back-ups this way.

Good luck!

Thankyou for your help, it means alot! And everyone else who's commented! Really appreciate it 😃😃😃
Original post by shys14
I'm currently studying for my gcses which are in may/june and I'm home tutored 3 days a week for an hour and a half each day but I just want to know how long I should actually be studying if I want great results?

I literally did no revision until the Easter holidays/study leave. But then again, I spent most of my free time doing Art coursework (it was so time consuming!!).

You really don't need to study much for GCSE's. If you want to revise, just do a bit on the subjects that you find hard. You don't want to burn yourself out by exam time.
Original post by strawberrysnow
I literally did no revision until the Easter holidays/study leave. But then again, I spent most of my free time doing Art coursework (it was so time consuming!!).

You really don't need to study much for GCSE's. If you want to revise, just do a bit on the subjects that you find hard. You don't want to burn yourself out by exam time.

and what grades do you want to get? Cs or Ds? For GCSE you should revise at least 3 months prior to the exam, work on stuff you find harder more frequently
Reply 9
Original post by slg60
madame you are what is known as a tryhard.

Please take your negative sour comments elsewhere, your clearly unhappy with yourself that's why your trying to put other people down, I actually feel sorry for you, you must be so insecure about yourself that's why you try and bring other people down to your level. I really hope you feel better soon :-)
Original post by Jono-Wolf
and what grades do you want to get? Cs or Ds? For GCSE you should revise at least 3 months prior to the exam, work on stuff you find harder more frequently

9A*'s and 1A (which was 1 mark off an A*)....

I even got a few 100%'s in some of my subjects... And I think most of my friends studied about the same amount as me and they all got similar results.

And umm, I did say I started revising in the Easter holidays (which is about 3 months before)... And I also said to revise on stuff that you find difficult... Did you even read my comment properly?? :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11

I even got a few 100%'s in some of my subjects... And I think most of my friends studied about the same amount as me and they all got similar results.

I suppose it's because it's fresh in your mind as well? Because you studied it recently you remember more information?

And umm, I did say I started revising in the Easter holidays (which is about 3 months before)... And I also said to revise on stuff that you find difficult... Did you even read my comment properly?? :confused:

Impressive, you must be one hella of a smart cookie to get that many A* with a lack of revision. If I'm not mistaken Easter Holidays are April-May then that leaves around 1 month and a bit
As much as you need to. I hardly did any revision (4 hours in total maybe?), still did decently (6 A*s, 6As)

Hardly anyone cares about GCSEs tho :dontknow:
Original post by shys14
I suppose it's because it's fresh in your mind as well? Because you studied it recently you remember more information?

Exactly! I think my memory's a bit of the short-term type so even though I could remember loads for the exam, I literally can't remember most of the things I studied during then! XD

And also, I was always doing my homework properly and actually listening/working during class throughout the year so it wasn't like I was re-teaching myself the whole syllabus in a day.
Original post by Jono-Wolf
Impressive, you must be one hella of a smart cookie to get that many A* with a lack of revision. If I'm not mistaken Easter Holidays are April-May then that leaves around 1 month and a bit

Haha well thank you very much! And oops, did not realise that. But I think a lot of people also only started revision in the Easter holidays too?

I think that for GCSEs, as long as you do your homework properly and listen to the teacher (instead of messing about with your friends), you will be fine. Because what I found was that during Easter, I was just refreshing my memory and everything just seemed to make sense :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending