The Student Room Group

help, entering old and new AS grades on ucas?

I am on my third year at college trying to fill in UCAS application. In my first year i took 2 alevel subjects and did not get the grades i needed so i retook them at AS again in my second year.
I have 2 certificated with the 2 different years grades both for the same 2 AS subjects. Do i need to put both sets down or just the higher more recent ones?
Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Are you asking how you should fill in your AS grades? If you are, AS level isn't a full qualification so it's not compulsory to declare your AS grades, but you can if you want to. I didn't declare mine so I put my A-level subjects as pending and I have 3 offers already, so I can say that it's not a do or die situation. Though if you'd like to be 100% sure given in your situation, I'd consult whoever is in charge of sending your application :smile:
Reply 2
Put your AS grades in and then put your A2 grades in as pending and you will be fine
Original post by laurajanef
I am on my third year at college. In my first year i took 2 alevel subjects and did not get the grades i needed so i retook them at AS again in my second year.
I have 2 certificated with the 2 different years grades both for the same 2 AS subjects. Do i need to put both sets down or just the higher more recent ones?
Thanks

See Minerva's thread in this forum for declaring A-level results. She says (unless it is Maths):

"Therefore, the following have to be entered, as applicable, on your application

all GCSEs graded A* to G (yes, including that embarrassing D for ICT you got in Year 9)

all your AS grades (A-E), even if you are taking (or have taken) the subjects to A level, and/or plan to resit modules to improve them, unless you are in a private school that has a policy of not certificating AS levels in Year 12. All state schools (in England at least) are now certificating AS levels in Year 12 routinely, where before a minority didn't; if in doubt about whether a result has been certificated ask your exams co-ordinator

all your A level grades (A*-E), if applicable

if you have completed resits and been awarded a new grade (better or worse) for an AS or A level, or IB, or anything else, you need to enter BOTH results

Remember that AS levels are a qualification in their own right, even though they can also contribute to achieving the requirements for a full A level. This is why they have to be entered separately, even if you are applying after you have completed an A level in the same subject.

A U grade in an AS or an A level does not have to be entered UNLESS you plan to resit it. However, the 'check this before you pay and send' page in Apply includes this statement: "Don't forget that all subjects for which you have received a result must be entered, including those you have failed." That seems to mean that everything must be entered, even if you failed it and even if you don't plan to resit. The page I've linked to above does not make this clear, so you may like to ring UCAS and see what they tell you! Update: it appears that the UCAS advisers answering the helpline are telling people that U grades must be entered regardless of whether you are re-sitting the subject or not."

Since you say that both years were certificated, it looks like you must declare both sets of results.
Reply 4
Original post by Holmstock
See Minerva's thread in this forum for declaring A-level results. She says (unless it is Maths):

"Therefore, the following have to be entered, as applicable, on your application

all GCSEs graded A* to G (yes, including that embarrassing D for ICT you got in Year 9)

all your AS grades (A-E), even if you are taking (or have taken) the subjects to A level, and/or plan to resit modules to improve them, unless you are in a private school that has a policy of not certificating AS levels in Year 12. All state schools (in England at least) are now certificating AS levels in Year 12 routinely, where before a minority didn't; if in doubt about whether a result has been certificated ask your exams co-ordinator

all your A level grades (A*-E), if applicable

if you have completed resits and been awarded a new grade (better or worse) for an AS or A level, or IB, or anything else, you need to enter BOTH results

Remember that AS levels are a qualification in their own right, even though they can also contribute to achieving the requirements for a full A level. This is why they have to be entered separately, even if you are applying after you have completed an A level in the same subject.

A U grade in an AS or an A level does not have to be entered UNLESS you plan to resit it. However, the 'check this before you pay and send' page in Apply includes this statement: "Don't forget that all subjects for which you have received a result must be entered, including those you have failed." That seems to mean that everything must be entered, even if you failed it and even if you don't plan to resit. The page I've linked to above does not make this clear, so you may like to ring UCAS and see what they tell you! Update: it appears that the UCAS advisers answering the helpline are telling people that U grades must be entered regardless of whether you are re-sitting the subject or not."

Since you say that both years were certificated, it looks like you must declare both sets of results.

This is a big help thankyou! i have tried to look up but people have conflicting answers! so i should lay it out like so?:

Mathematics(2013) E
Mathematics(2014) A

Physics (2013)D
Physics (2014)B
Original post by laurajanef
This is a big help thankyou! i have tried to look up but people have conflicting answers! so i should lay it out like so?:

Mathematics(2013) E
Mathematics(2014) A

Physics (2013)D
Physics (2014)B

If you did them both at the same school/college, then that's fine. If it was different colleges, you would need to put the 2013 results down separately from the 2014 results.
Reply 6
Original post by Holmstock
If you did them both at the same school/college, then that's fine. If it was different colleges, you would need to put the 2013 results down separately from the 2014 results.

Ok, Thankyou!
Minerva's thread is here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1744719 (you just need the original post on that thread).

She does give further info on Maths in that thread, but that is only if the results were not certificated.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending