The Student Room Group

MPhil in Finance and Economics - Cambridge 2015/2016

Hello everyone!

I just applied for the MPhil in Finance and Economics at Cambridge! Now that the waiting commences, I was wondering whether other people here applied for the same programme.

Quick overview of my application:

Bachelor in economics
Top Dutch university in economics
Among the top 5% students
GRE: 167Q/166V/5.0AW

Looking forward to any replies!

Scroll to see replies

Hiya! I noticed that you haven't received a response yet. You may have better luck over in the Cambridge forum. You can find it here.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Actually the cambridge postgrad entry thread in general postgrad may be better than the cambridge forum, which is largely populated by undergrads/undergrad entry threads. Though the finance specific threads do normally stay in this forum, albeit it seems much quieter than previous years.
Reply 3
Original post by sj27
Actually the cambridge postgrad entry thread in general postgrad may be better than the cambridge forum, which is largely populated by undergrads/undergrad entry threads. Though the finance specific threads do normally stay in this forum, albeit it seems much quieter than previous years.

That is what I thought! I posted in both nevertheless.

Good to hear that it's quieter than normally :smile: perhaps less applicants!
Sounds like a good profile. Is this the only programme that you applied for?
Reply 5
Original post by thebigboy01
Sounds like a good profile. Is this the only programme that you applied for?

Hello! I will also apply for MSc Financial Economics at Oxford.
Ah ok. Heard that that's a very tough course to get into. Why not the MPhil in Economics actually at Cambridge? I know that you can only apply for one of the two at Cambridge, but I think that you'd have a huge chance there given the fact that you're doing a bachelor in Economics. Maybe worth switching. Can also recommend to look at LSE btw.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Ah ok. Heard that that's a very tough course to get into. Why not the MPhil in Economics actually at Cambridge? I know that you can only apply for one of the two at Cambridge, but I think that you'd have a huge chance there given the fact that you're doing a bachelor in Economics. Maybe worth switching. Can also recommend to look at LSE btw.

Yes, MSc Financial Economics at Oxford is very competitive from what I've read.

I chose for MPhil in Finance and Economics because I really like the combination of the two! So that is the reason :smile:

And I will consider LSE indeed! Probably the Finance and Economics masters!
Original post by greenpiggy
Yes, MSc Financial Economics at Oxford is very competitive from what I've read.

I chose for MPhil in Finance and Economics because I really like the combination of the two! So that is the reason :smile:

And I will consider LSE indeed! Probably the Finance and Economics masters!

Ok, that makes sense :smile:. Then I'd go for Cam F&E or LSE F&E indeed, Oxford MFE might not be what you'e looking for, from what I've heard it's a very quant heavy degree as compared to a regular finance/economics degree.
Reply 9
Ok, that makes sense :smile:. Then I'd go for Cam F&E or LSE F&E indeed, Oxford MFE might not be what you'e looking for, from what I've heard it's a very quant heavy degree as compared to a regular finance/economics degree.

The quantitative aspects actually attract me :smile:. I am very quantitatively oriented, so econometrics and statistics do not scare me :tongue:, on the contrary!
Reply 10
Hi,everyone! I am interested in Mphil fe or Mphil e in Cambridge. which one do you think is less competitive?
Reply 11
Original post by MARK Z
Hi,everyone! I am interested in Mphil fe or Mphil e in Cambridge. which one do you think is less competitive?

Hard to tell... No data is published for the MPhil in Finance and Economics yet...

One could reason that because the MPhil Finance is the most competitive masters, the MPhil in Finance and Economics will be in between the acceptance rate of the MPhil in Finance and MPhil in Economics. Making the MPhil in Finance and Economics relatively more competitive.

Or, because the programme is less known, the competition is less fierce :smile: which would be my preferred explanation.:tongue:

But, overall, I think it is difficult to conclude anything about the competitiveness.
The quantitative aspects actually attract me :smile:. I am very quantitatively oriented, so econometrics and statistics do not scare me :tongue:, on the contrary!

Haha, okay then. You're a bit late though for Ox, since their second stage has already passed, from what I've heard not many applicants get in anymore in the other stages (unless you've got lots of great interns etc). And they charge 100p just for the application - money making machine if you ask me. But who knows :smile:. Do you have any preference ranking in mind anyway between Cam/Ox/LSE? I'm applying for Cam and for LSE but it would be hard to decide. Guess it comes down to who gives me an offer :wink:. Hoping that I even get one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi everyone,

I am an early bird, going to apply for MPhil F&E next fall for entry 2016. Could you please quickly evaluate my profile:

-Studying economics at a prestigious German-speaking university, currently 2.1 but on my way to 1st (but then again, not sure about equivalents, but within 10-15% of ref group, I guess). My course is probably more mathematical than many others in econ.
-Most likely will do an exchange semester at University of Chicago (or elsewhere, not top-tier US, waiting for answer)
-Experience: payment startup analyst intern, student assistant for emeritus prof, other unrelated + planning to do IB internship
-Extracurricular: student organization, competitions, online courses, a bit sport
-ielts 8.0

Also have a few bad grades (3) from important subjects, but here the grade 3 means 62.5-75% so I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance guys!
Reply 14
Original post by bernat101
Hi everyone,

I am an early bird, going to apply for MPhil F&E next fall for entry 2016. Could you please quickly evaluate my profile:

-Studying economics at a prestigious German-speaking university, currently 2.1 but on my way to 1st (but then again, not sure about equivalents, but within 10-15% of ref group, I guess). My course is probably more mathematical than many others in econ.
-Most likely will do an exchange semester at University of Chicago (or elsewhere, not top-tier US, waiting for answer)
-Experience: payment startup analyst intern, student assistant for emeritus prof, other unrelated + planning to do IB internship
-Extracurricular: student organization, competitions, online courses, a bit sport
-ielts 8.0

Also have a few bad grades (3) from important subjects, but here the grade 3 means 62.5-75% so I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance guys!

Hey!

It looks good to me! But I am a Dutch student still in the application round, so not really a trustworthy source. :tongue:

University of Chicago would be awesome :smile:

My weakness is that I do not have any internships, which you will hopefully have! I have done a fully funded research abroad to compensate for this, I hope :smile:.
Hey!

It looks good to me! But I am a Dutch student still in the application round, so not really a trustworthy source. :tongue:

University of Chicago would be awesome :smile:

My weakness is that I do not have any internships, which you will hopefully have! I have done a fully funded research abroad to compensate for this, I hope :smile:.

Hey, thanks! Your profile looks also pretty strong. Good luck with your application and keep us updated!
Reply 16
Original post by MARK Z

Heard from my friends who are now in fe and e. As for their average marks, the minimum of those who got in mphil fe is 4 points higher than the min of those in mphil e.
Reply 17
I just got rejected :frown:
Reply 18
I just got rejected :frown:

So sorry. I hope you will get admission in other universities. So did they begin releasing results, because I know that usually they come out in February?
Reply 19
Original post by Shokh
So sorry. I hope you will get admission in other universities. So did they begin releasing results, because I know that usually they come out in February?

Perhaps if you are either exceptionally good, or exceptionally bad, they will filter your applications before?

Guess I am on the wrong side :P.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending