The Student Room Group

Immigration

Poll

Your thoughts on immigration

Both Labour and the Tories have the past two weeks announced that they will go much further with 2 and 4 year welfare pushbacks respectively.

So i've opened this thread to ask you what you want doing with immigration.

My personal view is that while i don't oppose these welfare measures, i think that the coalition misses the point in banging on about EU immigrants while allowing a man to marry somebody in Pakistan and bring her over or keeping asylum at the rate it is.

I'd much rather..

>Abolish the right to family life for spouses (you can bring 3 children but both spouses must be reasonably qualified rather than bringing a wife who may never work - no welfare for any more)
>Abolish pretty much all asylum
>Abolish Muslim male immigration
>Veto further EU expansion other than nations with a GDP per capita in excess of $30k
>Abolish non-EU immigration from countries with a GDP per capita below $30k
>Allow immigrants from nations with a GDP per capita of $30k to purchase permanent citizenship for £10k each subject to proof of English and Maths C grade equivalent, proof of no criminal record and contingent on study or employment within 12 months

Scroll to see replies

Have you heard of something called "Humanity"?
Reply 2
Original post by Rakas21
Both Labour and the Tories have the past two weeks announced that they will go much further with 2 and 4 year welfare pushbacks respectively.

My personal view is that while i don't oppose these welfare measures, i think that the coalition misses the point in banging on about EU immigrants while allowing a man to marry somebody in Pakistan and bring her over or keeping asylum at the rate it is.

I'd much rather..

>Abolish the right to family life for spouses (you can bring 3 children but both spouses must be reasonably qualified rather than bringing a wife who may never work - no welfare for any more)
>Veto further EU expansion other than nations with a GDP per capita in excess of $30k
>Allow immigrants from nations with a GDP per capita of $30k to purchase permanent citizenship for £10k each subject to proof of English and Maths C grade equivalent, proof of no criminal record and contingent on study or employment within 12 months

I agree. Theres too many immigrants coning over here these days. I see indians, east asians, polish people and russians everywhere compared to back in last century, it was a rarity. I'm not being racist, just stating facts.
It is a question of numbers.

From the years 1066 to 1996, an estimated 250,000 people came to Britain.

In the year 2014, British immigration reached its highest ever level in all of British history.

It sounds bad and it is.
I'm a minority in my own town. I shouldn't be a minority in my own town in ENGLAND! My town might as well be in Poland.
Reply 5
Original post by James2810
I'm a minority in my own town. I shouldn't be a minority in my own town in ENGLAND! My town might as well be in Poland.

Are the Polish really that bad though.

I mean my gripe with all this is that i can understand opposing Muslim and African immigration because they tend to segregate themselves but I've never had problems working with Poles and their shops have some cool stuff, they tend to be friendly once you engage them.
Original post by Rakas21

I mean my gripe with all this is that i can understand opposing Muslim and African immigration because they tend to segregate themselves but I've never had problems working with Poles and their shops have some cool stuff, they tend to be friendly once you engage them.

I admit some Polish people are nice.

There's a Polish family that live next door to me. Walking to school I have to walk past my local shops and there is always a big group of Polish people drinking and smoking there in the mornings. Most days they repeatedly swear at me when I walk past them. I don't hear it as much I would do because I have my headphones on listening to music.

My Dad's friends wife got robbed at knife point in her own house by a few Polish people and one of my friends got attacked by a couple of Polish people.

It could just be the area that I live in though.
Reply 7
I'm fed up of hearing about this!
Original post by Rakas21

I'd much rather..

This sounds like a good plan. Although the Muslim community would feel very left out of society, ignored, and unliked with that policy.

Isn't the only problem, the quality of the people coming here ? If 20 million white Americans of British ancestry wanted to come to Britain, people would largely feel fine about it.

Original post by Chlorophile

heard of something called resources, culture, "preservation" "only enough to go around"

Original post by jadys10
I agree. Theres too many immigrants coning over here these days. I see indians, east asians, polish people and russians everywhere compared to back in last century, it was a rarity. I'm not being racist, just stating facts.

Okay. I can't argue with what you saw with your own eyes.

Okay, that's fair enough and understandable

Original post by Rakas21

So we need a ethnic hierarchy based immigration policy ?

There's a Polish family that live next door to me. Walking to school I have to walk past my local shops and there is always a big group of Polish people drinking and smoking there in the mornings. Most days they repeatedly swear at me when I walk past them. I don't hear it as much I would do because I have my headphones on listening to music.

My Dad's friends wife got robbed at knife point in her own house by a few Polish people and one of my friends got attacked by a couple of Polish people.

Same with all groups, some bad, some nice, some in between.

Original post by Gales

It will only get worse and the discussions more angry, the more people ignore each other, don't listen to each other, and when politicians break promises and do nothing.

Cameron said tens of thousands. 400,000 will arrive by the end of 2014. That has upset people and made them lose trust.

What if you booked 5 people into a restaurant and a few hundred showed up ?
Original post by Rakas21

What the ****?
Original post by democracyforum

In the year 2014, British immigration reached its highest ever level in all of British history.

It sounds bad and it is.

Where did you find this statistic? Was it in your imagination? Because in 1991 alone, over 300,000 people immigrated to Britain.
Reply 11
non eu immigration is the biggest problem in this country and our way of life
Reply 12
This sounds like a good plan. Although the Muslim community would feel very left out of society, ignored, and unliked with that policy.

Isn't the only problem, the quality of the people coming here ? If 20 million white Americans of British ancestry wanted to come to Britain, people would largely feel fine about it.

So we need a ethnic hierarchy based immigration policy ?

I imagine they do already but then their religion is not compatible with British identity (nor western values in general). Plus it's not like i'm proposing deportation or anything.

Yes i think so, we should increase immigration from the Anglosphere.

It would be beneficial although aside from oil rich Muslim monarchies a GDP per capita threshold would take care of that since the west and developed Asia make up the bulk of wealthy countries per capita.

Original post by Tutankhamun
What the ****?

Asylum - We are not the first safe country for anybody and asylum seekers in many cases are among the lowest skilled and least likely to speak English. It's tough but they can go somewhere else.

Muslims - Islam is not compatible with western liberalism. Additionally, Muslims in general seem to segregate themselves and crowd round each other (see Bradford).
Reply 13
Having controls on immigration has no moral issue nor should it be seen as racist.

No you're not.
Original post by Gales

Yahoo answers have shut down their immigration section

or maybe I'm just banned from it

Original post by jadys10

You didn't see them

It was an optical illusion.
Reply 16

I agree that immigration has gone too far. But I'm not really bothered so long as they get a job and contribute to the country. What bothers me is if individuals come here just to immediately claim benefits and have no intention of getting a job.
Rakas21

So how are you going to decide? If they come from a Muslim majority country? If they have a Muslim name? If they look a bit tan?

And why not the women anyway? Why just the blokes?

This is the problem with spending most of your day on TSR and the HOC shooting the breeze with other morons who have yet to venture out of their basements - pretty soon you really begin to believe that the **** people come out with on here is a) workable and b) civilized.

Yeah great idea, we can discriminate according to religion (yes that's what it is). Never mind how that will make us look to the rest of the world or how it will only increase tensions within this country itself.

Back to the drawing board with you, "ex-Prime Minister of the TSR House of Commons".

(PS: You automatically lose if you accuse me of being a Muslim or religious in any way, shape or form)
Personally, being an immigrant from the EU living in England for 10 years, I think that the government should provide free English language lessons for first 6 months or so. At the end of the course all the immigrants should take a test and if they haven't made an effort to learn the language then they're out.

It's important for the immigrants' culture to be compatible with the country they immigrate to, clearly isn't working with the muslim community.
Example of that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZBaJU_Cvo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZWKQ9GxPJI

Unfortunately the future of our beautiful rich European culture looks like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E50JaCQNng

I mean, of course there are nutters from all over the place Germany, USA, Poland, Lithuania, Sweden and if a certain individual behaves in an inappropriate manner then they should definitely be dealt with, however we can see what an impact the middle east immigration has had on us.

When will Europe realise..
Yahoo answers have shut down their immigration section

or maybe I'm just banned from it

You didn't see them

It was an optical illusion.

Original post by Captain Haddock
No you're not.

Original post by WokSz
Having controls on immigration has no moral issue nor should it be seen as racist.

Original post by Rakas21

Muslims - Islam is not compatible with western liberalism. Additionally, Muslims in general seem to segregate themselves and crowd round each other (see Bradford).

Original post by sdotd
non eu immigration is the biggest problem in this country and our way of life

Where did you find this statistic?

Original post by Tutankhamun
What the ****?

Okay. I can't argue with what you saw with your own eyes.

What if you booked 5 people into a restaurant and a few hundred showed up ?

Original post by Gales

Original post by Rakas21

It sounds bad and it is.

Original post by jadys10

Original post by Rakas21

Original post by Rakas21

I'd much rather..

I do support migration where it is beneficial to do so. Net migration as a number isn't something I'm too worried about, well not in UK at least. It is something I'm concerned in Norway and Singapore but not in UK. Primarily due to the size of the economy as well as available land mass.

Migration that isn't beneficial :-
1) Muslim migration. Creates too many issues and generally becomes a bigger problem when there is a left-wing government.
2) Migration from Africa and Middle East. Not needed for the same reason as muslims. Eventually the issue of multiculturalism etc becomes a problem that is more expensive to fix than the benefits they bring. Not that 1 &2 brings any economic benefits since they are generally a drain to an economy.
3) Refugees. There really isn't a need for countries in the northern hemisphere to provide them when there are plenty of safe countries nearer to the flashpoints. Numbers should be capped at maximum 10k and housed in camps or perhaps wall up a low population village and store them there.
4) Migration of the low skilled. Personally a fan of the point-based system used by Australia and Canada. However due to the poor quality of labour force UK has, a Singapore style permit system might be a better option. Have 3 categories of employment visas. A Work Permit for jobs that don't require any qualifications, perhaps a cap of 100k per year and each person can only be holding a Work Permit for 3 years, therefore ghettos don't form. Then a dual category Employment Pass, both of which requires qualifications and only this Pass allows for resettlement. Perhaps a cap of 200k per year for high skilled and uncapped for high value professionals should do the trick.
5) Roma/Gypsies. No idea why this is even tolerated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending