The Student Room Group

STEP worries.

I'm really worried about STEP.

To get in to King's College [Firm] for Maths I need AAAa [a - AS Further Maths] + 3 in any STEP Paper.

The 3 A's and A in AS FM is not a worry for me but STEP is.

I'll be taking STEP I this year. By the end of the year I'll have sound knowledge of C1-4, S1-2, FP1, M1, D1.

How hard would it be for me given I start prep around mid December and get a substantial amount of practice in? I'm looking at past papers atm like :eek:

I need a 3, so anything but a fail would be fine for me.
Reply 1
Why wait till mid December to start the prep? Just start as soon as possible, I know in my school mathematicians requiring STEP did their prep and revision sessions a year before they were due to take the actual exams.
They crammed in as much practice as possible, when homework was finished and they were taking a revision break, they'd fill their breaks with STEP practice.
As long as you put in the work and effect, it shouldn't be too hard to not fail and good luck :smile:
Reply 2
STEP is mostly about practice and spotting patterns in the questions, looking at the question and saying hey, I've seen something similar to that before.

If you start preparing in December you will be fine. Do as many past papers as you can and ask your teacher for guidance when you are stuck at a question.

Also remember that STEP allows a lot of time for every question as you have 3 hours on the exam. So the questions
aren't meant to be done the moment you read them like in A level maths papers, but you first have to think for some time before you start doing it. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by edothero
I'm really worried about STEP.

To get in to King's College [Firm] for Maths I need AAAa [a - AS Further Maths] + 3 in any STEP Paper.

The 3 A's and A in AS FM is not a worry for me but STEP is.

I'll be taking STEP I this year. By the end of the year I'll have sound knowledge of C1-4, S1-2, FP1, M1, D1.

How hard would it be for me given I start prep around mid December and get a substantial amount of practice in? I'm looking at past papers atm like :eek:

I need a 3, so anything but a fail would be fine for me.

Does King College London Ask for step now (for maths I assume)
Is this because you do not have full further maths?
Original post by TeeEm

Yes. A merit in AEA will also do.
Reply 5
Original post by TeeEm
Does King College London Ask for step now (for maths I assume)

Yeah, my school didn't provide me with the opportunity to do A2 FM so I wasn't able to do it. They want an A for AS FM and 3 in any STEP/Merit in AEA. I'll be taking STEP I.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by edothero
Yeah, my school didn't provide me with the opportunity to do A2 FM so I wasn't able to do it. They want an A for AS FM and 3 in any STEP/Merit in AEA. I'll be taking STEP I.

I was wondering because some student I know went into Kings for straight Maths with

A* maths
A further maths
B physics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending