The Student Room Group

Speech & Language Therapy 2015

Scroll to see replies

I just want to wish everyone the best of luck with interviews next week! Fingers crossed for you x
Reading this thread has got me excited for when I can apply myself and nervous on everyone's behalf. :smile: Good luck with all your interviews.
Reply 502
Original post by Chipperpipper
Hello!
I am a mature student at the University of Sheffield. I want to say, "don't be put off by their ridiculous interview process" because I nearly was and am having a ball! Sheffield is great and the department of human communication sciences are much more 'sorted,' supportive and helpful than the whole of their application process would have you believe. I don't know if it will be the same this year but I had a written interview, a group "discussion" and a 5min 'chat' with a visiting clinician who hadn't read my personal statement and didn't know anything about the University/course content, etc. I then had a very long wait to find out if I had a place.

I'm sure you will make the most of wherever you end up and to be honest, doubt any course is better than any other (perhaps some are more 'academic' or 'hands on' than others?) I was a SEN teacher in Bristol and am about to turn 29. I have a 2:1 in primary teaching but got BBC at Alevel (not enough points for most of the courses I applied for - and I was successful for all 5 courses). My advice to those who are not successful is to soak up as much experience as possible and don't be shy to show passion!

This is really really useful advice, thank you, especially as I'm applying to Sheffield as a mature student of a similar age as you. I also didn't do that well in my a-levels equivalent (abroad) but got a first in my BA degree, linguistics with a focus on language pathology, and lots of relevant additional modules. It was a bit humiliating to enter all of my awful a-levels into the ucas system though.
Are you in your first year? How long did it take for you to get offered an interview?
Sheffield is great indeed, I moved here last year and love it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey all!

It is nice to see a 2015 page!

I'm a first year at DMU. If you have any questions, I am happy to help.

Good luck with your applications.

:biggrin:
Original post by Chipperpipper
Hello!
I am a mature student at the University of Sheffield. I want to say, "don't be put off by their ridiculous interview process" because I nearly was and am having a ball! Sheffield is great and the department of human communication sciences are much more 'sorted,' supportive and helpful than the whole of their application process would have you believe. I don't know if it will be the same this year but I had a written interview, a group "discussion" and a 5min 'chat' with a visiting clinician who hadn't read my personal statement and didn't know anything about the University/course content, etc. I then had a very long wait to find out if I had a place.

I'm sure you will make the most of wherever you end up and to be honest, doubt any course is better than any other (perhaps some are more 'academic' or 'hands on' than others?) I was a SEN teacher in Bristol and am about to turn 29. I have a 2:1 in primary teaching but got BBC at Alevel (not enough points for most of the courses I applied for - and I was successful for all 5 courses). My advice to those who are not successful is to soak up as much experience as possible and don't be shy to show passion!

I wish I had a visiting clinician instead of the member of staff I had for my individual interview!
Original post by evantej
I wish I had a visiting clinician instead of the member of staff I had for my individual interview!

Sheffield is currently my top choice. Did you have a really bad experience with them? :unsure:
Does anyone know how many places there was last year at Sheffield for speech science??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck to everyone with interviews this week. Looking forward to meeting some of you tomorrow at BCU.
Original post by laurenemily03
Does anyone know how many places there was last year at Sheffield for speech science??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi I'm a first year BMedSci Sheffielder. There are 20 of us on the course + 1 international :smile:
Reply 509
Original post by laurenemily03

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's (only) 20!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Those who have heard from Reading uni, did you recieve an email saying that they had received your application? Because I sent mine off 2 weeks ago and they're the only uni I haven't heard from
Reply 511
Original post by Federzoni
Those who have heard from Reading uni, did you recieve an email saying that they had received your application? Because I sent mine off 2 weeks ago and they're the only uni I haven't heard from

Reading don't send an email saying they have your application, instead I got an email 2-3 weeks after applying giving me a questionnaire. I have yet to hear anything else. Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by anomea
Reading don't send an email saying they have your application, instead I got an email 2-3 weeks after applying giving me a questionnaire. I have yet to hear anything else. Hope that helps :smile:

Ah thank you so much, that's put my mind at rest haha :smile:
Original post by opalescent
Sheffield is currently my top choice. Did you have a really bad experience with them? :unsure:

I have actually had two bad interview experiences at Sheffield (first was in a different subject mind). :tongue:

I know I was a very good candidate and performed well in everything 'except' the individual interview. The interviewer basically questioned my motives for wanting to do the course, and suggested I could go down a research route instead (in a way that is more than a hint). I challenged this saying I had already considered this but knew what I wanted to do, and she clearly did not take kindly to this. I knew as soon as I came out of the room that I was not getting an offer. It was palpable. I know I was not the only person who felt the interviewer was looking for reasons to reject people rather than accept them.

In the grand scheme of things, Sheffield was my third choice so I was not overly concerned when an offer did not come through. But it was my first interview and made me a bit more concerned for the later ones. I also know in retrospect that on the whole good candidates get in somewhere but different universities want different things so even good candidates might get rejected from somewhere. It is about not losing sight of that and making sensible choices when you apply. The problem is when people put all their hope on one university... :s-smilie:
Just to let you all know I have just received an interview for Sheffield on 13th Jan
Reply 515
Original post by Pinkpout
Hey all!

It is nice to see a 2015 page!

I'm a first year at DMU. If you have any questions, I am happy to help.

Good luck with your applications.

:biggrin:

Ahh I think de montfort will be my top choice! how is the course going? is there a lot of science? how are you finding the city? I'm worried it's a bit small for me but the union seems lovely.

Currently shadowing a slt at the moment. Finally sending my statement after on Wednesday! Hope everyone's applications are going well.
Original post by jisici
Ahh I think de montfort will be my top choice! how is the course going? is there a lot of science? how are you finding the city? I'm worried it's a bit small for me but the union seems lovely.

Currently shadowing a slt at the moment. Finally sending my statement after on Wednesday! Hope everyone's applications are going well.

I love the course! Yes, there is a science module however, not everyone has A Level Biology so the course prepares everyone to the same level.

The City is lovely, very friendly and welcoming. Attend some of the open days as this will provide you with a chance to 'get a feel' for each Uni.

Good luck!
:smile:
Ive just received an interview for sheffield too! i don't know what to expect from it mind... i wish i knew how to prepare properly for it! :frown:
Original post by saraheleanorxo
Ive just received an interview for sheffield too! i don't know what to expect from it mind... i wish i knew how to prepare properly for it! :frown:

I suppose you just have to read up about the Speech therapy career and do practice questions like you would a job interview. :smile: you'll be fine
Reply 519
Original post by evantej
I have actually had two bad interview experiences at Sheffield (first was in a different subject mind). :tongue:

I know I was a very good candidate and performed well in everything 'except' the individual interview. The interviewer basically questioned my motives for wanting to do the course, and suggested I could go down a research route instead (in a way that is more than a hint). I challenged this saying I had already considered this but knew what I wanted to do, and she clearly did not take kindly to this. I knew as soon as I came out of the room that I was not getting an offer. It was palpable. I know I was not the only person who felt the interviewer was looking for reasons to reject people rather than accept them.

In the grand scheme of things, Sheffield was my third choice so I was not overly concerned when an offer did not come through. But it was my first interview and made me a bit more concerned for the later ones. I also know in retrospect that on the whole good candidates get in somewhere but different universities want different things so even good candidates might get rejected from somewhere. It is about not losing sight of that and making sensible choices when you apply. The problem is when people put all their hope on one university... :s-smilie:

That's interesting,. My interview experience with Sheffield is really good! When I first applied from New Zealand two years ago, I wasn't actually able to attend the interview in person. They offered to skype instead and went out of their way to find a date/time that worked for me and to let me do the group task etc without an actual group. The interviewer was extraordinarily friendly and the whole interview felt more like a chat. I didn't get in after all but was given a very good and specific feedback and encouraged to reapply.

By now, I have met some of the staff in person and still have a pretty good impression of the HCS department.

I definitely agree with you on one point though, different universities look for different candidates, and it's better to not set your heart on a particular one too much (although that's exactly what I'm doing 😁).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest