Manchester
Warwick
Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
UCL
Warwick
The rest I don't give a **** about choose your pick.
Oxford
Cambridge
Imperial
LSE
UCL
KCL
Edinburgh
Bristol
Durham
Manchester
Original post by daalchaval
KCL 100% in the top 10. Ranked 16 in the world in the recent QS world rankings. No idea why the domestic rankings always puts it in the 20s range.

Domestic league is nonsense to be honest. It takes into account things like student satisfaction, feedback etc. The international rankings however are more of an indication of how good an institution is, it takes in t ö account things like noble price winners, world class research, studies. Places like kings, Edinburgh and manchester are ranked low under places like Lancaster, Kent etc. Those are decent uni's but it shows you how unrealistic the tables are. When those 3 uni's are in the top 30 best unis
Reply 44
I am studying history at the university of Sheffield, it's great and has been ranked 1st for student satisfaction for a few years now? I would look at subject, course content, location and overall the student satisfaction. ☺️
Original post by Morrisseya
Obviously it varies by subject. But, in your opinion, what are the top 10 universities in the UK, overall? (Re: prestige/job prospects/everything).

In terms of prestige globally which is what counts the most then the UK really only has Oxbridge and LSE. Imperial and UCL some might argue too, but their reps have been incredibly over inflated. King's is viewed highly, Edinburgh has a historically good rep because of its role in the age of enlightenment and the fact many US colleges were founded by Edinburgh grads. Glasgow has produced a fair few PMs so I rate them highly.

My top 10:

1) Cambridge
2) Oxford
3) LSE
4)Imperial
5) UCL
6) King's College London
7) Edinburgh
8)Bristol
9) Glasgow
10) Nottingham/Warwick
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 47
1. Wolverhampton
2. Wolverhampton
3. Wolverhampton
4. Wolverhampton
5. Wolverhampton
6. Wolverhampton
7. Wolverhampton
8. Wolverhampton
9. Wolverhampton
10. Wolverhampton

Wolverhampton also deserves a special mention for narrowly missing the top ten.
I actually can't decide!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends... Personal preference or just understanding

Cambridge
Oxford
Bristol
Imperial (meh, I'd hate it but)
Durham
Bath
St Andrews
Warwick
UCL
York

That's for Chemistry ish.

Maths would be similar I think, as would compsci.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Depends... Personal preference or just understanding

Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial (meh, I'd hate it but)
Bristol
Durham
Bath
St Andrews
Warwick
UCL
York

That's for Chemistry ish.

Maths would be similar I think, as would compsci.

Why would you hate Imperial?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
Why would you hate Imperial?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just... The place, the way it is, the people
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Just... The place, the way it is, the people

Hmm. I've actually heard this opinion before so I see what you mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My personal top ten would be:
1. Oxford
2. Cambridge
3. Imperial
4. LSE
5. Durham
6. St. Andrews
7. Warwick
8. UCL
9. Kings
10. Bristol
Oxford = Cambridge
LSE
Imperial
UCL
Durham
St. Andrews
Edinburgh
Bristol
Warwick
Original post by Birkenhead
By what measure are Birmingham, Nottingham and Bath superior to Edinburgh, Bristol and St Andrews? These rankings are such utter childish nonsense. Universities can only really be said to exist in groupings.

I'd say that they are all good reason I didn't choose any Scottish universities is that they are easier to get into, and I would probably swap Bristol with bath on consideration actually
I presume it would be better to hold them in "batches", as ones outcompete others frequently making it a draw.
Batch 1
Oxbridge
Batch 2
Durham. LSE. Imperial
Batch 3
St. Andrews. UCL. KCL.
Batch 4
Warwick. Bristol.
Batch 5
Exeter. Lancaster. Edinburgh.
Batch 6
Manchester. Birmingham. Rest of Russell group.

I have not seen them all, so my opinion is pretty flawed.
Original post by Birkenhead
Anyone who places any value in the overall league table rankings of universities should re-assess their suitability to be in higher education at all.

Subject rankings are more worthwhile, but are still skewered by things irrelevant to an undergraduate experience like research rating and other factors like student satisfaction which are not objectively compared but subject entirely to the student's expectations prior to beginning the course (such that those at Heriot-Watt are more satisfied than those at Imperial College London). The way more valid factors like graduate prospects are measured is also irritating, since they rarely take account of the type of work being done after the course, and we are consequently expected to believe that Oxford and Cambridge endow their graduates with significantly poorer graduate prospects than other universities.

Ultimately, they're a group of steaming turds that should not impact anyone's university choices.

Well I do apologise:s-smilie:
Original post by Dilzo999
Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
Imperial
UCL
Warwick
The rest I don't give a **** about choose your pick.

Warwick over Cambridge? Warwick is good but no way is it in the Top 5. More like 10-15. It's hardly known outside the UK.
Original post by SmaugTheTerrible
Warwick over Cambridge? Warwick is good but no way is it in the Top 5. More like 10-15. It's hardly known outside the UK.

Me thinks you're reading it upside down...

Latest

Trending

Trending