The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Current LSE student, ask me anything

As the title states, I'm a current LSE student. The process can be quite long and I found when applying last year that there are numerous questions I needed the answer to which I couldn't find answers for. I have been at LSE for 2 months so far and I'm loving my experience. I hope to answer any queries you people may have... fire away

Scroll to see replies

Wow I'm extremely lucky to have found this post. I'm looking at universities outside of the US, and LSE has caught my eye. Is the workload bearable? That's probably my main concern. I think my stats are good enough to have a fair shot of getting in, but I'm not willing to spend every waking moment with my eyes glued to a textbook.

Thank youxx
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Hey,

I am thinking of applying to LSE for BSc Management and Law. I was attending Imperial College London last year for EEE and I didn't find the course interesting and hence wasn't able to perform well. So currently I am on a gap year. I have a few questions:
1. What are my chances?
2. Is it a good idea to apply to two courses at the same time?
3. Do I need to provide a reference letter? If I do I can get a reference letter from the director of undergraduate studies of EEE at Imperial.

I am an international student.
My IGCSEs were: 4A*s 2As and 3Bs (with A*s in maths, physics, chem, bio. A in urdu and religious studies. B in ICT, english and human bio)

My GCE A'levels grades were: A* in maths and A in physics and chemistry

Please let me know. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by disenthrall
Wow I'm extremely lucky to have found this post. I'm looking at universities outside of the US, and LSE has caught my eye. Is the workload bearable? That's probably my main concern. I think my stats are good enough to have a fair shot of getting in, but I'm not willing to spend every waking moment with my eyes glued to a textbook.

Thank youxx

Well the workload is quite large but if you are good with time management it should be bearable. There is a lot of work to do but I find time for myself to go out with my friends. I think with every good university (top 10 in the UK) the workload is high but still bearable.
I hope that answers your query!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by lub1960
Hey,

I am thinking of applying to LSE for BSc Management and Law. I was attending Imperial College London last year for EEE and I didn't find the course interesting and hence wasn't able to perform well. So currently I am on a gap year. I have a few questions:
1. What are my chances?
2. Is it a good idea to apply to two courses at the same time?
3. Do I need to provide a reference letter? If I do I can get a reference letter from the director of undergraduate studies of EEE at Imperial.

I am an international student.
My IGCSEs were: 4A*s 2As and 3Bs (with A*s in maths, physics, chem, bio. A in urdu and religious studies. B in ICT, english and human bio)

My GCE A'levels grades were: A* in maths and A in physics and chemistry

Please let me know. Thanks! :smile:

hi,
1) Your chances are good. You fit the criteria and your GCE grades are particularly good. Also the subjects are strong. I would definitely recommend that you apply.
2) No, there is a general rule which states that LSE prefers you to only apply for one course because only one offer is given to students and thus you'll definitely be rejected for one choice.
3)I'm not sure about this last question. I think you should email admissions at LSE and they should respond within two working days.
Hope that helps!
I was planning on applying to both BSc Economics and BSc Government and Economics next year because they both look great and Government and Econ requires AAA rather than A*AA and I don't want to risk just applying for Economics in case I get rejected. Are you saying I should just choose one to apply to?
Reply 6
Hi. I have heard LSE are quite strict with GCSE grades and apparently require you to achieve 8A*s+ if you want to go into BSc Economics. Is there any truth behind this? Also, what do LSE look in a potential candidate? Like extra curricular activities, work experience etc.?
What's the scope for transferring courses in your 1st year? I applied for Economics and Economic History with 10A* and 4A* predictions in Maths F Maths Chemistry History. I assumed I wouldn't get into straight econ due to not having done econ. If I got my offer for E+EH and got 4A* could I definitely transfer to straight economics in my first year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by anonwinner
I was planning on applying to both BSc Economics and BSc Government and Economics next year because they both look great and Government and Econ requires AAA rather than A*AA and I don't want to risk just applying for Economics in case I get rejected. Are you saying I should just choose one to apply to?

This is a personal choice. I think you should look at it like this. If you don't mind getting a rejection of at least one, then apply for both because you'll increase the likeliness of getting at least one if you are applying for two. But if you don't want a rejection of one, then apply only once.
What's the social life like? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by sarkar97
Hi. I have heard LSE are quite strict with GCSE grades and apparently require you to achieve 8A*s+ if you want to go into BSc Economics. Is there any truth behind this? Also, what do LSE look in a potential candidate? Like extra curricular activities, work experience etc.?

I think this question is quite broad. With any university if candidate A has more A*s at GCSE then they are more likely to be accepted than candidate B and therefore many LSE students have many A*s at GCSE. However this is not to say that this is the only pre requisite as many students here also don't have as many as that. Having other things can make up for a poorer GCSE performance. I would recommend having at least 5 A*s at GCSE.
Extra currciulars are also good to have on your personal statement such as Duke of Edinburgh and different clubs/programmes you may be in. However I think passion for your subject choice is more important.
Reply 11
Original post by Morrisseya
What's the social scene like? :smile:

I really like this question haha and this is a key reason to why I made this post. Before applying to LSE I was a bit depressed because forums like TSR have a lot of negative comments aimed at LSE but then I actually got here and realised the truth.
The social scene is completely what you make of it and for me its really good. I have made a lot of friends from my halls (bankside) and we go out quite a bit. Being in London there are so many clubs and so many student nights so clubs are cheaper.
Being my biggest worry before attending LSE, the social scene has been amazing.
Original post by Aj_16
I really like this question haha and this is a key reason to why I made this post. Before applying to LSE I was a bit depressed because forums like TSR have a lot of negative comments aimed at LSE but then I actually got here and realised the truth.
The social scene is completely what you make of it and for me its really good. I have made a lot of friends from my halls (bankside) and we go out quite a bit. Being in London there are so many clubs and so many student nights so clubs are cheaper.
Being my biggest worry before attending LSE, the social scene has been amazing.

Thank you :smile: Are any halls better/worse re: social life, do you reckon?

Also, do you move out of halls after 1st year?
Reply 13
Original post by Gcseboy1997
What's the scope for transferring courses in your 1st year? I applied for Economics and Economic History with 10A* and 4A* predictions in Maths F Maths Chemistry History. I assumed I wouldn't get into straight econ due to not having done econ. If I got my offer for E+EH and got 4A* could I definitely transfer to straight economics in my first year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, you can only transfer courses in the second year and there is a high grade requirement for this. You need two first classes and two 2:1s.
Thanks for the advice. If you don't mind me asking, what were your GCSEs and A level grades and what course are you currently studying?
Reply 15
Original post by Morrisseya
Thank you :smile: Are any halls better/worse re: social life, do you reckon?

Also, do you move out of halls after 1st year?

that's okay :smile:. Any LSE hall is good i.e. (Bankside, Roseberry, Carr Saunders and Passfield). However I would recommend against any intercollegiate halls personally as the social life at LSE halls are better.

Yes the majority of students move out of halls however there is a possibility of staying on if you take up a role in your halls i.e. events officer.
Original post by Aj_16
that's okay :smile:. Any LSE hall is good i.e. (Bankside, Roseberry, Carr Saunders and Passfield). However I would recommend against any intercollegiate halls personally as the social life at LSE halls are better.

Yes the majority of students move out of halls however there is a possibility of staying on if you take up a role in your halls i.e. events officer.

OK thanks :smile:

Where do most people move to in London? (I'm guessing they tend to rent houses?)
Reply 17
Original post by sarkar97
Thanks for the advice. If you don't mind me asking, what were your GCSEs and A level grades and what course are you currently studying?

Sure, I'm studying Economics and Economic History. My GCSE's were 10A*s and 3As and my A levels were 4 A's and one AS A.
Original post by Aj_16
Sure, I'm studying Economics and Economic History. My GCSE's were 10A*s and 3As and my A levels were 4 A's and one AS A.

I am currently looking to choose my A-Levels. Is this an acceptable mix for geography with econ/straight econ:

-maths
-geography
-economics
-spanish
-AS FM?
Original post by Aj_16
No, you can only transfer courses in the second year and there is a high grade requirement for this. You need two first classes and two 2:1s.

But is 'that it'? As in I achieve these marks and I get to transfer into the second year? Is there no possibility of transferring in the first 2 weeks or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending