The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is Paying For Sex Immoral,Are Men That Do It Losers?

What is your stance on this?
Is it immoral to pay for sex?
ladies get involved in this debate as well
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm not going to speak of morality because it's going to differ for all people.

What I will say is that I don't think those who do it are losers. I'd say it's merely a more efficient way of getting what you want. You can either pay for sex or spend weeks buying drinks for women in the hope of getting lucky. I'd always choose the former if all I wanted was sex.
Not immoral so long as:
- The man (or woman) isn't cheating on someone
- Both parties consent and no one is being coerced or forced into prostitution
- Good measures are taken in safe sex to prevent the spread of STDs
Reply 3
no and no

/thread
Reply 4
I wouldn't call it immoral...both sides are consenting adults so there's really no issue. I wouldn't say that ALL guys who pay for sex are losers; as a previous poster stated, if all you want is sex (and are also perfectly capable of courting a woman to get it) then why not just pay for a one time thing instead of going through the long process of dating?
It's immoral when the women are coerced into / trapped in it but if it was legalised and well regulated that need never be the case.
No and no

Original post by matthewduncan
Never seen the hype of giving your hard earned money to something that has been ran through so many times and possibly has a disease but thats just me.

Wait until you start earning a hell of a lot of money before you make up your mind.

The most unlikely people in the world do it. It's surprising who does it and for what reason. Some people just want to try out their fantasies. Other people might not be getting any from their SOs and if they don't want to leave their SO then it's just easier to have sex with a professional who won't think twice about the sex and won't get attached to the client because "what happens in the hour stays in the hour". Once your hour's up, the provider goes back to his/her life, as does the client. One of the most common client types is the really successful business guy/city worker who doesn't have time for a relationship. They don't have the time to deal with someone who might require a lot of time so it's just easier for them to hire a girl whenever they need for however long they need.

If you go to high end girls (or guys) then you're unlikely to get an STD. Some providers and clients keep proof òf when they were last tested. They do have personal lives too. It's only the low end type or the Pretty Woman street walker type who is more likely to have a disease.
(edited 9 years ago)
don't care about morality but it's just pathetic really
I don't believe it is immoral, but I do believe that the men who do it are pathetic and low.
paying for sex... well you could say that supporting a "partner" financially is paying for sex. see what happens if you don't fork out for a week...
No and no, this is the 21st century.
Not really.

And no. People assume that people get hookers because they can't hookup. But it might just because they want someone who's good at sex. And if they can afford to pay for an expert, then it's just another service. So be it.
(edited 9 years ago)
No, it's just a bit sad. :dontknow:
It's something that's still not considered socially acceptable (though i don't think that should stop people) but i don't think its immoral and i don't really have an opinion on the men that do it.
No reason why its immoral, unless you have some hang up on sex.

People pay for sex all the time. You'll rarely see a rich guy without a hot girl, they are just paying for it in cars, clothes and general lifestyle. Happens in work places with promotions, bars with free drinks, those are just hoping they can exchange financial favours for sex.

I've never understood the idea of it being sad either, not when you consider the usual efforts men will go to in clubs and bars. Spending your time off work and weeks pay trawling round bars and clubs, hoping to find some randomer (statistically speaking probably an average looking fat girl) who is sufficiently intoxicated they are willing to accept a few mins of drunken sex. Half these guys after hours of pleading for a girl's approval, strike out, grab a kebab and have a **** before bed.
Original post by Fizzel
No reason why its immoral, unless you have some hang up on sex.

People pay for sex all the time. You'll rarely see a rich guy without a hot girl, they are just paying for it in cars, clothes and general lifestyle. Happens in work places with promotions, bars with free drinks, those are just hoping they can exchange financial favours for sex.

I've never understood the idea of it being sad either, not when you consider the usual efforts men will go to in clubs and bars. Spending your time off work and weeks pay trawling round bars and clubs, hoping to find some randomer (statistically speaking probably an average looking fat girl) who is sufficiently intoxicated they are willing to accept a few mins of drunken sex. Half these guys after hours of pleading for a girl's approval, strike out, grab a kebab and have a **** before bed.

I disagree, there are loads of pathetic rich guys who (and I don't mean this in a disrespectful way) are with girls who are not that good looking.

At the same time, I believe that guys who indirectly pay for sex, through paying for meals, paying for drinks etc, are pathetic too. If you want to go somewhere and you want to take the girl with you, that's fine and you could have a really great time, but deep down you know that even guys with girlfriends are still paying for it because they lack any intrinsic appeal.
Original post by yo radical one
I disagree, there are loads of pathetic rich guys who (and I don't mean this in a disrespectful way) are with girls who are not that good looking.
I'm sure there are loads, but I just there are loads more who don't. They aren't all going to be shallow enough they have to date some hot girl, perhaps they just date someone they like, but a think more often than not they will have a girl more attractive and younger than themselves.

At the same time, I believe that guys who indirectly pay for sex, through paying for meals, paying for drinks etc, are pathetic too. If you want to go somewhere and you want to take the girl with you, that's fine and you could have a really great time, but deep down you know that even guys with girlfriends are still paying for it because they lack any intrinsic appeal.
You assume they particularly care, often she isn't there for any meaningful appeal either. She's making up her lack of interest financially, he's making up the lack of true connection with the fact she looks like a model. Its generally not a recipe for a long term arrangement either.
Reply 17
What's immoral is the women that are selling themselves
Reply 18
People that pay for sex generally do so as a resort measure because they can't get it for free. In this sense they have failed at getting something important to them in a socially acceptable way, thus it seems a sound argument that they are 'failures' in this sense.

We can go further if we say that of these people, there will be some who can cope with their involuntary abstinence and others who can't - the latter set being the weakest, going outside of the law to satisfy the desires they don't have the strength to suppress.

There is therefore a gradient between those who succeed, those who take failure on the chin, and those who would break society's laws as a result of their weakness.
Original post by Sulpha
Paying for sex isn't illegal in the UK so I don't know why you're bringing the law into it.

And your first statement is partially correct, a large amount of people do visit prostitutes through difficulty obtaining it the traditional way but just as many people from the average Joe to powerful businessmen visit as well, even when they know they could go out and get it if they wanted to. Paying for sex with someone who knows what they're doing, is attractive to you and will leave afterwards is merely just convenience. It's the convenience that appeals to most of these people.

One form is. Curb crawling

Latest

Trending

Trending