The Student Room Group

St George's Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know how true it is that SGUL will withhold decisions until they get all the work experience references?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1101
It's the apparent inconsistency that drives me nuts. How nice it would be if they (I mean by that all the schools)went through all the applications and sent out all the interview invitations at once. Then there would be none of this nail biting. It's brutal.
Original post by Troyca
It's the apparent inconsistency that drives me nuts. How nice it would be if they (I mean by that all the schools)went through all the applications and sent out all the interview invitations at once. Then there would be none of this nail biting. It's brutal.

that wouldn't work though because they don't know how good the applicants are going to be when interviewed so they can't set a number and if they did they may not have enough students to fill the places - also they have to consider that after giving out the offer not everyone is going to firm it

which is why they do the top applicants that meet the cut-off and if they don't have enough offers given out they go to the waiting list etc
I have hit a problem!
I don't actually have five instances of work experience?

I mean, I kind of do, but one of them is online volunteering that I can't exactly get a reference for. And the other is a sort of pre-reference - my hospital work starts at the end of December now, as the nurse I was going to be shadowing was diagnosed with breast cancer and thus took a big chunk of time off work. I don't have much experience because I only decided to do medicine pretty last minute, I always thought only geniuses went into medicine and never thought it was an option for me!

Should I just leave one blank?
Original post by EmilyKvothe
I have hit a problem!

I mean, I kind of do, but one of them is online volunteering that I can't exactly get a reference for. And the other is a sort of pre-reference - my hospital work starts at the end of December now, as the nurse I was going to be shadowing was diagnosed with breast cancer and thus took a big chunk of time off work. I don't have much experience because I only decided to do medicine pretty last minute, I always thought only geniuses went into medicine and never thought it was an option for me!

Yeah I'm pretty sure it says "up to 5 placements" so you don't have to have 5 :smile:
I have hit a problem!

I don't think you have to fill out all 5 - I personally am in the same boat as you and chose medicine pretty last minute so I think i'll fill in like 3/4
Original post by skittlesaremydrugs
Does anyone know how true it is that SGUL will withhold decisions until they get all the work experience references?

^^^

When I called them up she said that you need to take them for interview as they form part of the assessment at one of the stations. But someone said on this thread that last year they allowed you to hand them in later on if u got an offer so I'm guessing it'll be the same! But try your best to get hold of them before your interview just in case

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by beansontoast92
When I called them up she said that you need to take them for interview as they form part of the assessment at one of the stations. But someone said on this thread that last year they allowed you to hand them in later on if u got an offer so I'm guessing it'll be the same! But try your best to get hold of them before your interview just in case

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am trying but my interview is on Thursday and it's like pulling teeth :frown: is it alright to put down work experience that you have organised to do? I'm getting a letter from the GP to state the dates and what I will be doing ie shadowing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am trying but my interview is on Thursday and it's like pulling teeth :frown: is it alright to put down work experience that you have organised to do? I'm getting a letter from the GP to state the dates and what I will be doing ie shadowing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I always thought that they want the letters from the experiences that you've had, but I could be wrong. I'd call SGUL up if I were u and confirm about both of your qs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by momoshakeel
Could I also get a pm !! Thank you

Same here please!!! TY x
Any got an interview recently ie today or Friday?
Original post by lazymedic
MMI's are bliss :smile: Because you can mess up in one station but still pull it back in the others, plus most of interviewers know nothing about your grades or PS so that allows everyone to be judged fairly.

These competences?

Academic ability and intellect
Empathy
Initiative and resilience
Communication skills
Organisation and problem solving
Team work
Insight and integrity
Effective learning style

Hmmmm they assessed most of them informally, in the sense that they didn't have a specific station for most of them. For example communication skills is tested in every single station but on the other hand Empathy does have it's own station (Role play).

I just wrote this long email about the interview and prep, I'll PM you that and anyone else who wants it.

:smile:

Hey,

Could I pretty please get a PM of that too? (Bet you wish you never offered now...)
I have hit a problem!

For the online volunteering, try to get some form of evidence of what you did, it sounds interesting :smile: But it's fine if you don't
I didn't have 5 either, I just put 4 down and it was fine :smile:

Also for the hospital work exp pre-reference, check with Micki, to be honest I think she should let you have that .

Don't worry about the lack of exp, my friend didn't have hospital work exp and most of her's were not even relevant to medicine. It's more about what you learn from them. How long do you have until your interview? if it's a while then you could try to get some exp.

Also, I'm living proof that it's not only geniuses who do Medicine :P

Well I'm not sure if the systems changed this year, but they usually give the offer anyway but it's not official until you give in all your references and forms :smile:
Original post by beansontoast92

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah they do let you hand them in afterwards, what they really want is that work exp form filled out with the contact details and some points of what you did, so they can give it to the interviewer at the work exp station. But the actual references can be handed in later :smile:
Original post by picnmix
Hey,

Could I pretty please get a PM of that too? (Bet you wish you never offered now...)

Noooo, literally all I do is copy and paste the notes (takes like 5 seconds :colondollar:) I had already written them out for one person and thought they might be useful (probably not but eh :P) for others.
Noooo, literally all I do is copy and paste the notes (takes like 5 seconds :colondollar:) I had already written them out for one person and thought they might be useful (probably not but eh :P) for others.

Ahhh I restrained myself from asking but in that case pleaseee can I get a copy too! Thanks :smile:
For the online volunteering, try to get some form of evidence of what you did, it sounds interesting :smile: But it's fine if you don't
I didn't have 5 either, I just put 4 down and it was fine :smile:

Also for the hospital work exp pre-reference, check with Micki, to be honest I think she should let you have that .

Don't worry about the lack of exp, my friend didn't have hospital work exp and most of her's were not even relevant to medicine. It's more about what you learn from them. How long do you have until your interview? if it's a while then you could try to get some exp.

Also, I'm living proof that it's not only geniuses who do Medicine :P

9th December, so not long at all! I've checked a few things with her already so I feel a little awkward doing it again haha, but I'll do it anyway! That's good, I really do feel like I learnt a lot from my hospice work experience and have a lot to talk about there, so I guess it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Good to know! Genuinely makes me feel a bit better :P

Oh, another thing I was going to ask what you all thought about. When I went to the open day, I spent ages chatting to this third year who was lovely (Super helpful, would definitely recommend!). But one of the things he said was something I'd like to bring up if asked about why I want to study at SGUL - he said that among the London med schools, SGUL is sometimes considered the 'soft touch' - very focused on communication and less on academic prestige. And for me, that's a massive pro, because that's exactly what I'd want out of a doctor and medical training. But would that be okay to bring up in interview, or would it sound a bit like talking down on the school's academic status?

Please may I have a copy (sorry) :O

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending