The Student Room Group

Evolutionary psychology?

Does a background in biological anthropology help in the study of evolutionary psychology? What kind of questions does evo psych ask? Is evo psych a way into human behavioral research?
Reply 1
Original post by Bongo Bongo
Does a background in biological anthropology help in the study of evolutionary psychology? What kind of questions does evo psych ask? Is evo psych a way into human behavioral research?

It does help to have a broader knowledge but it's not neccessary

Bio anth would give you a better background in evolutionary theory and human evolution, but not as good background in cognitive psychology or social psychology which evo psych tends to deal with too (although you can easily pick up what you need- its not that hard). Its definately enough to go on to do evo psych at post grad level. Depends what you mean by human behavioural research, but yeah doing evolutionary psychology entails studying humans, and draws alot from psychology.

What it evo psych doesn't encompass is much animal research, whether its behavioural ecology (questions about why animal behaviour evolved) or animal cognition (mechanisms behind animal behaviour).
Original post by iammichealjackson
Bio anth would give you a better background in evolutionary theory and human evolution, but not as good background in cognitive psychology or social psychology which evo psych tends to deal with too (although you can easily pick up what you need- its not that hard). Its definately enough to go on to do evo psych at post grad level. Depends what you mean by human behavioural research, but yeah doing evolutionary psychology entails studying humans, and draws alot from psychology.

What it evo psych doesn't encompass is much animal research, whether its behavioural ecology (questions about why animal behaviour evolved) or animal cognition (mechanisms behind animal behaviour).

Thanks, Yh I've applied to do a masters in evo psych and my underad degree is in anthro. Do you think these areas compliment each other? Also would this allow me to do a phd in either field?
Thanks, Yh I've applied to do a masters in evo psych and my underad degree is in anthro. Do you think these areas compliment each other? Also would this allow me to do a phd in either field?

Yes & Yes. If you can, do as many psychology / cognitive psychology papers that you can. Where did you apply? I don't know many places that do evo psych, newcastle have a course, they have two evo psychologists there, i don't know if there is a place which is the "centre" for the field.... St andrews have one in comparative psychology but its called evolutionary psychology for some reason. I would say bio anth is one of the best backgrounds you can have for evo psych!
Its at Brunel and seems really interesting and relevant to what I've already studied. Thats good news that the two fields are so related! I am reading human instinct by WInston that I've had lying around and I didn't even realise before thats its actually evolutionary psychology lol. Just hoping I get in now though. Yh like you said there arn't many evo psych masters around.
Its at Brunel and seems really interesting and relevant to what I've already studied. Thats good news that the two fields are so related! I am reading human instinct by WInston that I've had lying around and I didn't even realise before thats its actually evolutionary psychology lol. Just hoping I get in now though. Yh like you said there arn't many evo psych masters around.

oh yes ive read that too. Its good, but Robert Winston isn't really an expert on the subject by any means... Oh i had a look at that course and it looks very good.

I'd really recommend "An Introduction to behavioural ecology" by Davies and Krebs. It doesn't focus on humans, but it has all the evolutionary theory you need for behaviour for studying any species. I think the standard evolutionary psychology textbook is by David Buss, its fairly readable, i don't like it very much (i don't think its very critical!).
Original post by iammichealjackson
oh yes ive read that too. Its good, but Robert Winston isn't really an expert on the subject by any means... Oh i had a look at that course and it looks very good.

I'd really recommend "An Introduction to behavioural ecology" by Davies and Krebs. It doesn't focus on humans, but it has all the evolutionary theory you need for behaviour for studying any species. I think the standard evolutionary psychology textbook is by David Buss, its fairly readable, i don't like it very much (i don't think its very critical!).

Thanks I'll check out those books. In my undergad I had a lot of readings by robin Dunbar. His work seems really interesting. I've just picked up a book called introduction to evolutionary psychology by Dunbar.

Quick Reply

Latest