The Student Room Group

What is English Literature like at a level?

I am considering doing English Literature at a level as I enjoy reading a large range of books and writing essays/ analysis on them. I am wondering how similar it is to GCSE in workload and content. Also would you recommend it for someone wanting to go into medicine?? :smile:
Original post by alisonstar22554
I am considering doing English Literature at a level as I enjoy reading a large range of books and writing essays/ analysis on them. I am wondering how similar it is to GCSE in workload and content. Also would you recommend it for someone wanting to go into medicine?? :smile:

its slot heavier in terms of work load
Reply 2
If I'm not wrong there will be a change in the syllabus if you're hoping to start it in 2015 so I can't say much about what it'll be like then.

But if it's of any relevance, the current AQA syllabus is quite difficult and majority of my class (and many others nationwide judging by how many on TSR were still unsure of the exam a week before the paper) struggles with it because it's quite a jump from GCSE English lit. We covered aspects of narrative and how the writer tells the story in AS and we have a choice between the gothic and pastoral in A2, and trust me when I say it's quite difficult because even though it's interesting I don't think it's an easy spec to teach.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest