The Student Room Group

Should white people pay black people money for unpaid work from slavery?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RobertWhite
No, I had nothing to do with it and neither did the people complaining, so why should I pay compensation based on the colour of my skin? Isn't that just as racist as the slave trade?

And if we did this, why shouldn't we compensate everyone who's been wronged in the past? How about all the homosexuals get a payout from the Catholics, the Jews from the Germans etc...?

It would be hard to justify compensating people who were not victims of the activity and victimise those who were not either. If anyone was going to pay something out it would be the respective governments who legalised the activity, not random white people.

This is the best post here and it has received little recognition by anyone!

I find it hard not to agree with this, and personally I believe we should be grateful that slavery isn't accepted now as it was. However it's still going on, and rather than compensating the ancestors of victims, why not use that money to stop slavery and human trafficking.

Also it seems to come across that there is no money going into the poorer countries that have suffered from the slave trade, however there are charities as well as government aid funds or whatever they are called which help develop education systems and healthcare systems.
Original post by JoshDawg

I find it hard not to agree with this, and personally I believe we should be grateful that slavery isn't accepted now as it was. However it's still going on, and rather than compensating the ancestors of victims, why not use that money to stop slavery and human trafficking.

Also it seems to come across that there is no money going into the poorer countries that have suffered from the slave trade, however there are charities as well as government aid funds or whatever they are called which help develop education systems and healthcare systems.

You raise some good points. There are still many problems surrounding slavery, so instead of people selfishly claiming their right to compensation based on their skin colour, we should be focusing on people who are actually still affected by it. People are very unaware how prevalent slavery still is today, even in the UK.
Reply 62

not really I think blacks still are affected by it.. think about it Africa was turned upside down due to slavery it was fine before it was invaded. Whites still throw slavery in black peoples faces... PAY UP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by MrMango
not really I think blacks still are affected by it.. think about it Africa was turned upside down due to slavery it was fine before it was invaded. Whites still throw slavery in black peoples faces... PAY UP

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe whites have already settled up following an email exchange with a guy from Nigeria representing the decendants of all black slaves.

Yes, and not only that, but a lot of that charity money ends up in the back pockets of General UmbaWumba who oppresses the native people more than any whites did.
Reply 65
Original post by perfectsymbology
Yes, and not only that, but a lot of that charity money ends up in the back pockets of General UmbaWumba who oppresses the native people more than any whites did.

Do you honestly believe what you're saying? typical.. trying to pass the bucket, its a known fact these charities only use 10% of every £ donated. 90p goes towards "admin fees".

Posted from TSR Mobile
Na. You can't quantify who would get it.

Also considering there were mixed raced slaves who could have integrated with white people and had kids would they get reparation money too? What about the black people who were never victims of colonization and had prominent roles in society.

Best thing is to allow more black people and other victims of colonization to integrate into the society and find ways to promote them to the higher echelons of the social hierarchy.
Original post by perfectsymbology

Yeah that's true child soldier raisers and that jazz.

It's going to go to corrupt politicians so even if you could get a quantifiable figure to pay how are you going to ensure that each person who deserves a reparation gets the money?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MrMango
Do you honestly believe what you're saying? typical.. trying to pass the bucket, its a known fact these charities only use 10% of every £ donated. 90p goes towards "admin fees".

Posted from TSR Mobile

This, I realise. How do you think Bob Geldof ended up being worth over £40 Million?
Reply 68
Original post by Seems Legit
Yet you're using a Japanese username. Typical Otaku. (Wannabe Japanese)

being unable to tell that i was going along with the joke

using Otaku incorrectly - the correct term would be weeaboo - Otaku relates to an obsession, usually anime or manga

using a meme as a username. Typical 420 meme exp3rt. (Trying too hard)

nice going champ, you did great :parrot:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kaiju
being unable to tell that i was going along with the joke

using Otaku incorrectly - the correct term would be weeaboo - Otaku relates to an obsession, usually anime or manga

using a meme as a username. Typical 420 meme exp3rt. (Trying too hard)

nice going champ, you did great :parrot:

Whoa it's a non-Japanese telling me that i'm using a Japanese term incorrectly. Funny.
Otaku relates to a person with obsessive interests in Japanese culture, including anime and manga which are -surprise- a part of Japanese culture.
"Otaku" is a Japanese word, it's a slang used in Japan to refer to such people. 'Weeabo' is an English slang that's only used by non-Japanese.
Thanks for the lecture though, 'Kaiju'.
Original post by zimbo97
Actually quite a few Caribbean's and African Americans say they want reparations for the millions of unpaid hours. It's quite a big issue in race relations in the US.

The logic is that a century of slavery has disadvantaged black people to the extent that it accounts for the disparity between whites and blacks on every single available indicator of well being today. To address this imbalance some claim a lump sum should be paid to black Americans, who are nearly all descendants of slaves.

While I'm certainly no advocate of slavery, do the people who propose this idea realise that without slavery, most of them wouldn't even be living in the US right now? No food on a whim, no clean water, no free healthcare (lol America), no electricity? Slavery certainly didn't benefit those at the time, but it's certainly benefited their descendants who are no longer living day-to-day in Africa (assuming that in an alternative timeline minus slavery they'd be poor by African standards).

To me, it just seems like they want what everybody else wants: money. They're using an atrocious period in history as a scapegoat to get money out of the government.
They're not going to be in any better position having a few bob winged their way. Money may buy a nice house, a car, and some food, but if the person receiving the money in question doesn't have a job then for how long are they going to be able to pay their bills, their petrol, and their food for?

Money won't sort out the disparity between the two races in question, to assume that it will is plain idiotic.
(edited 9 years ago)
No basis for such claims.
Reply 72
This idea is absolutely ridiculous
Reply 73
Original post by Seems Legit
Whoa it's a non-Japanese telling me that i'm using a Japanese term incorrectly. Funny.
Otaku relates to a person with obsessive interests in Japanese culture, including anime and manga which are -surprise- a part of Japanese culture.
"Otaku" is a Japanese word, it's a slang used in Japan to refer to such people. 'Weeabo' is an English slang that's only used by non-Japanese.
Thanks for the lecture though, 'Kaiju'.

seems legit
Reply 74
Original post by Drunk Punx
While I'm certainly no advocate of slavery, do the people who propose this idea realise that without slavery, most of them wouldn't even be living in the US right now? No food on a whim, no clean water, no free healthcare (lol America), no electricity? Slavery certainly didn't benefit those at the time, but it's certainly benefited their descendants who are no longer living day-to-day in Africa (assuming that in an alternative timeline minus slavery they'd be poor by African standards).

To me, it just seems like they want what everybody else wants: money. They're using an atrocious period in history as a scapegoat to get money out of the government.
They're not going to be in any better position having a few bob winged their way. Money may buy a nice house, a car, and some food, but if the person receiving the money in question doesn't have a job then for how long are they going to be able to pay their bills, their petrol, and their food for?

Money won't sort out the disparity between the two races in question, to assume that it will is plain idiotic.

How? are you that stupid to realise Africa was fine before slavery? and you do realise Africa is a continent.. its got poor people and rich people, it would most likely be way better as a whole if whites didn't invade. Africa itself was one big country with no divides, guess who divded it? whites whites and more whites who has a patent on Eblo? whites, Africa was hiv free until... thats right whites got there. White people cause mayhem everywhere they go.

anyway..
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3hfCweU5LuigGuTjJeKlwtGrf9faZN3n8MSRXrIWdPYOnjuxcUadukdNd

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
How? are you that stupid to realise Africa was fine before slavery?

Define "fine". Somehow, I don't think white people ****ed up the plenty of food and lakes of clean water that Africa doesn't have.
("Plenty" meaning that there isn't exactly a Tesco every 5 miles).

and you do realise Africa is a continent.. its got poor people and rich people,

You're confusing me with someone who shares their shoe size with their IQ. Also, lern 2 read.
"assuming that in an alternative timeline minus slavery they'd be poor by African standards"

I've bolded the relative bits for you so you don't have to strain your brain to read it.

it would most likely be way better as a whole if whites didn't invade. Africa itself was one big country with no divides, guess who divded it? whites whites and more whites who has a patent on Eblo? whites, Africa was hiv free until... thats right whites got there. White people cause mayhem everywhere they go.

anyway..
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3hfCweU5LuigGuTjJeKlwtGrf9faZN3n8MSRXrIWdPYOnjuxcUadukdNd

None of which I denied. You've also made no attempt to actually answer anything I said.

By the way, this white vs black game you're playing is retarded. But as much as I'd hate to stoop to your level, I like games, so:
Who brought electricity to Africa? Whites.
Who is helping the affected parts of Western Africa to contain the Ebola outbreak by donating money to train nurses,and medical supplies? Whites.
Do you think Nairobi and the other developed parts of Africa would have the infrastructure it does without the help of white people? Highly unlikely.

This "white man is evil" diatribe really isn't becoming of someone who lives in the modern world. Yeah, I get it: white people have damaged Africa, and some parts will feels the effects of it 'til the end of time. But that doesn't actually offer a retort to any of the points I've made.

I've seen that picture before. Nice repost. It also doesn't tell me anything that I didn't already know. Did you expect me to say "Wow, I didn't realise that such a tiny portion of Africa was affected by the Ebola outbreak!"? Sorry to disappoint you.

If white people hadn't tried to colonise half the world during the Imperialist years, then the affected countries wouldn't be nearly as developed as they are today, and would likely be complaining that the descendants of those who didn't colonise half the world should share the wealth that they've created for themselves. Can't have it both ways, pal.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by Drunk Punx
Define "fine". Somehow, I don't think white people ****ed up the plenty of food and lakes of clean water that Africa doesn't have.
("Plenty" meaning that there isn't exactly a Tesco every 5 miles).

You're confusing me with someone who shares their shoe size with their IQ. Also, lern 2 read.
"assuming that in an alternative timeline minus slavery they'd be poor by African standards"

I've bolded the relative bits for you so you don't have to strain your brain to read it.

None of which I denied. You've also made no attempt to actually answer anything I said.

By the way, this white vs black game you're playing is retarded. But as much as I'd hate to stoop to your level, I like games, so:
Who brought electricity to Africa? Whites.
Who is helping the affected parts of Western Africa to contain the Ebola outbreak by donating money to train nurses,and medical supplies? Whites.
Do you think Nairobi and the other developed parts of Africa would have the infrastructure it does without the help of white people? Highly unlikely.

This "white man is evil" diatribe really isn't becoming of someone who lives in the modern world. Yeah, I get it: white people have damaged Africa, and some parts will feels the effects of it 'til the end of time. But that doesn't actually offer a retort to any of the points I've made.

I've seen that picture before. Nice repost. It also doesn't tell me anything that I didn't already know. Did you expect me to say "Wow, I didn't realise that such a tiny portion of Africa was affected by the Ebola outbreak!"? Sorry to disappoint you.

If white people hadn't tried to colonise half the world during the Imperialist years, then the affected countries wouldn't be nearly as developed as they are today, and would likely be complaining that the descendants of those who didn't colonise half the world should share the wealth that they've created for themselves. Can't have it both ways, pal.

You are missing the point.. tell me documents stating African slaves agreed to endure years of torment and slavey to in return receive electricity and help with a virus created in a labatory by white people? help my ass? stuff the electricity rather the diamonds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
You are missing the point.. tell me documents stating African slaves agreed to endure years of torment and slavey to in return receive electricity and help with a virus created in a labatory by white people? help my ass? stuff the electricity rather the diamonds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No-one was particularly happy with Roman occupations, but they benefited the places in the long run.

Source for this virus being created in a lab?
Original post by MrMango

Did native Africans have mining techniques prior to the arrival of the white man?
Were they actively using said techniques?
Do you have any archaeological with which to back up your answer?
How would they have gotten rid of the diamonds without attracting the attention of everyone else who inhabits the world?
Do you think before you type, or are you all emotion and no logic?

Your question makes no sense. I said that the slaves did not benefit, but that their descendants did. You even quoted the post in which I said that.
Original post by Skip_Snip

Source for this virus being created in a lab?

Would you be surprised if I said "conspiracy theory"? I love a good conspiracy as much as the next dude, but I wouldn't expect a serious source if I were you. Unfortunately, they see articles like this and assume that because diseases are being explored for their potential to be used as a bio-weapon, they must've been created in the same labs that are trying to weaponise it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending