The Student Room Group
University of Northampton
Northampton

I want to drop out of university and re apply next year. What do I do?

I'm currently in my first year of university studying psychology, i started in september 2014.
I have now realise that this isnt what to do and I want to apply to do Graphic Design at a different university in september 2015.

Would the best option be to drop out now and re apply through ucas now or should I finish my first year and apply through ucas as well as still being here (if thats allowed)?

the only things stopping me from dropping out now is that..
1- would it look bad? would the new uni that im applying to know that i've dropped out and would it affect my chance of receiving and offer?
2- i've never been successful in getting a job (i have been trying) as i have no experience at all. I could maybe try to get volunteering which may lead to a better chance at getting a job?

Also how would student finance work? What loans would I receive from them if I were to re apply and start a new course next year/would I get any money at all?

Basically what would be the best option for me to do in terms of ucas/student finance? Leave now or finish the year?
Original post by Summ
I'm currently in my first year of university studying psychology, i started in september 2014.
I have now realise that this isnt what to do and I want to apply to do Graphic Design at a different university in september 2015.

Would the best option be to drop out now and re apply through ucas now or should I finish my first year and apply through ucas as well as still being here (if thats allowed)?

the only things stopping me from dropping out now is that..
1- would it look bad? would the new uni that im applying to know that i've dropped out and would it affect my chance of receiving and offer?
2- i've never been successful in getting a job (i have been trying) as i have no experience at all. I could maybe try to get volunteering which may lead to a better chance at getting a job?

Also how would student finance work? What loans would I receive from them if I were to re apply and start a new course next year/would I get any money at all?

Basically what would be the best option for me to do in terms of ucas/student finance? Leave now or finish the year?

You're allowed one false start in terms of Student Finance, so you should still get your full finance for the course of your new degree. You can apply through UCAS whether you're still at university or not, it's basically a personal decision you have to make. No university should really hold it against you that you're dropping out of another university-they're aware that often people make the wrong decision at first (you have to make a decision on the course before you've even finished your A levels, so it makes sense that your mind may change). They'll probably like that you've obviously now thought seriously about what to do and taken the steps to change the path you were on.
Northampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending