The Student Room Group

The road to perfection for English?

Self-explanatory if, albeit, a bit vague.

What is the key to success in English? How do I get full marks in close readings and critical essays? Hoping for some advice or people talking from experience, thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Omar717
Self-explanatory if, albeit, a bit vague.

What is the key to success in English? How do I get full marks in close readings and critical essays? Hoping for some advice or people talking from experience, thanks.

Depends on the level you're looking to get full marks in. In regards to GCSE level, criticising your own analysis is one way to get you top marks.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
Depends on the level you're looking to get full marks in. In regards to GCSE level, criticising your own analysis is one way to get you top marks.

oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Well I'm currently studying higher if that helps, anyway I'll take onboard your advice.
Original post by Omar717
oh yeah, forgot to mention that. Well I'm currently studying higher if that helps, anyway I'll take onboard your advice.

My point is certainly relevant for Highers, good luck.
Reply 4

How do you criticise your own analysis?
Original post by Cherx
How do you criticise your own analysis?

By determining the extent to which your analysis is valid; you may mention factors that have affected your analysis, such as bias.
Reply 6
By determining the extent to which your analysis is valid; you may mention factors that have affected your analysis, such as bias.

How would you know if it's valid though :3
Original post by Cherx
How would you know if it's valid though :3

Definition of validity: the quality of being logically or factually sound. You would analyse the extent to which your analysis is logical or factually sound.
Reply 8
Definition of validity: the quality of being logically or factually sound. You would analyse the extent to which your analysis is logical or factually sound.

I see :smile:

Do you do English at A-levels?
Original post by Cherx
I see :smile:

Do you do English at A-levels?

I am currently a second year university student, but I achieved an A* at GCSE level.
Reply 10
I am currently a second year university student, but I achieved an A* at GCSE level.

Hmm... But I mean every analysis you make will always be valid right as long as you support it.
Original post by Cherx
Hmm... But I mean every analysis you make will always be valid right as long as you support it.

That may be the case, however, this is where criticising analysis helps you to reach perfection in regards to marks gained.
Reply 12
That may be the case, however, this is where criticising analysis helps you to reach perfection in regards to marks gained.

That makes sense, yes :lol:

Hmm could I do an question and could you be able to look over it/mark it it'll be to do with poems..?
Original post by Omar717
x

To get full marks in a critical essay, you have to give good arguments for pros and cons and you need a good style of writing. Be convincing in your argumentations and keep the line in your structure. Don't use too much word repetitions or repetitions in expressions. Those are my advices to you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Cherx
That makes sense, yes :lol:

Hmm could I do an question and could you be able to look over it/mark it it'll be to do with poems..?

Depends on the length, I wouldn't have time to mark it though.
Reply 15
Depends on the length, I wouldn't have time to mark it though.

It'll probably be quite short.. And erm I haven't done any yet but I'm planning on doing some questions for revision since my mocks are coming up this week.
Original post by Cherx
It'll probably be quite short.. And erm I haven't done any yet but I'm planning on doing some questions for revision since my mocks are coming up this week.

PM me when you get round to it, and good luck for the mocks.
Reply 17
Original post by Kallisto
To get full marks in a critical essay, you have to give good arguments for pros and cons and you need a good style of writing. Be convincing in your argumentations and keep the line in your structure. Don't use too much word repetitions or repetitions in expressions. Those are my advices to you.

Thanks, I'll make sure to keep that in mind. :smile:

Economics helps a ton in improving evaluation :smile:
Reply 19
PM me when you get round to it, and good luck for the mocks.

Thank you!

It's quite hard to revise English or get better with analysis and I'm dreadful under timed conditions :erm:

But I guess I'll get better with practise :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending