The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Current LSE student, ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Namige
Are you asian? Just like 99% of the students there?

No I'm not. And 99% of the students at LSE are not Asian. There is a mix of students from a variety of countries. These including England, Scotland, France, Germany, China, India, Pakistan, Finland, Sweden and South Africa. Students are from everywhere - not just Asia.
(edited 9 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
I've got an unconditional offer from LSE and I'm 99% sure I'm going to go next year. Last year I got in for Law and the main reason why I rejected it in favour of UCL was the social side (or therefore lack of) that I'd heard about. However I've got a few friends there that went this year and they are having the time of their lives so my fears have definitely been qualmed.
I'm really ambitious and I think, although socially I may be more at home at LSE that LSE will be a fantastic spring board for the future.
I have a question about the Student Union, does it have a big presence on campus or not?
Hello, I was wondering because I have seen many A level students get offers, does it take longer for IB students to get their offer from LSE?
I have an IB predic: 42
IGCSEs of: 6A* (English lang., Modern Greek, Chemistry, Physics, History, Music) 2A (Biology, PE), 2B (Math and English literature). Do you think they will butcher me for the B in maths, it was f#!k up in one of my papers which brought my whole grade down and my IB prediction is a 7. I have applied for the m100 law course.
+ ,after having been rejected by oxford, are there any competitions LSE attends to whoop Oxford's butt and get some revenge :smile:?
Thanks for answering all these questions for us bro <3
Reply 44
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
I've got an unconditional offer from LSE and I'm 99% sure I'm going to go next year. Last year I got in for Law and the main reason why I rejected it in favour of UCL was the social side (or therefore lack of) that I'd heard about. However I've got a few friends there that went this year and they are having the time of their lives so my fears have definitely been qualmed.
I'm really ambitious and I think, although socially I may be more at home at LSE that LSE will be a fantastic spring board for the future.
I have a question about the Student Union, does it have a big presence on campus or not?

Yes it does. They have had a whole new building made called the Swee Hock (google it if you don't know it, its really nice) and this is where most social events occur. Theres a club on the bottom floor where most LSE students go on a Friday night. Also there are many socities and many sports trams. The SU in summary has a very big presence. If you haven't seen it already type in LSE carol on youtube.
Hope that helps!
Reply 45
Original post by anonwinner
Thanks for answering all these questions for us bro <3

thank you for the appreciation
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Yianni Ch
Hello, I was wondering because I have seen many A level students get offers, does it take longer for IB students to get their offer from LSE?
I have an IB predic: 42
IGCSEs of: 6A* (English lang., Modern Greek, Chemistry, Physics, History, Music) 2A (Biology, PE), 2B (Math and English literature). Do you think they will butcher me for the B in maths, it was f#!k up in one of my papers which brought my whole grade down and my IB prediction is a 7. I have applied for the m100 law course.
+ ,after having been rejected by oxford, are there any competitions LSE attends to whoop Oxford's butt and get some revenge :smile:?

I don't think theres an order of whom they give offers to etc etc. I knows it hard but you have to be patient with LSE because there are so many applicants so the process takes quite a long time. This was the final offer I received and I waited ages so hopefully with patience itll be the same for you :smile:.
You have a strong application overall so a B in maths is not too brutal especially as youre applying to study law. Take my advice with a pinch of salt though as I don't work in the admissions office!
There are many competitions, societies and sport teams who compete against other unis!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by Aj_16
hi,
1) Your chances are good. You fit the criteria and your GCE grades are particularly good. Also the subjects are strong. I would definitely recommend that you apply.
2) No, there is a general rule which states that LSE prefers you to only apply for one course because only one offer is given to students and thus you'll definitely be rejected for one choice.
3)I'm not sure about this last question. I think you should email admissions at LSE and they should respond within two working days.
Hope that helps!

Thank you SO much! I am grateful! will the fact that I was unable to pass my first year at Imperial EEE have an effect on my chances of getting an offer?
What grades did you achieve at A-Level and GCSE in order to get into LSE and do economics and economic history, it looks unbelievably competitive.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degreeProgrammes2015/economics/L1V3_BSc_EcEcH.aspx

Says that for your course 67 applied and only 1 was admitted (2013 stats)!!
Reply 49
Original post by lub1960
Thank you SO much! I am grateful! will the fact that I was unable to pass my first year at Imperial EEE have an effect on my chances of getting an offer?

No I shouldn't think so. They don't take those kind of factors into account. They see you as an applicant and see what you have on your application, not what you don't have.
Reply 50
Original post by Aj_16
No I shouldn't think so. They don't take those kind of factors into account. They see you as an applicant and see what you have on your application, not what you don't have.

Alright, that was good encouragement! thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 51
Original post by Aj_16
Hmmm interesting question. I wouldn't say its incredibly competitive at all but I would say everyone is incredibly intelligent which should be expected. What this does is makes everyone else work harder to be on the same level. I don't feel like people are competing against one another though, I feel like everyone's just trying to get to each others standard. (I hope this makes sense!)
I like the fact that most students are doing similar courses because its easier to make friends. The stereotype that everyone at LSE are all economists and just talk about economics is nonsense. If you want to make friends with art students, anthropologists, linguists or engineers, UCL and Imperial are close by. People make friends with other students at other universities at clubs etc etc.

Oh cool, last question aha - Do you think LSE grads have a significant adv over say, Warwick grads for jobs in consultancy/finance?
Original post by Aj_16
Sure, I'm studying Economics and Economic History. My GCSE's were 10A*s and 3As and my A levels were 4 A's and one AS A.

What's studying Economics like at LSE? In terms of how engaging is the course, quality of lectures/seminars, amount of staff to student contact time, difficulty etc. Are you enjoying it? Is it what you expected it to be before you applied?

What sort of areas/topics are you covering (or have covered) in Economic History?
Reply 53
Original post by Djangoo
Oh cool, last question aha - Do you think LSE grads have a significant adv over say, Warwick grads for jobs in consultancy/finance?

Erm I wouldn't say so. I would say that LSE's international reputation is exceptional so it would have an advantage over UCL/Warwick international reputation in economics especially, however in terms of domestic reputation - these unis are all exceptional/on par to have on your resume.
(edited 9 years ago)
Just applied and received the 8 week email a week back. Just wanted to ask that do most people get this 8 week email? (an in the people who meet the basic requirements). Or only the realistic candidates? Also do LSE put a lot more weight on the PS compared to any other uni? Thankssss (so nervous!). Applied for the new Politics and IR course in the government section!
Reply 55
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
What's studying Economics like at LSE? In terms of how engaging is the course, quality of lectures/seminars, amount of staff to student contact time, difficulty etc. Are you enjoying it? Is it what you expected it to be before you applied?

What sort of areas/topics are you covering (or have covered) in Economic History?

Its really good. The maths content and stats content is the most significant so far and most difficult. Economics is pretty easy so far as its similar to A levels and Economic History is quite challenging. The topics so far have included globalisation, energy and growth of countries. Its so interesting but there's quite a bit of reading!
Its so much better than what I thought before, I'm really happy with my decision. It is difficult but then again this is LSE and I know I have to work hard. Theres contact time for every course which is good.
Original post by Aj_16
Its really good. The maths content and stats content is the most significant so far and most difficult. Economics is pretty easy so far as its similar to A levels and Economic History is quite challenging. The topics so far have included globalisation, energy and growth of countries. Its so interesting but there's quite a bit of reading!
Its so much better than what I thought before, I'm really happy with my decision. It is difficult but then again this is LSE and I know I have to work hard. Theres contact time for every course which is good.

Just applied and received the 8 week email a week back. Just wanted to ask that do most people get this 8 week email? (an in the people who meet the basic requirements). Or only the realistic candidates? Also do LSE put a lot more weight on the PS compared to any other uni? Thankssss (so nervous!). Applied for the new Politics and IR course in the government section!
Reply 57
Original post by daalchaval

Erm every stage of the process eliminates candidates and therefore its good to get to the next! I think the first stage eliminates candidates who don't have the correct credentials.
LSE do put a lot of weight on the personal statement because passion for your subject choice is important. That course looks very interesting so good luck!
Original post by Aj_16
Erm every stage of the process eliminates candidates and therefore its good to get to the next! I think the first stage eliminates candidates who don't have the correct credentials.
LSE do put a lot of weight on the personal statement because passion for your subject choice is important. That course looks very interesting so good luck!

brill thanks a lot! Dont think my grades are good enough. So i really need the PS to shine through.
Original post by Aj_16

Economic History does sound really interesting! Do you cover any specific countries and/or time periods or is it more like a general overview of the global economy as a whole?

I deffo agree with you on the reading aspect! For our Econ Hist module I sometimes find myself spending almost as much time on those assignments, as I would on the Micro, Macro and Maths ones combined!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending