The Student Room Group

Deputy Secretary General election - Voting

This poll is closed

Who should be elected Deputy Secretary General?

Nigel Farage MEP 58%
McRite 33%
RON8%
Total votes: 12
We have two candidates for Deputy SG, plus RON.

Please take a look at their manifestos below and post your questions here.

We'll have 2 days of Q&A followed by a vote.

NigelNigel

I’m the other candidate. I’m not going for all of that boring stuff like trying my hardest, being active, attracting new members or taking part regularly.

I’m Nigel. I’m the opposite of what the other candidate says, unless of course you liked what the other candidate says in which case I’m that as well.

With the other candidates you know exactly what you’re going to get; they will always let you down. Whereas I am so shiny and new, hopefully you won’t notice I don’t do anything at all apart from debate.

I am here to support the leader, temporarily pick up the slack if he’s away, and help him enforce his policies of interactivity, streamlining, and more discussion, all while continuing to debate for what I believe New Zealand and Russia believes is right.

McRiteHi All.

My name is McRite representative for Botswana and Turkey and I would like to run for DSG.

Why, because I'm on the MUN almost everyday and have been a member for a year. I believe I would be here to step in, in case the SG leaves and keep activity going, especially because I have a 2 month holiday.

To be honest will I be the best DSG? no. Do I have a 100% confidence and passion to do this role? no. What I'm sure of, is that I like the MUN, and if you vote for me expect roughly the same. Unlike some other candidates, at least I'm honest about my expectations.

Also, I'm here to make sure there's more than one candidate in the vote.

RON

Nigel Farage MEP
Good luck!
McRite
Good luck!
(edited 9 years ago)
I have some questions :smile:

1. What personal qualities make you most suited to this role?

2. How will you assist the SG to improve recruitment / participation in the MUN?

3. What kind of cheese do you like best?
Reply 2
Nigel? Do you mean Inactivity?
Original post by Aph
Nigel? Do you mean Inactivity?

No, Birchington in his manifesto for SG promised increased interactivity with regular polls promoted across TSR. I promise to support him in his goal of increasing interactivity.

Original post by junior.doctor

2. How will you assist the SG to improve recruitment / participation in the MUN?

1. I can separate TSR from real life. I feel it is important to remember TSR is a game needing to be treated differently than if we were making decisions in the actual United Nations. I also focus on the debate more than anything like to source and reference most of what I say to enhance things. With a high level of debate comes a high level of discussion.

2. First and foremost it is vital to keep the message consistent with that given out by the SG. The message can be a joint message including numerous voices within the MUN but needs to be consistent and coherent. I think a good starting point would be to try and divert debate out of the International forum into the MUN forum.

3. Cheddar: I like the traditional British stuff. I'm not a fan of the fancy French Brie.
Reply 4
1)How fast can you adapt to your roles?

2)What are your strengths and weaknesses?

3)Why should we vote for you?

4)What will you be doing as a DSG?

5)How much excited are you to begin the role as a DSG?

6)How would you describe a successful committee?

7) How would you describe yourself as a chair?

8)What criteria do you use to evaluate delegates?

9)How would you react to all delegations being extremely quiet and them refusing to respond to threads or whatever it is about MUN?

10)Let us know about your character type and behaviour.

11)How quickly will you respond to new joined requests to MUN?

12)Why does MUN give awards?

13)What do you think about the new SG and rules?

14)I missed the deadline to register to vote. Is there any way I can still vote in the election?

15)How will you maintain your relationship with MUNees?

16)What real life experience do you have to make use of in when being a DSG?

17)What would make you unique from other candidate?

18)How will you keep the MUNees satisfied while the SG is away?

19)How often could we see you in the MUN forums?

20)What do you think MUN is?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by junior.doctor

1. I'm good at being a kiss ap tbh, and would back up every brilliant plan our wonderful SG has offer.

2. I would follow his objectives, and try to fulfill them.

3. That powdery cheese :3 , don't know what it's called

Original post by Sena5

9)How would you react to all delegations being extremely quiet and them refusing to respond to threads or whatever it is about MUN?

14)I missed the deadline to register to vote. Is there any way I can still vote in the election?

I already have a years worth of experience so I know how the MUN works,I feel I can adapt quickly

*pass*

If you want a kiss up DSG with no willingness to go beyond the bare minimum to fulfill tasks, then vote for me :smile:

Like what you have been doing, sending PMs when the SG is not here, creating debate threads and the occasional hype.

I guess some what exciting.

Well rounded committee,members with different opinions and perspectives.

A big comfy one in the living room.

If they're active and have a strong opinion whilst being open minded.

BAN THEM ALL.....BAN.....THEM.....ALL........jk tbh I would pm them individually to ask them on what they didn't like and what would we improve to bring them back to the MUN.

Nice guy. Generous at times. Forgiving. Not the party type. etc.

As soon as I get them.

To motivate activity.

Our SG is amazing, the rules are a turn for the good.

No.

Tbh considering I know nothing about any TSR member or have relationships with, I high doubt this is possible.

My school had 4 houses and we would compete in interhouse competitions, I was a house captain, so that's my rl exprience.

I'm lazier, not much a debater like he is, and I dislike UKIP.

BOARD GAMES!!!!!! lol, well the usual run of the mill threads.

Once a day ,mostly, maybe once every 2 days rarely, one for more than 1 1/2 hrs actually a lot of times

A model United Nations?

Now here's my question, Why so many questions?????
Reply 6
Original post by McRite
1. I'm good at being a kiss ap tbh, and would back up every brilliant plan our wonderful SG has offer.

2. I would follow his objectives, and try to fulfill them.

3. That powdery cheese :3 , don't know what it's called

I already have a years worth of experience so I know how the MUN works,I feel I can adapt quickly

*pass*

If you want a kiss up DSG with no willingness to go beyond the bare minimum to fulfill tasks, then vote for me :smile:

Like what you have been doing, sending PMs when the SG is not here, creating debate threads and the occasional hype.

I guess some what exciting.

Well rounded committee,members with different opinions and perspectives.

A big comfy one in the living room.

If they're active and have a strong opinion whilst being open minded.

BAN THEM ALL.....BAN.....THEM.....ALL........jk tbh I would pm them individually to ask them on what they didn't like and what would we improve to bring them back to the MUN.

Nice guy. Generous at times. Forgiving. Not the party type. etc.

As soon as I get them.

To motivate activity.

Our SG is amazing, the rules are a turn for the good.

No.

Tbh considering I know nothing about any TSR member or have relationships with, I high doubt this is possible.

My school had 4 houses and we would compete in interhouse competitions, I was a house captain, so that's my rl exprience.

I'm lazier, not much a debater like he is, and I dislike UKIP.

BOARD GAMES!!!!!! lol, well the usual run of the mill threads.

Once a day ,mostly, maybe once every 2 days rarely, one for more than 1 1/2 hrs actually a lot of times

A model United Nations?

Now here's my question, Why so many questions?????

To know more about the candidates. :yep:

And this is an election. Anyone can ask any no. of questions. :smile:

Hope you found those interesting to answer.
Original post by Sena5

1) Very quickly. I am an adaptable person ready to face new situations. Past this, I can't really quantify it.

2) Strengths: debate, laid back, listening to everyone, I can quite easily switch from one mindset to another to make a debate more interesting. I am very talented when it comes to playing Devil's advocate

Weakness: I am easily annoyed by someone who purposely fails to not see the point, or is more interested in criticising rather than debate. As an example look at Nigel Farage on the Young Leaders debate yesterday.

3) I am the best person for the job.

4) Supporting the SG mainly and helping him with change.

5) If you judge excitement on a scale of your first day at school to running down the stairs on Christmas day shouting "he has been," I'm somewhere between unwrapping something from the stocking in the middle of the night to peeking out of the window hoping to catch a glimpse of Santa.

6) I think committees are set to fail. They're exclusive, often don't incorporate the right people, have no real power, and make decisions based on personal ideas.

7) Tough but fair making sure everyone is heard.

8) They're activity, nothing else. I do not mind delegates having completely different views than their real life counterparts. Provided they are within reason I like the idea of greater differentiation.

9) I do not believe the MUN should be an 'apply to join' thing, I believe the setup discourages people from joining. i would leave the ghost members be, but replace them if someone else wants their country.

10) The genuine nice guy with charisma.

11) As soon as I see them. i am on multiple times a day making acceptance quick. However, I do not believe the MUN should be set up in that way, instead it should be open. People may want to debate in the MUN on a really good thread we have but they can't without joining. They may not join because of time constraints or a lack of interest in the model. If they could still debate though, their interest would build up.

12) I would scrap the awards. I am unconvinced of their effectiveness in promoting activity.

13) I give my full support to the new SG. I would change the rules to make the place more laid back. Examples of rules I would campaign to change are the rules requiring OOC on some postings, the requirement to always be in representative mode, and the disciplinary process.

14) I believe there should be no registering needed so long as you are a TSR user. Until the MUN is like this, the SG should accept the late vote.

15) By being professional. There is no need to hit below the belt.

16) I am active and prominent members of debating club and politics club.

17) I am active, I do like debate, and I do support UKIP.

18) The DSG and SG are essentially the same. The DSG is a part-time SG filling in when the SG is not working his shift. A close working relationship ensures a smooth transition of duties unnoticed by the MUNees.

19) I could easily dedicate at least 4-5 hours a day to the MUN.

20) A sign of the future world. We are the leaders of tomorrow.
In one word, describe what sort of DSG you would be?

Original post by Sena5

Seriously? :rolleyes::facepalm2:
Reply 9
Original post by Snufkin
In one word, describe what sort of DSG you would be?

Seriously? :rolleyes::facepalm2:

Laidback

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Sena5
To know more about the candidates. :yep:

And this is an election. Anyone can ask any no. of questions. :smile:

Hope you found those interesting to answer.

Yeah it was interesting to answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck to you both.
Reply 12
Original post by McRite
Yeah it was interesting to answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very nice of you :smile:

Both of you are interesting. Let me see who to vote for :smile:

lol both of you seem to be good fit for the role..Anyways I'll have to put for one candidate..and whom shall it be? lol..suspense it until the results are out? Oh shall I say who I Voted for here now? :h: :jumphug:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Nigel Farage MEP
1) Very quickly. I am an adaptable person ready to face new situations. Past this, I can't really quantify it.

2) Strengths: debate, laid back, listening to everyone, I can quite easily switch from one mindset to another to make a debate more interesting. I am very talented when it comes to playing Devil's advocate

Weakness: I am easily annoyed by someone who purposely fails to not see the point, or is more interested in criticising rather than debate. As an example look at Nigel Farage on the Young Leaders debate yesterday.

3) I am the best person for the job.

4) Supporting the SG mainly and helping him with change.

5) If you judge excitement on a scale of your first day at school to running down the stairs on Christmas day shouting "he has been," I'm somewhere between unwrapping something from the stocking in the middle of the night to peeking out of the window hoping to catch a glimpse of Santa.

6) I think committees are set to fail. They're exclusive, often don't incorporate the right people, have no real power, and make decisions based on personal ideas.

7) Tough but fair making sure everyone is heard.

8) They're activity, nothing else. I do not mind delegates having completely different views than their real life counterparts. Provided they are within reason I like the idea of greater differentiation.

9) I do not believe the MUN should be an 'apply to join' thing, I believe the setup discourages people from joining. i would leave the ghost members be, but replace them if someone else wants their country.

10) The genuine nice guy with charisma.

11) As soon as I see them. i am on multiple times a day making acceptance quick. However, I do not believe the MUN should be set up in that way, instead it should be open. People may want to debate in the MUN on a really good thread we have but they can't without joining. They may not join because of time constraints or a lack of interest in the model. If they could still debate though, their interest would build up.

12) I would scrap the awards. I am unconvinced of their effectiveness in promoting activity.

13) I give my full support to the new SG. I would change the rules to make the place more laid back. Examples of rules I would campaign to change are the rules requiring OOC on some postings, the requirement to always be in representative mode, and the disciplinary process.

14) I believe there should be no registering needed so long as you are a TSR user. Until the MUN is like this, the SG should accept the late vote.

15) By being professional. There is no need to hit below the belt.

16) I am active and prominent members of debating club and politics club.

17) I am active, I do like debate, and I do support UKIP.

18) The DSG and SG are essentially the same. The DSG is a part-time SG filling in when the SG is not working his shift. A close working relationship ensures a smooth transition of duties unnoticed by the MUNees.

19) I could easily dedicate at least 4-5 hours a day to the MUN.

20) A sign of the future world. We are the leaders of tomorrow.

Nice to hear from you.:smile: Hope this didn't disturb you for answering numerous questions. :eek: lol

You both candidates are awesome indeed!!! :hugs:
Reply 14
Having only 12 people vote in this election clearly outlines the need for more radical reforms around here
Who is our victor?
Congratulations to Nigel Farage MEP, who is our new Deputy SG. Commiserations to McRite.

Nigel Farage MEP
x
McRite
x

Latest

Trending

Trending