The Student Room Group

Titration results table

I have a titre which requires multiple runs of the burette for the end point to be reached. Does anybody know what the conventional way to record this data is? I've done it like this but I don't know if it's easy to understand.

Reply 1
------------------------------Rough-----Run 1-----Run 2-----Run 3

Initial Reading (cm^3)
Final Reading (cm^3)
Titre (cm^3)

Hyphens instead of spaces...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
I have a titre which requires multiple runs of the burette for the end point to be reached. Does anybody know what the conventional way to record this data is? I've done it like this but I don't know if it's easy to understand.

Those titres aren't concordant, also you'd want the average volume not the total.
Reply 3
Original post by harper_
------------------------------Rough-----Run 1-----Run 2-----Run 3

Initial Reading (cm^3)
Final Reading (cm^3)
Titre (cm^3)

Hyphens instead of spaces...

Thank you

Original post by langlitz
Those titres aren't concordant, also you'd want the average volume not the total.

They aren't averages, I had to run the burette 3 times for the end point to work. So the titre was 137.75cm^3 I don't know how to write that properly in a table though.
Reply 4
You should decrease the conc. of the chemical in the burette by a factor of five OR reduce the amount of chemical in the conical by a factor of five. That way you'll use about 25 cm3 of titrant. Using the burette multiple times like that is not best practice; you're introducing equipment uncertainties.
Original post by BrokenS0ulz
Thank you

They aren't averages, I had to run the burette 3 times for the end point to work. So the titre was 137.75cm^3 I don't know how to write that properly in a table though.

Oh right.. As pigster said, you should decrease the concentration. Ideally you don't want to have to refill the burette half way through a titre, although sometimes it is unavoidable.
Reply 6
Original post by langlitz
Oh right.. As pigster said, you should decrease the concentration. Ideally you don't want to have to refill the burette half way through a titre, although sometimes it is unavoidable.

Original post by Pigster
You should decrease the conc. of the chemical in the burette by a factor of five OR reduce the amount of chemical in the conical by a factor of five. That way you'll use about 25 cm3 of titrant. Using the burette multiple times like that is not best practice; you're introducing equipment uncertainties.

Thanks for the replies. I didn't know how much it would take so after the rough titration I did a 1 in 10 dilution and decreased the amount in the conical flask and got suitable titres. I need to include the rough titration though. Is there a clearer way to record the data?
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/70646-practical-skills-handbook.pdf

I've been told to record my results in a table as seen on page 30 of this handbook. I think it's pretty easy to understand, but if you want a written table that includes results for reference, I'd be happy to send you a picture.
How do you find the concentration of the undiluted solution of the acid in titrations? If possible, could you explain it in terms of ratios e.g. 11.2cm3 (result of titre) : 0.002654 mol (moles in that amount).

My ISA's tomorrow :frown:
Original post by chuckster111
How do you find the concentration of the undiluted solution of the acid in titrations? If possible, could you explain it in terms of ratios e.g. 11.2cm3 (result of titre) : 0.002654 mol (moles in that amount).

My ISA's tomorrow :frown:

I'm not quite sure what you mean. So 11.2 cm3 of what was required to neutralise an acid? You need to know the concentration of what's in your burette and the balanced equation by which they react. Then you work backwards to work out the concentration/number of moles in your original solution

Quick Reply

Latest