The Student Room Group

I don't want to go to university but I've applied anyway

So, last week I applied to university through UCAS for 'Spanish and ab initio Italian.' At:
The University of Birmingham
The University of Bath
The University of Leeds
The University of Warwick
The University of York
However, I don't want to go and I never did - I applied solely as a formality (my school push us too much to apply and I didn't want to have to explain myself to them.) I deferred the year anyway incase for some miraculous reason I end up deciding to go (which isn't going to happen) but my question is,
where do I go from here? When is the best time to decline/reject my offers or place?
The plan is to work (I have a part time job doing about 16 hours a week already and they're always looking for staff who can work the awkward shifts). I then wish to get married and once I'm married and pregnant not work, so that I can be a housewife & homeschool my children. That is my dream and is all I want to do; I am sick of hearing from my school that I'm 'too good' to 'waste myself' by not going to university.
I am well-aware that going and then not working would mean that I wouldn't have to pay back my tuition and that it could broaden my knowledge and make me more intellectually 'superior'. However, the main reason I do not want to go is due to the university lifestyle. The fact that promiscuity and drunkedness is glamorised and in fact normalised into everyday life is beyond me. Yes, there's the option of living at home, but that would mean travelling for over 2 hours a day and is something I think is pointless seen as though I just don't want to go.

Anyway, how should I go about rejecting my place, should I wait until results day or because I am 'deferring' would that mean I would have to do so the following year.

After all, the fact that every career aims to support the homemaker means that it must be the best career.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There is no best time to reject your offers.
You could do it straight away so that you don't waster the unis' time looking at your application - but then it's a bit silly to apply and immediately withdraw. You're also wasting your UCAS application if you do change your mind. This might also mean you get more hassle from your college.
If you continue with the application, you'll be expected to choose a firm and insurance around May (this depends when you receive your last offer so could be later). At this point you could just decline all offers.
You could withdraw just before results day, which means the uni can offer your place elsewhere if they wish to. But you have to go in and see teachers on results day, so they might ask you where you're going - and you'll also probably have other people ask you too.
You can withdraw after results day. Some people might say it's a bit selfish to leave it this late, but it's your application so it's up to you. As long as you don't actually start uni you're fine to leave. Just be careful of signing any accommodation documents etc. You also need to be aware that your school might expect you to apply for finance, because you would need it if you were going.

You're not deferring. That means you'd be taking a gap year and going to uni a year later. You're just not going at all.
So you've applied for deferred entry? In which case it's fine, so long as you haven't signed up for student finance (I can't see why you would have done!) you can literally just leave it and it will automatically reject them all. School won't expect you to make a decision until May and by then you'll be on study leave and won't have to deal with the teachers who'd be nagging you :smile:
Reply 3
If you're applying to those universities, I'd say you are too good to waste yourself by not going to university.
Just do it now - if you don't want to go to uni you don't have to, don't let other people take control of your life
Bit of a sad ambition ngl, you don't want to work but just want to be a housewife?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Many people from my group also applied even if they don't want to go to uni. That's a total waste of space. Some people with lower grades might want to go to uni but they couldn't because of those who apply just because to make their teachers happy to raise the ratings of the school.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by daryZ
Many people from my group also applied even if they don't want to go to uni. That's a total waste of space. Some people with lower grades might want to go to uni but they couldn't because of those who apply just because to make their teachers happy to raise the ratings of the school.

Yeah it is a waste if you know you don't want to then cancel your application. The school cant force you. Stop taking places from people who truly want to go.
Original post by cali77
Yeah it is a waste if you know you don't want to then cancel your application. The school cant force you. Stop taking places from people who truly want to go.

I agree with that, if you're sure you want to cancel your application and not go to uni then there's no point in waiting any longer, they might not reject someone if there's one more space... your school should know that not everyone wants to go to uni, they need to accept you don't want to go.
Reply 9
Original post by daryZ

I and others who don't want to go either should not be held responsible for the failings of the education system we find ourselves in. If someone can't meet the grades to get into the university they wish to then they should be more realistic, their grades will be the same whether I apply or not and either way, that is not my problem. We need to get rid of the source of this problem, not simply eradicate the symptoms.
Original post by groovyd97
Bit of a sad ambition ngl, you don't want to work but just want to be a housewife?

I don't think that is a sad ambition, there are other ways to contribute to society and be successful. It's only 'sad' if the person has a dubious intention (laziness/leeching)

To OP, Uni isn't just for 'promiscuous drunken' students yaknow! And it isn't about becoming 'intellectually superior', it's more about opening your mind to the world and becoming a better, well-rounded person. Plus, going to Uni will help you make better character judgements for when it's time to pick your husband, or picking a wealthy/educated husband :biggrin: hah. Seriously though, food for thought.
Original post by lmk97
I and others who don't want to go either should not be held responsible for the failings of the education system we find ourselves in. If someone can't meet the grades to get into the university they wish to then they should be more realistic, their grades will be the same whether I apply or not and either way, that is not my problem. We need to get rid of the source of this problem, not simply eradicate the symptoms.

That's not the case because your place can still be offered to someone that wants it. So you are still filling slots unnecessarily. Unis determine who gets offered a place based on the average grades of all applicants. Its not the system at fault here
Original post by cali77
That's not the case because your place can still be offered to someone that wants it. So you are still filling slots unnecessarily. Unis determine who gets offered a place based on the average grades of all applicants. Its not the system at fault here

It would take alot of applicants to affect the average grades a Uni wants. But that's another issue.

The 'system' pushes students to apply to University so that everyone gets a fighting chance whether they want it or not. When you're young, it's easy to change your mind, make mistakes, but it is still the 'system's responsibility to encourage them to keep that option open. So OP has every right to keep her slot if she wants to. This would only be a problem if a significant amount of students were doing the same thing.
Reply 13
Original post by cali77

Unis make many more offers than they have places, because they knoe people turn them down (for whatever reason). So no, the OP isn't going to make any difference

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by groovyd97

Posted from TSR Mobile

Contraction: sad ambition.
It is not sad whatsoever, motherhood is one of the most beautiful yet demanding experiences a woman can have.
Reply 15
Original post by coffeecakey
I don't think that is a sad ambition, there are other ways to contribute to society and be successful. It's only 'sad' if the person has a dubious intention (laziness/leeching)

To OP, Uni isn't just for 'promiscuous drunken' students yaknow! And it isn't about becoming 'intellectually superior', it's more about opening your mind to the world and becoming a better, well-rounded person. Plus, going to Uni will help you make better character judgements for when it's time to pick your husband, or picking a wealthy/educated husband :biggrin: hah. Seriously though, food for thought.

I know it isn't just for promiscuous students! but I don't want to put myself in an environment where one night stands are deemed normal or I feel pressured to drink and take drugs. There are of course moral people that attend the institutions, but I know I give in easy to peer pressure and don't think it's worth jeopardising my morality when I am not even keen on going or spending all that money for nothing!

I guess it's a way of meeting people but there are many other ways to meet people and spending £9,000 a year to do so seems a little frivolous!!
Original post by lmk97
I guess it's a way of meeting people but there are many other ways to meet people and spending £9,000 a year to do so seems a little frivolous!!

Heh, that does seem a tad frivolous :biggrin: :biggrin: Out of curiosity, did you get 5 offers already just like that?
Reply 17
Original post by coffeecakey
Heh, that does seem a tad frivolous :biggrin: :biggrin: Out of curiosity, did you get 5 offers already just like that?

I've had 3 offers; not received one from York or Leeds yet
Original post by lmk97
I know it isn't just for promiscuous students! but I don't want to put myself in an environment where one night stands are deemed normal or I feel pressured to drink and take drugs. There are of course moral people that attend the institutions, but I know I give in easy to peer pressure and don't think it's worth jeopardising my morality when I am not even keen on going or spending all that money for nothing!

Are you trying to say people that drink and/or have one night stands are not moral? Why do you think this?
Original post by lmk97
So, last week I applied to university through UCAS ...However, I don't want to go and I never did ...
The plan is to work (I have a part time job doing about 16 hours a week already and they're always looking for staff who can work the awkward shifts). I then wish to get married and once I'm married and pregnant not work, so that I can be a housewife & homeschool my children. That is my dream and is all I want to do; .....

After all, the fact that every career aims to support the homemaker means that it must be the best career.

There are plenty of women who with hindsight would say that you have the right idea - have your children first, put your energies into homemaking, when you are young and fit; you can then pursue a career later, by which time you are likely to have a much clearer idea of what you would like to do with your (post kids) life and whether that will need a degree - and you will still have your entitlement to financial support intact. Starting a career and then having to put it on hold is tricky at the best of times.

For instance, I think this year's Bake-Off winner didn't study for her MBA until she was 40.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending