The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

should I visit?

I've been offered a place at the uni to study psychology and I really want to visit but I don't know if I can as the only days are on wednesdays and living in london I don't think i would be practical coming alone as all my friends will be at school and my parents are working. I was hoping to visit on a saturday but apparently the uni is closed for the christmas holidays. what should I do as I'm not keen on accepting if I haven't visited.
Original post by em211997
I've been offered a place at the uni to study psychology and I really want to visit but I don't know if I can as the only days are on wednesdays and living in london I don't think i would be practical coming alone as all my friends will be at school and my parents are working. I was hoping to visit on a saturday but apparently the uni is closed for the christmas holidays. what should I do as I'm not keen on accepting if I haven't visited.

You've got plenty of time before you have to decide, could you go in January or even wait until half term in february when you probably have more time to look around and make a decision? That's what I'd do anyway :smile:
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Original post by furryface12
You've got plenty of time before you have to decide, could you go in January or even wait until half term in february when you probably have more time to look around and make a decision? That's what I'd do anyway :smile:

But at the same time I want to get it all over and done with! I want to just be done with ucas for now so I can just focus on revision.
But at the same time I want to get it all over and done with! I want to just be done with ucas for now so I can just focus on revision.

I can see that and I'd be the same, but in reality you don't have to do anything else before your decision so for now you can focus on revision and think about it more after christmas. By then you might have a bit more idea of what grades you might get and where is more realistic, as well as where else has given you an offer. It's up to you though obviously- they're unlikely to have finished for christmas yet I'd imagine so if you went this weekend you might be alright? That's really not a lot of time to organise trains etc though so I personally wouldn't bother! :redface:
Reply 4
I can see that and I'd be the same, but in reality you don't have to do anything else before your decision so for now you can focus on revision and think about it more after christmas. By then you might have a bit more idea of what grades you might get and where is more realistic, as well as where else has given you an offer. It's up to you though obviously- they're unlikely to have finished for christmas yet I'd imagine so if you went this weekend you might be alright? That's really not a lot of time to organise trains etc though so I personally wouldn't bother! :redface:

my dad is away at the moment and only comes back around the 20th
my dad is away at the moment and only comes back around the 20th

In which case I think you'd be better waiting a bit. You're still in a lot better position than many other people (me included- not even sent my UCAS off yet and it was 9th of January last year :eek:) so just keep going with your A levels and make your decision in a couple of months would be my advice :yep:
Reply 6
In which case I think you'd be better waiting a bit. You're still in a lot better position than many other people (me included- not even sent my UCAS off yet and it was 9th of January last year :eek:) so just keep going with your A levels and make your decision in a couple of months would be my advice :yep:

Alrighty :smile: I thik because it's such an exciting time i just wanna get it all done. but i see exactly what you mean and ill try visiting some time during january
Alrighty :smile: I thik because it's such an exciting time i just wanna get it all done. but i see exactly what you mean and ill try visiting some time during january

Yep, I can imagine that! But there's really no advantage to doing it in a rush and it'd be awful to get to March or April and think you made the wrong decision, so it really is better to wait in the long run! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been invited to an applicant open day which falls on a Saturday. Is there no applicant open days for your course?

Hi em211997

If you've got an offer you should have had an invite to a visit day. (If you haven't, let me know by PM with your UCAS ID and I'll look in to it for you.) If it's for Psychology in the School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences, they are all on a Wednesday.
There's one tomorrow and the rest are in February and March.

You don't have to have accepted your offer to come to a visit day - that's the idea - a good look round the department before you make up your mind if you're not 100% sure.

I know what you mean about wanting everything sorted and finished, but as you said you're not keen on accepting without visiting and I think that's a really sensible outlook. It's a big decision and it's worth hanging on and visiting first to make sure you're happy that this is the right place for you.

Vicky
Reply 10
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi em211997

If you've got an offer you should have had an invite to a visit day. (If you haven't, let me know by PM with your UCAS ID and I'll look in to it for you.) If it's for Psychology in the School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences, they are all on a Wednesday.
There's one tomorrow and the rest are in February and March.

You don't have to have accepted your offer to come to a visit day - that's the idea - a good look round the department before you make up your mind if you're not 100% sure.

I know what you mean about wanting everything sorted and finished, but as you said you're not keen on accepting without visiting and I think that's a really sensible outlook. It's a big decision and it's worth hanging on and visiting first to make sure you're happy that this is the right place for you.

Vicky

thank you perhaps in february. My only concern is that my parents both work and i have mock exams in march so i'd want to study for most of march but i definitely think i'll make it work. When do you close for christmas? I don't mind popping in on a saturday just to see the campus itself i haven't seen some of the psychology department at my other choices anyway so that doesn't really bother me just as long as i get to speak to someone.
Hi em211997
Term finishes 13th December.
After that date the support services are still around until Christmas Eve and we start back on 5th January.
If you came on a Saturday, it's pretty quiet so you wouldn't be able to necessarily speak to someone relevant, but there would be people around and you would get to see the campus.
Hope this help a bit.
Vicky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending