The Student Room Group

Who is smarter?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zeetingman
That kid was in the dumbest set in Year7 and somehow he worked his way up. His grades are nearing mine but it's quite annoying that every time I work hard they'll still put him in a higher set than me.
Ive got a B three times in Science the highest he has ever achived in his school life is probably a C and thats a solid C.
I'm in his set for RE and trust me his sentences never make sense but he still get a B-.

Anyone can work their way up a set, think of it as football divisions. Also year 7 sets are not reflection of how intelligent or capable an individual is. You need to grasp this.

Hard work boy, hard work.

in regards to the final bold. You're not the judge of his work. The teacher is, so if his work is marked at a B- chances are he earned it.

My advice would be to get over yourself.
Original post by Blazar
Good on him. It sounds like he works much harder than you.

Pardon?
I don't you read my post...last year I dropped a set in Science and went down to his set because of my D+. After that I worked my socks off and go a B+. Then in the final exam I got a B- while he was still probably working at a C.
So beat him now!Get good grades now!
Original post by nohomo
If we're judging smartness on grades you're both thick but you're thicker for asking this on a forum.

Not really, i'm just asking for other people's opinions.
Original post by Skill Twix
So beat him now!Get good grades now!

Thanks for the advice we did do the exam about a month ago. Every time I did an exam, I thought to myself I need to beat him. I worked my socks off when I was revising for these exams. I even refused to go to church twice. If he still beats me then I know there is something wrong or the Computer is broken. If he does stay in the top set I will actually fight to bring him down.
Not really, i'm just asking for other people's opinions.

Your getting them?
Original post by Adeel Ali
Your getting them?

Yup, your post counts as an opinion.
Thanks for the advice we did do the exam about a month ago. Every time I did an exam, I thought to myself I need to beat him. I worked my socks off when I was revising for these exams. I even refused to go to church twice. If he still beats me then I know there is something wrong or the Computer is broken. If he does stay in the top set I will actually fight to bring him down.

You will fight to bring him down.
Maybe he is working harder than you, you tool. Maybe he deserves to go in a higher set?

Are you really that butthurt?
Original post by Ciranore
Are you really that butthurt?

Kind of, when I dropped from the top set I felt so bad when he got promoted to the top set, I got so angry. So what I decided to do was forget about it, I worked my socks off in every exam I did, I came a higher rank in him in every core subject except Maths which we tied in. Yet, they still put him in the top set...so yeah in the most recent exam i'm hoping that he drops set and he feels the pain, he feels it. Were doing less subjects so i'm hoping it'll be easier to move a set.
A 10 year old? They normally won.
Original post by Adeel Ali
You will fight to bring him down.
Maybe he is working harder than you, you tool. Maybe he deserves to go in a higher set?

Yup, I will actually fight to bring him down. I know from my heart that I am smarter than him. I know ive got higher than him in RE, Science and probably Geography.
why is he your benchmark? get a handle on yourself and do your own thing. You need to understand you both have average grades, nothing special. Work on improving your own grades... oh and aim a bit higher. I'm under the impression if he got EEEEEEE and you got DDDDDDD you'd be over the moon just because you got one over him.

Anyone else really hoping this other kid really outdo's him in the next exams lol?
Original post by Ciranore
why is he your benchmark? get a handle on yourself and do your own thing. You need to understand you both have average grades, nothing special. Work on improving your own grades... oh and aim a bit higher. I'm under the impression if he got EEEEEEE and you got DDDDDDD you'd be over the moon just because you got one over him.

Anyone else really hoping this other kid really outdo's him in the next exams lol?

This guy has done "better" than me in 2 exams. I can admit the first exam, I really didn't try so I can understand why he did better than me. But the second exam...I came top 30 in my year group in Science and he comes 46th in the whole year group.
Yup, I will actually fight to bring him down. I know from my heart that I am smarter than him. I know ive got higher than him in RE, Science and probably Geography.
This is jealousy pure and simple.

If you let jealousy turn into revenge and get a grip on your life, IT will bring YOU down and ultimately destroy everything you do: exams, job, career, relationships, possessions - everything.

There will always be others better than you in everything - unless you aim to usurp God.

Do yourself a favour and grow up a tad. You will be thankful you did.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think you've shot yourself in the foot by posting this on the realm of pretentious academic snobbery which is TSR.
Reply 36
The problem you are facing is a kind of school-induced psychological myopia. You spend most of your time at school, so you think that it matters whether or not there is someone in class that is marginally better than you.

You need to buck your ideas up. When school-time is over in a couple of years, all that will matter is how well you did, not how well your peers at school did. Consequently, your focus right now should be on increasing your poor grades right now! Grades between B and D are not good grades - that is the simple fact of the matter. Neither you or him have grades that are going to get you very far right. Work harder, and work for yourself; otherwise, if you spend all your time obsessing over the notion that you are smarter than your peer (similar to a dwarf feeling superior for being taller than a midget), you are in for a rude awakening.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
This is jealousy pure and simple.

If you let jealousy turn into revenge and get a grip on your life, IT will bring YOU down and ultimately destroy everything you do: exams, job, career, relationships, possessions - everything.

There will always be others better than you in everything - unless you aim to usurp God.

Do yourself a favour and grow up a tad. You will be thankful you did.

I wouldn't call this an act of jealosuy...:eek:
This guy has done "better" than me in 2 exams. I can admit the first exam, I really didn't try so I can understand why he did better than me. But the second exam...I came top 30 in my year group in Science and he comes 46th in the whole year group.

Get straight A*s (preferably at 100%) then he literally can't beat you. It's the only way.

To me it's a little offensive that a guy I knew since year 7, that I know is dumb is apparently academically achieving better than me.

If he is "dumb", surely you should be achieving better grades than him? In all fairness, your grades aren't \that\ much better than his.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending