The Student Room Group

Muslim mother has problems with me going shisha

Hi all

I went to a hookah bar on Saturday with my mother's friend son and I asked her after I came from the bar whether she had any problems with this to which sh replied "No". Subsequently she then told me a story on how the person I went to with Hookah was rejected for a certificate from his Muslim community due to the fact the Muslim community found out he smoked. She then told me it's best not to go to Shisha.

I really enjoy Shisha, having drinks, smoking and listening to music and I see a lot of Muslim boy and girls at hookah bars.

Why should my mother have a problem with this when a lot of Muslims even those wearing hi jabs go to hookah bars?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all

I went to a hookah bar on Saturday with my mother's friend son and I asked her after I came from the bar whether she had any problems with this to which sh replied "No". Subsequently she then told me a story on how the person I went to with Hookah was rejected for a certificate from his Muslim community due to the fact the Muslim community found out he smoked. She then told me it's best not to go to Shisha.

I really enjoy Shisha, having drinks, smoking and listening to music and I see a lot of Muslim boy and girls at hookah bars.

Why should my mother have a problem with this when a lot of Muslims even those wearing hi jabs go to hookah bars?

Because it is not exactly good for your health now is it.
It's like that line from Waterboy: 'what momma don't know won't hurt her'.
Because it's unhealthy

Posted from TSR Mobile
So?

Not everything is good for your health, alcohol can be bad for your health,nobody is going to be in perfect health. These things exist which I want to do.
1 hour of shisha = 200 cigarettes, its not just 'bad' its terrible for your health, just because its cultural doesnt mean its okay
It's not a good environment for a Muslim to be in, it may aswell be a club without the alcohol. I'd say it's one of the biggest fitnahs of our time and it's sad it's become the norm among young Muslims and they don't see a problem with it just because other Muslims go. Not to mention the actual shisha which is worse that smoking cigarettes since it has no filter and your smoking it for hours on end. Ultimately it is just a huge waste of time especially when it becomes a regular thing and you spend hours there almost everyday, spend your time doing something more meaningful.
Reply 7
It is unhealthy..honestly I don't see the buzz around it.
Original post by Yasmin-9970
1 hour of shisha = 200 cigarettes, its not just 'bad' its terrible for your health, just because its cultural doesnt mean its okay

You get tobacco free shisha though, don't you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Катя
You get tobacco free shisha though, don't you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but just because it doesn't contain tobacco doesn't mean its harmless. It contains incredibly harmful carcinogens such as benzene. I think Yasmin-9970 is saying the damage that smoking shisha for one hour causes is equivalent to the damage that smoking 200 cigarettes causes. Although I'm not sure how accurate that statistic is, I'm pretty sure that smoking shisha is just as bad as (or worse than) smoking cigarettes.
(edited 9 years ago)
So many Muslims smoke cigarettes though, smoking cigarettes is a waste of time and money as well. I'm not looking to spend my time there I am looking to occasionally go to shisha not waste my time there.
Gotta let young Muslims have some fun, right? Then again, I've found shisha to be profoundly pointless, I have no idea what you are supposed to get out of it.

Quick Reply

Latest