The Student Room Group

How to get better at maths.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Smaug123
The schedules for the Cambridge Mathematical Tripos are available. (http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad/course/schedules.pdf) I would strongly recommend learning how to think like a mathematician rather than rotelearning content, though.

Why would I rote-learn? I have the intentions of understanding the stuff otherwise my skill level wouldn't go up...
Are you saying It would not make sense to me? I am rather quick/ efficient at learning so it shouldn't take too much time to ''bridge the gap'' as they say. I suppose i bridged the gap but I went much much further and bridged a whole lot more than the gap lol
Reply 21
Original post by MathMeister
Why would I rote-learn? I have the intentions of understanding the stuff otherwise my skill level wouldn't go up...
Are you saying It would not make sense to me? I am rather quick/ efficient at learning so it shouldn't take too much time to ''bridge the gap'' as they say. I suppose i bridged the gap but I went much much further and bridged a whole lot more than the gap lol

University level mathematics is nothing like A-level mathematics so don't try and treat it as such.

In my albeit limited experience I think it's much better to go to university with the right attitude and thoughts rather than to sit there learning some basic set theory which you would do in 1st year.

The required skill-set for A-level is essentially rote-learning. The required skill-set for undergraduate maths is essentially understanding, and in my experience it's entirely possible to go through school with top marks without ever learning to understand anything. Hence my recommendation to make sure you are able to think in the right ways first.

Original post by poorform

Maths has never been about rote-learning at any level.
Well I've always understood everything easily anyway.
And yes I have a good frame of mind.

So where should I start?
(edited 9 years ago)

I think you underestimate the step from A level to undergraduate maths. I found almost no step from GCSE to A level, but it was a bit of a shock being thrown into proving (what I found to be at the time) quite complex theorems with very little support.

I'll pm you the work books for Warwick Analysis I. 10 work books where you pretty much have to self teach basic analysis, but they're quite difficult when you start in my opinion.

They require no further knowledge than C1 I don't think...
Original post by TheIrrational
I think you underestimate the step from A level to undergraduate maths. I found almost no step from GCSE to A level, but it was a bit of a shock being thrown into proving (what I found to be at the time) quite complex theorems with very little support....

I know- I've got into some weird need to learn everything before hand haha!
I am not underestimating the step from a-level- well not any more anyway- so even more reason to work at it.
Thank you for the materials :smile:
btw It doesn't matter what level of material from A-level they require whatsoever :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Maths has never been about rote-learning at any level.
Well I've always understood everything easily anyway.
And yes I have a good frame of mind.

So where should I start?

Spoiler

Original post by ThatPerson

Spoiler

I'm talking about uni level stuff
Reply 28

I think you are a little deluded to be honest. Shouldn't you be focusing on actually making sure you get to uni first.

I'm all for people reading outside the scope of a course but it seems like your one of them people who act extremely intelligent but in reality are bang average.

No offense.

I don't have experience with undergraduate mathematics, but I'm sure there is some rote-learning of proofs for exams.

If you want to look at something that approaches university maths, look at MAT or STEP questions (depending on how much of the A-Level syllabus you have learnt).
Maths is 100% about persistence. Everything follows simple logical steps that lead to other simple logical steps.
I like to think Maths as a puzzle with different topics as different pieces of the puzzle. If you don't understand parts of one topic it can be hard to make sense of the whole thing.
Keep at it because the grunt work will pay off.
I think you are a little deluded to be honest. Shouldn't you be focusing on actually making sure you get to uni first.
I'm all for people reading outside the scope of a course but it seems like your one of them people who act extremely intelligent but in reality are bang average. No offense.

Offence taken :redface: - you don't know me ahaha. Btw the average for A level maths and Fmaths is not an A*...
...Do you mean average on tsr?
Of course I will get into a good uni.
I'm better than bang average, average and maybe a few of the levels above... :tongue: Don't come accusing me of being average.
No I'm not deluded- I'm confident in my ability.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 32
Offence taken :redface: - you don't know me ahaha. Btw the average for A level maths and Fmaths is not an A*...
...Do you mean average on tsr?
Of course I will get into a good uni.
I'm better than bang average, average and maybe a few of the levels above... :tongue: Don't come accusing me of being average.

A* at A-Level means very little. There are plenty of students who have strings of A* at A-Level that find the gap very difficult as they are just not used to ever learning or thinking in a certain way.

The fact you think you are above average because you are aiming for an A* in a level speaks volumes to me.

My tutor was telling me about a student who had a B at A-level and said he was the best student he'd ever seen 97%avg.
A* at A-Level means very little. There are plenty of students who have strings of A* at A-Level that find the gap very difficult as they are just not used to ever learning or thinking in a certain way.

I am aware of the easiness of A-levels (because I can do A level maths now).
Reality: Everything in my last post + ...
..Exactly- the step is large as you say so what's better than to try and start ''thinking in a certain way'' and to try and bridge the very large gap?
I am not underestimating the step from a-level- well not any more anyway- so even more reason to work at it.

This is not something you can meaningfully judge, by the very definition of "underestimate".
This is not something you can meaningfully judge, by the very definition of "underestimate".

I'm ''estimating'' that you guys/gals are right and that it will be hard.
I'm ''estimating'' that you guys/gals are right and that it will be hard.

"Hard" is not a binary quantity. You give the strong impression of estimating that it will be on the easy end of hard. We don't have enough data to know whether it will be on the impossible end of hard.
"Hard" is not a binary quantity. You give the strong impression of estimating that it will be on the easy end of hard. We don't have enough data to know whether it will be on the impossible end of hard.

I love your maths speak.
btw- Was that an actual joke? :redface:
I highlighted the parts of the sentence which were humorous.
(edited 9 years ago)
I love your maths speak.
btw- Was that an actual joke? :redface:
I highlighted the parts of the sentence which were humorous.

How would you phrase it without those words? And how is "impossible end of hard" a maths phrase? "Data" is hardly technical, and you "estimate" all the time without explicitly invoking maths.
How would you phrase it without those words? And how is "impossible end of hard" a maths phrase? "Data" is hardly technical, and you "estimate" all the time without explicitly invoking maths.

You've got to admit the stuff you come up with is funny bro. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest