The Student Room Group

Maths, Bio, chem and...?

Any recommendations for 4th subject?

not further maths(don't love maths that much)
was thinking physics but feeling very intimidated after being told its SO HARD by everyone

i recognise a contrasting subject such as history would be good but i HATE subjects like that. My brain can't deal with it. However i do enjoy English Lit but i don't like to write about stuff just to explore the literature through talking lol
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Hate_skl

was thinking physics but feeling very intimidated after being told its SO HARD by everyone

If you don't love maths, I don't think you will like physics that much either.

What do you want to do at uni?

What subjects do you enjoy the most currently?

I wouldn't let other people's views on a subject influence you - everyone is different, and different people have different strengths.
Reply 3
I'd recommend doing physics :smile: but if you particularly enjoy another subject then go for that.
Physics goes hand in hand with your other subject choices and I honestly find chemistry harder.
Reply 4
Original post by Chief Wiggum
What do you want to do at uni?

What subjects do you enjoy the most currently?

I wouldn't let other people's views on a subject influence you - everyone is different, and different people have different strengths.

My fav subjects are science and maths. That is it. These are the subjects that i love revising for and can be in class feeling good. Honestly, I have no other subjects i want to continue it for another 2 years. I'm not looking for someone to influence me but recommend me a subject they think is productive, easy (as i'll probably drop it after the first year) and interesting.

Oh and something science in uni
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by .georgie
I'd recommend doing physics :smile: but if you particularly enjoy another subject then go for that.
Physics goes hand in hand with your other subject choices and I honestly find chemistry harder.

is the understanding in physics hard?what do you have to do differently in physics that you don't in other subjects? i feel quite nervous about it because of its reputation.
I do maths, chemistry, biology, and physics. And I recommend you do too, physics IS hard, but that doesn't make it impossible. Since you've considered it, I imagine you enjoy it, and if you enjoy it you won't find it that difficult. It's important that you do subjects you enjoy, otherwise you won't have the motivation to work. And trust me a lot of independent work is required. A good option would also be a contrasting humanity or art subject like history. But obviously that depends on whether or not that's something that interests you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am choosing economics for the first year! It seem's interesting enough! :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by LouN1997
If you don't love maths, I don't think you will like physics that much either.

how would you describe physics?
Reply 9
is the understanding in physics hard?what do you have to do differently in physics that you don't in other subjects? i feel quite nervous about it because of its reputation.

Most of the concepts are just an extra step on GCSE, a few are a little more difficult to get your head around. However as long as you pay attention and make sure you understand it during lessons you'll be fine. :smile: don't let other peoples views put you off. As I said I personally find it one of the easier subjects to get a decent grade in.
Reply 10
Original post by .georgie
Most of the concepts are just an extra step on GCSE, a few are a little more difficult to get your head around. However as long as you pay attention and make sure you understand it during lessons you'll be fine. :smile: don't let other peoples views put you off. As I said I personally find it one of the easier subjects to get a decent grade in.

Thanks for the useful advise. What subjects do you take?
Reply 11

Physics is hard and only weirdos like it. If you pick it you won't be able to concentrate on it as much as your other subjects , and it will pull your grades down, especially if u didn't get all A* or A at GCSE. So I recommened a business studies, sociology, psychology or economics.
Reply 12
Thanks for the useful advise. What subjects do you take?

No problem :smile: I do biology, chemistry, physics and maths, and surprisingly I have no regrets with the subjects I chose haha
Reply 13
how would you describe physics?

Don't be intimidated by physics just because you don't like maths, most of the maths in physics is just rearranging formulas and putting values in. I only chose it on enrolment day because I'd done better than I expected at GCSE.

Physics (I think, at least) is really interesting, the most boring thing you'll do is electricity, which is essentially all the GCSE electricity but with a few bits added. Particle physics is pretty cool, and so is most of the other stuff we've done so far.

Physics compliments maths and vice versa so you could look into that as when you will be doing maths physics will help you and when you are doing physics maths will help you.
Reply 15
Original post by German123
Physics compliments maths and vice versa so you could look into that as when you will be doing maths physics will help you and when you are doing physics maths will help you.

Is most of the maths in Physics rearranging formulae, because that's really easy?
Reply 16
Original post by 2en1
Physics is hard and only weirdos like it. If you pick it you won't be able to concentrate on it as much as your other subjects , and it will pull your grades down, especially if u didn't get all A* or A at GCSE. So I recommened a business studies, sociology, psychology or economics.

How does liking physics make someone a 'weirdo'? I'm also guessing you don't study Physics, and when you did study it, you really didn't like it.

Physics shouldn't pull your grades down just because you didn't get a top grade. Once you've grasped the basics in physics, then it's pretty easy because you just build on stuff you've already learnt.

Business, sociology and psychology aren't really respected by unis, and OP hasn't expressed an interest in these subjects. Economics is by far my most boring subject, and I find it harder than all my other subjects - Maths, FM and Physics.
Is most of the maths in Physics rearranging formulae, because that's really easy?

There is a lot of algebra in A level maths from what i have heard.
Reply 18
Original post by aoxa
How does liking physics make someone a 'weirdo'? I'm also guessing you don't study Physics, and when you did study it, you really didn't like it.

Physics shouldn't pull your grades down just because you didn't get a top grade. Once you've grasped the basics in physics, then it's pretty easy because you just build on stuff you've already learnt.

Business, sociology and psychology aren't really respected by unis, and OP hasn't expressed an interest in these subjects. Economics is by far my most boring subject, and I find it harder than all my other subjects - Maths, FM and Physics.

Wow really? I guess everyone's different . I'm Doing A2 maths and I find it the hardest :frown: so I was just advising OP from my perspective. Sorry to generalise like that ha
My fav subjects are science and maths. That is it. These are the subjects that i love revising for and can be in class feeling good. Honestly, I have no other subjects i want to continue it for another 2 years. I'm not looking for someone to influence me but recommend me a subject they think is productive, easy (as i'll probably drop it after the first year) and interesting.

Oh and something science in uni

Well, if your favourite subjects are sciences and maths, and not any others, then I'd recommend doing Physics, especially since that was what you originally wanted to do anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest