The Student Room Group

Who is smarter?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VannR
The problem you are facing is a kind of school-induced psychological myopia. You spend most of your time at school, so you think that it matters whether or not there is someone in class that is marginally better than you.

You need to buck your ideas up. When school-time is over in a couple of years, all that will matter is how well you did, not how well your peers at school did. Consequently, your focus right now should be on increasing your poor grades right now! Grades between B and D are not good grades - that is the simple fact of the matter. Neither you or him have grades that are going to get you very far right. Work harder, and work for yourself; otherwise, if you spend all your time obsessing over the notion that you are smarter than your peer (similar to a dwarf feeling superior for being taller than a midget), you are in for a rude awakening.

I'll consider your post.
Reply 41
Who knows. I'm quite the sceptic when it comes to inferring a person's intelligence from their GCSE results.
Original post by miser
Who knows. I'm quite the sceptic when it comes to inferring a person's intelligence from their GCSE results.

Some of the grades aren't confirmed but we have been getting our grades here and there from teachers who don't give a crap about the rules.
Original post by Zeetingman
I wouldn't call this an act of jealosuy (sic)...:eek:
What would you call it then?

Oxford English Dictionary definition:

Jealous adj 1 fiercely protective. 2 afraid, suspicious or resentful of rivalry. 3 resentful or envious

He has achieved something you 'perceive' you are entitled to which he is not in your own opinion. You are showing feelings of being aggrieved, suspicious of his achievement, resentful of his achievement, protectiveness of your own achievement.......
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
What would you call it then?

Oxford English Dictionary definition:

Jealous adj 1 fiercely protective. 2 afraid, suspicious or resentful of rivalry. 3 resentful or envious

He has achieved something you 'perceive' you are entitled to which he is not in your own opinion. You are showing feelings of being aggrieved, suspicious of his achievement, resentful of his achievement, protectiveness of your own achievement.......

Sorry but he hasn't achieved anything. Ive said this many times and i'm going to have to say it again.
Firstly, he fluked his way into top set English. Back in KS3 the highest level he could attain was probably a 6c or a 6b. I got a 7c back in KS3. Secondly, again in core science the highest he probably achieved was a C, the highest ive ever acheieved is a B+, I did once get an A- but it was on a mini progress checker test. Thirdly, we both do different humanties but i'm pretty sure i'd still get higher than him even if I did his humanity. Finally religious studies the highest he has probably got is a B+. The highest ive ever got is an A-. Don't say B+ and A- are the same they're not. In a real GCSE the paper would just say A or B. I think the reason why he is in a higher set than me is because he got higher grades on rubbish subjects such as Drama, Art and Music which I did poorly in, in KS3 or course.
Original post by Johann von Gauss
Anyone who thinks that intelligence is correlated with Religious Education is the lesser intellect.

Not sure what you mean by that. :confused:
Sorry but he hasn't achieved anything. Ive said this many times and i'm going to have to say it again.
Firstly, he fluked his way into top set English. Back in KS3 the highest level he could attain was probably a 6c or a 6b. I got a 7c back in KS3. Secondly, again in core science the highest he probably achieved was a C, the highest ive ever acheieved is a B+, I did once get an A- but it was on a mini progress checker test. Thirdly, we both do different humanties but i'm pretty sure i'd still get higher than him even if I did his humanity. Finally religious studies the highest he has probably got is a B+. The highest ive ever got is an A-. Don't say B+ and A- are the same they're not. In a real GCSE the paper would just say A or B. I think the reason why he is in a higher set than me is because he got higher grades on rubbish subjects such as Drama, Art and Music which I did poorly in, in KS3 or course.

Ahhh. So you are jealous that he got into a higher set than you and your pride is hurt.

You are completely missing the point.

Whether he deservedly achieved something or not in your own opinion does not matter.

The only thing that matters is what YOU achieve in your final GCSE exams. If you think that being in a higher set puts you at a disadvantage somehow, then get your head down and work hard.

Your final achievement will be all the more satisfying because you will know it is all your own effort.

Don't waste your energy over something that you cannot change - put that into your own efforts and prove them all wrong by getting A's or higher.

Much of the work at GCSE can be learned from the rich resources found on the internet and also from help here on TSR in the study help forums.

Concentrate on yourself and forget any rivalry - rise above it.
Not sure what you mean by that. :confused:

This has just proved his point lolol.
Lol it's good to have say a competition but it shouldn't be more than that.

I had a douche bag that did this too me, very jealous and told me he was gonna own me(one of my mates who stalks my posts will know, he was there :P).
In the end he got like all Cs and Bs. I Got mostly As,a few Bs... lol. He is still burthurt to this day, my mate was telling me that he was talking about it a few days ago( I don't know that guy anymore lol). It's sad cause he is stuck doing some ****ty thing now, while I just try my best.

Don't be that guy I was describing, just do your thing and try your best lol. Why can't you wish for him to get the same grades as you, which would be high grades, rather than wish he drops down sets.
Well you got three Bs so your grades are better, but this doesn't necessarily make you smarter...
Original post by amberskye
Well you got three Bs so your grades are better, but this doesn't necessarily make you smarter...

Finally someone who understands!!!
It doesn't matter what he gets. You should look at your own self and always try to rise up. Learn from your mistakes, work hard etc and everything will go fine.

Few questions printed on a paper won't really test who is smarter. He might be better than you in something, and you might be better in some other thing.

Work hard and smart.
Original post by Daniel Atieh
It doesn't matter what he gets. You should look at your own self and always try to rise up. Learn from your mistakes, work hard etc and everything will go fine.

Few questions printed on a paper won't really test who is smarter. He might be better than you in something, and you might be better in some other thing.

Work hard and smart.

Alright.
Who do you think is smarter after looking at both of the peoples results.
Science
Me: B
Other guy: D+
Maths
Me: C-
Other guy: C
Religious Education
Me: B+
Other guy: B-
English
Me: B
Other guy: C+
French
Me: D-
Other guy: D+

Why do you feel the need to compare?
Original post by German123
Why do you feel the need to compare?

Because I know that I am smarter than the guy.

Well, it clearly does not seem like it because your grades are somewhat similar. Instead of complaining on a forum why not do some serious revision to actually prove that you are smarter than that guy.
Well, it clearly does not seem like it because your grades are somewhat similar. Instead of complaining on a forum why not do some serious revision to actually prove that you are smarter than that guy.

Do revision for what?
We have just started new Units LOL.

You do not start a sentence with a "Because". Are you sure you are smarter than that guy?
You do not start a sentence with a "Because". Are you sure you are smarter than that guy?

Just because we have nothing to revise, it doesn't give you an excuse to reply to something that you have already replied to :tongue:
Do revision for what?
We have just started new Units LOL.

Well you did ask if he was smarter than you and my response was that your grades look similar to his. If you seriously want to prove that you are smarter than him you have to do a better job than this.

Remember "practice makes perfect".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending