The Student Room Group

Help on naming organic compounds!

Give the systematic chemical name of CCl2F2, CCl4, and CHCL2CHCL2
Got a test tomorrow and found these hard, as I'm not too sure on how to name it.:confused:
Original post by samira155
Give the systematic chemical name of CCl2F2, CCl4, and CHCL2CHCL2
Got a test tomorrow and found these hard, as I'm not too sure on how to name it.:confused:

Reply 2
Original post by Jacksgap
x

You shouldn't really be handing out answers.
It's NOT coming up in the test she's going to do tomorrow

Hopefully she/he gets it

:smile:
Reply 4

Thank you so much:smile:, I didnt understand how to do it before.
Reply 5
It's NOT coming up in the test she's going to do tomorrow

Hopefully she/he gets it

:smile:

That wasn't my point.

How is she supposed to get it by you just giving the answers?
Reply 6
Thank you so much:smile:, I didnt understand how to do it before.

You didn't understand how to draw out the structures? :confused:
Reply 7
Original post by Blobar
You shouldn't really be handing out answers.

Why not? I was just asking for help, so how was I meant to understand if someone didnt give me an answer? Mate your logic is unbelievable, and this wont come up in my test as it was a question in a revision guide.
Reply 8
Original post by Blobar
You didn't understand how to draw out the structures? :confused:

No, if you read the thread properly, I didnt know how to NAME THESE SPECIFIC COMPOUNDS. So exit yourself out of this thread now.
Reply 9
Why not? I was just asking for help, so how was I meant to understand if someone didnt give me an answer? Mate your logic is unbelievable, and this wont come up in my test as it was a question in a revision guide.

Why don't you go look up how to name molecules maybe using the IUPAC rules and not just expect answers on here. My logic is unbelivable? Ok.

So if I asked you to name CH3CCl2CH2CF3 you'd be able to do it now would you seen as you understand? If so then fair enough.
Reply 10
Original post by Blobar
Why don't you go look up how to name molecules maybe using the IUPAC rules and not just expect answers on here. My logic is unbelivable? Ok.

So if I asked you to name CH3CCl2CH2CF3 you'd be able to do it now would you seen as you understand? If so then fair enough.

Mate, the answer is 2,2-dichloro-4,4,4-trifluorobutane, so take a seat and chill out, I havent learnt the kind of questions that I asked about, so that doesn't mean I don't know how to name SIMPLE compounds. Go troll somewhere else.
Reply 11
Mate, the answer is 2,2-dichloro-4,4,4-trifluorobutane, so take a seat and chill out, I havent learnt the kind of questions that I asked about, so that doesn't mean I don't know how to name SIMPLE compounds. Go troll somewhere else.

Troll?

No just wanting to make sure you actually understand. Fair enough that you knew it so good enough for me. I don't know why you have to be so confrontational about it.
Reply 12
Original post by Blobar
Troll?

No just wanting to make sure you actually understand. Fair enough that you knew it so good enough for me. I don't know why you have to be so confrontational about it.

I was probably confrontational due to you being fairly rude earlier, treating me like I'm dumb like asking me to name compounds, and for the fact that your were pretty arrogant.
Reply 13
I was probably confrontational due to you being fairly rude earlier, treating me like I'm dumb like asking me to name compounds, and for the fact that your were pretty arrogant.

Rude? No, I was simply stating forum rules of not just giving out answers. As for the compound name, it was just a case of me wanting to make sure you understood but by that point you'd already been fairly confrontational anyway so that isn't an excuse. Arrogant? Again not really.
Reply 14
Original post by Blobar
Rude? No, I was simply stating forum rules of not just giving out answers. As for the compound name, it was just a case of me wanting to make sure you understood but by that point you'd already been fairly confrontational anyway so that isn't an excuse. Arrogant? Again not really.

I simply asked a question on how to name the compounds, fair enough the person who replied could have answered it a bit better, and explained it. But I didn't ask for the answer but just how to work it out, which could have been worded slightly better in the description. But I felt that you came across as quite rude, which is why I responded like that.
I simply asked a question on how to name the compounds, fair enough the person who replied could have answered it a bit better, and explained it. But I didn't ask for the answer but just how to work it out, which could have been worded slightly better in the description. But I felt that you came across as quite rude, which is why I responded like that.

Blobar is correct. You are defending a very irrational point. Additionally, don't be rude to users who are bringing up a valid point, being spoon-fed answers is not a good way to learn at all.
Reply 16
Original post by Protoxylic
Blobar is correct. You are defending a very irrational point. Additionally, don't be rude to users who are bringing up a valid point, being spoon-fed answers is not a good way to learn at all.

Its not being spoon-fed if I said I needed help, at what point did i actually say that I only wanted the answer, the guy who replied showed the answer, and it would be rude not to appreciate the effort he/she made. Please elaborate on how im defending an irrational point. At first i thought this guy was being quite rude, as i simply just asked for help, and he/she replied not contributing to the thread. I see now that he/she was only trying to help but that user should have put it across in a better way, as i thought it was a troll, just trying to annoy me.
To be fair, guys Samira is right and also I guess it was my fault that I should have explained it too :biggrin:

I think blobar wanted to point out i should explain, but since it's chemistry I assumed samira knew all about IUPAC so i just jotted down the answer.

Bro it's chemistry, it's no biology to explain stuff in words.

You cannot go simply explaining that four cl go on carbon. I am pretty sure samira knows that. It's MATTER OF DRAWING THAT MAKES SENSE when it comes to organic chemistry.

I can't say stuff like for Hydrogen is bonded to Carbon and it's bonded to Cl... etc.

All i wanted to do was help her out for tomorrows test (hence urgent), that might help her with practising these questions.

UNDERSTOOD? It's not any other subject content to go explaining, otherwise she'd be sitting all day waiting for the reply like I do in TSR.

Quick Reply

Latest