The Student Room Group

Woman said she was asked to cover up while breastfeeding her baby at Claridges.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-30298382

I wasn't intending to go to Claridges anyway. I would not want to go to any cafe or restaurant or any other venue with such an attitude. It saddens me that there even has to be a law effectively to say it is a right to breastfeed in public.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am seriously disgusted by this, people tend to forget they were once babies and that they were once breastfed!

-Why is it that a man or woman can eat in public but when a baby does it's shameless?
-And why is it that men are allowed to bear their chests in the public but when it's a woman she is to cover herself up and have some "shame"?

Sexism is alive and well
That's why England should adopt the law we have here in Scotland. No one has any legal right to prevent a woman from breast feeding in any location. Sadly, even though it is protected by law, this sometimes still happens.
Reply 3
Surprised Claridges weren't bright enough to realise the furore this would cause. Unsurprised that some of their clientele might be fazed by the hint of a glimpse of a boob.
Original post by sadly
I am seriously disgusted by this, people tend to forget they were once babies and that they were once breastfed!

-Why is it that a man or woman can eat in public but when a baby does it's shameless?
-And why is it that men are allowed to bear their chests in the public but when it's a woman she is to cover herself up and have some "shame"?

Sexism is alive and well

Yes I'm sure they completely forgot that they were once babies.
Reply 5
Original post by thunder_chunky
Yes I'm sure they completely forgot that they were once babies.

They sure do act like they have :rolleyes:
Who cares, just cover up or feed your baby at another time
This really annoys me. Like;

Revealing everything for the sake of "beauty" and getting laid = okay.
Revealing barely anything for the sake of feeding a baby = not okay.

????????????????????

Society is messed up. Just because it isn't out for guys to get a hard on over, geez..
Well tbh I've seen breastfeeding in public that was barely noticeable and then some with the tit just hanging out there. I can at least understand why a place of business might not want the latter (and it's not up to them to change the entire societies' view on tits in public).
Come on, there isn't a right to do something that might put other people off in someone else's establishment. People get really emotive over this because babies!!1!! are involved, but it's really not that weird to ask someone not to get a sexualised part of their anatomy out for a small period of time. I know women really struggle with this part because it feels very personal to them, so before replying I'd like you to imagine men could also feed babies via a private part of them and how you'd feel about a guy whipping it out in the vicinity. If the establishment decided they didn't like guys doing it, and they asked them to refrain, would you really back the guys right?

For the record I'm fully ok with people breastfeeding in public but any establishment has the right to tell any guest there to abide by their sense of propriety. Breastfeeding is fine, acting like the customer is always right isn't.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sadly

Sexism is alive and well

I don't think this is sexism in the slightest. Although natural, breast feeding in public does make some people feel uncomfortable.

There's discrete ways of breast feeding that some militant feminists don't like to adhere to just to prove a point.

Judging by the story, it looks like somebody overreacted, lessons have been learnt and we're all better for it.
Agree also , sorry don't do thing's like that in a public forum e.g a Coffee shop etc it's very distracting and people always stare for me I always end up giggling as I constantly think of that guy off ''Little Britain'' going ''Bitty'' but seriously do it behind closed doors please!
Reply 12
Original post by MatureStudent36
I don't think this is sexism in the slightest. Although natural, breast feeding in public does make some people feel uncomfortable.

There's discrete ways of breast feeding that some militant feminists don't like to adhere to just to prove a point.

Judging by the story, it looks like somebody overreacted, lessons have been learnt and we're all better for it.

Whether it's discrete or not, breastfeeding is breastfeeding. A mother doesn't breastfeed to flaunt her breasts? Breastfeeding is only ever for the benefit of a baby. To feed the baby.

Why does it make people uncomfortable? They can look elsewhere, nobody is stopping them from doing so. Does nature disturb them?

Anyways my previous point above about showing chests is a blatant example of sexism, something that is seeping through society
If they were to get off their cross for a second, they'd realise that there's no need to slip out your entire yabboes in order to breastfeed. My mum was able to feed me and my siblings without anyone really noticing what she was doing.
Honestly, I'd find watching somebody breastfeed whilst I eat quite off-putting. :redface:
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Come on, there isn't a right to do something that might put other people off in someone else's establishment. People get really emotive over this because babies!!1!! are involved, but it's really not that weird to ask someone not to get a sexualised part of their anatomy out for a small period of time. I know women really struggle with this part because it feels very personal to them, so before replying I'd like you to imagine men could also feed babies via a private part of them and how you'd feel about a guy whipping it out in the vicinity. If the establishment decided they didn't like guys doing it, and they asked them to refrain, would you really back the guys right?

For the record I'm fully ok with people breastfeeding in public but any establishment has the right to tell any guest there to abide by their sense of propriety. Breastfeeding is fine, acting like the customer is always right isn't.

Just......no
Original post by plasmaman
Just......no

Yeah wasn't great typing that but I thought it might help some of the inane 'zomg it's natural so it must be ok' replies in their tracks.

But instead it just meant they tried to fly under the radar.

Original post by sadly
Whether it's discrete or not, breastfeeding is breastfeeding. A mother doesn't breastfeed to flaunt her breasts? Breastfeeding is only ever for the benefit of a baby. To feed the baby.

Why does it make people uncomfortable? They can look elsewhere, nobody is stopping them from doing so. Does nature disturb them?

Anyways my previous point above about showing chests is a blatant example of sexism, something that is seeping through society

That's right I saw you. Nice try. :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't think being asked to cover up is that bad, most people wouldn't really want to see it anyway. At least with her covered by the napkin it may have been more obvious but no-one could see what was happening, even if they knew she was breastfeeding.
Original post by Sulpha
Taking a dump isn't about flaunting your arse yet people don't do that in public.

It's nothing to do with sexism.

Yeah. I don't know what hygiene issues there is but this makes sense. There's obviously a reason why people make this connection. I don't often see women breastfeeding in public, it tends to be bottles or nothing. I can't help but think there's a show off connotation going on here. Especially when someone does it in a swimming pool.

It's disappointing to see self-victimisation here to justify breastfeeding in public and make it a gender thing. Clearly women have different opinions on this the same as men. It's like saying a man asking men to not stand up and pee is sexist.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
To be honest, I don't like the idea of someone breastfeeding while I was eating. Even if I were the one breastfeeding, I'd be so uncomfortable with the idea of people watching/eating around me, I'd just go somewhere else.

Surely it'd be easier to have a small room somewhere where the woman could breastfeed in peace? This would stop them from being watched or people becoming uncomfortable around the mother.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending