The Student Room Group

Did you go to private school?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by El-Presidente
No, because then our already bankrupt government has to cough up more money to pay for more kids to go to state schools on top of those brought here by mass immigration!

As for me, I'm still at a private school. I was watching something about private schools about 30 minutes ago lol. Mine is nothing like that, or at least in my friends group we're nothing like that. I actually have a massive dislike of the OTT snobbery you get in Southern private schools, but coming from Yorkshire up in t' north - we're cool :smile:.

I know many nice people who go to southern private schools in the south of England, however it just so happens they come from the south west of England. (Not me), if you where properly educated in humanities you would know how bad it is to generalise. Tut, Tut ,Tut
Reply 81
No, but I almost went to a grammar secondary, and then was going to go there for AS but ultimately decided against it.
Reply 82
Original post by rainbowclare
Then, perhaps those who earn enough to spend £10000 a year on each of their children's educations should pay more tax? Mass immigration is a whole other issue but you should remember that it improves our GDP.

GDP isn't everything haha :tongue:. Mass/unqualified immigrants are actually a drain on the economy, simply because they do not/cannot pay tax as they are exploited and on poor jobs. They then go take advantage of our welfare system, NHS and education sectors etc. (I would do the same thing, don't get me wrong). In the end, the fact of the matter is, the immigration policy of the past decade has been a drain on the country.

Richer people (Who don't avoid tax) do pay more tax. They have a higher % of income tax (45% currently) and they pay more tax anyway simply because they have more taxable income by a landslide.
I went to a girl's grammar school
Reply 84
Original post by Alastair H
I know many nice people who go to southern private schools in the south of England, however it just so happens they come from the south west of England. (Not me), if you where properly educated in humanities you would know how bad it is to generalise. Tut, Tut ,Tut

Come, come now. Us northerners have always had a chip on our shoulder. Be reasonable! :biggrin:
GDP isn't everything haha :tongue:. Mass/unqualified immigrants are actually a drain on the economy, simply because they do not/cannot pay tax as they are exploited and on poor jobs. They then go take advantage of our welfare system, NHS and education sectors etc. (I would do the same thing, don't get me wrong). In the end, the fact of the matter is, the immigration policy of the past decade has been a drain on the country.

Richer people (Who don't avoid tax) do pay more tax. They have a higher % of income tax (45% currently) and they pay more tax anyway simply because they have more taxable income by a landslide.

I understand how tax and GDPs work... My state school did provide me with an education. But my point still stands that if you have £10000 p/a to spend on your children's education then you certainly could afford to pay a little more tax. Alternatively, funds could be found elsewhere to be used for one of the most important parts of our government's budget - the education of young people.

I am sorry to catch you out again, however there are many fraudulent rich people in this country. Moreover our "immigration problems" as some would say allow necessary jobs to be fulfilled which the people in this country would not do. Furthermore the other way is the same many pensioners have left the country because they want to retire in southern France and Spain, To conclude although some do not pay tax and live off the benefits system the majority do not and in return for being in the EU a couple of million people can retire in Spain who would otherwise be stuck here, increasing tax to pay there pensions.
Original post by Emma:-)
Well maybe proud isnt the right word, but im sort of glad i went to a normal school rather than a private school.

Oh, whys that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cormac Easton
yeah whatever secretly you wish your parents invested into your education like mine. My parents care.

I'm sure most people's parents "care". But not everyone's parents are wealthy.

Why do we have to turn this in to an argument about who's better than who, and who's prouder to go to which school? It's pathetic.
Original post by Jamie S
Yes, with a scholarship and bursairy

I know your school!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I understand how tax and GDPs work... My state school did provide me with an education. But my point still stands that if you have £10000 p/a to spend on your children's education then you certainly could afford to pay a little more tax. Alternatively, funds could be found elsewhere to be used for one of the most important parts of our government's budget - the education of young people.

Why because you do not believe that multiple hundreds of thousands of pounds is enough tax to subsidise a system we do not use.
I did indeed :smile:
Why because you do not believe that multiple hundreds of thousands of pounds is enough tax to subsidise a system we do not use.

Sorry, which system that who doesn't use?
My younger siblings do, but I don't and never have.

Apparently, my mum almost sent me to one, but then decided that I was doing just fine in a state school. The same kind of reasoning applied when time came to go to secondary school, and I didn't do the 11+. The reasoning applied again when I chose my sixth form, and opted to stay where I am.
Reply 94

I think we actually agree when it comes to taxation :P, I was just saying they already do pay more :smile:.

I am sorry to catch you out again, however there are many fraudulent rich people in this country. Moreover our "immigration problems" as some would say allow necessary jobs to be fulfilled which the people in this country would not do. Furthermore the other way is the same many pensioners have left the country because they want to retire in southern France and Spain, To conclude although some do not pay tax and live off the benefits system the majority do not and in return for being in the EU a couple of million people can retire in Spain who would otherwise be stuck here, increasing tax to pay there pensions.

Ofc which is why I highlighted 'those who do pay tax'. I know many don't, and it really p***** me off.

Well, no, because if you retire to Spain as a British citizen the British government pays your pention lol. The Spanish only benefit from UK retirees.

I've heard the argument many times that these people have fulfilled vital jobs, no, they haven't. If this was the case, how did the country function so well prior to the mass immigration post-2003? :tongue:. It is a quite frankly ludicrous argument that I hope will be corrected one day, because it's a very old and overused argument.

I am in favor of a points system similar to Australia and Canada. I'd love to pay for everyone's welfare and healthcare but far too many young and naïve people need to realize this isn't possible. We don't have the money. And, say if we had a shortage of bin men we could advertise these jobs abroad and only let in as many as we need - not have open immigration! That's the whole point of the anti-mass immigration debate.
I go to a state school.

Interesting that the proportion of those who went to private school is greater on this forum than nationwide.

I think that there are benefits and drawbacks of both private and state-funded education.
Went to private international schools around the world up until the age of 13, when my father passed away.

I had to move to a local secondary school because the fees were too high without my dad's salary.

Edit: fees were upward £20k per year (none of them were boarding schools) when we weren't citizens of the UK (roughly the same overseas but the company paid for it) and £10k when we got citizenship.
(edited 9 years ago)
No, I have not, but I wish I can!
Unfortunately.
Private schools seem amazing, including the content of each academic subject.
I wonder how lessons in private schools are like...
(edited 9 years ago)
Nope and I'm glad I didn't. One of my friends in my sixth form went to a private school in year 7 and he said he absolutely hated it. I enjoyed all of my time at the secondary school I went to and got what I consider to be decent GCSE results(1A,1B,3Cs,1D&1E) and I stayed on at my schools sixth form to do the subjects that I want to do and I enjoy them.
Sorry, which system that who doesn't use?

If a family who pays tax goes to a private school then they do not cost the government money in their education, however often will be from the families paying more tax. This is not always as there are a) Many families who pay exceedingly large amounts of tax and b) private school students on bursaries who do not, however my parents have payed in to a school system which neither my sister or I have ever used.

Quick Reply

Latest