The Student Room Group

an eye for an eye?

the sharia law presents that if someone kills another then they should be killed etc.
it is obvious that this is fair, opinions?
i know it may seem harsh but the crime rates are rising faster than ever, and i think the best way to reduce them would be strict rules as such.
if you were unlawfully and unrighteously hurt by someone would you wish that the same torture is inflicted upon the other person?
considering the case of April Jones, Baby P and Victoria Climbe.
Reply 1
We have Laws to regulate that.
Harshness of punishment is not a deterrent to crime. The death penalty in countries which have it is proof of that: (China 4000+, Iran 300+, Pakistan 240+, Sudan 200, Algeria 153, Egypt 100, Thailand 100, India 80, Saudi 80, Iran 80, US 46 etc).

If the premise was true then one would expect capital punishment to be non-existent in these countries because no-one would dare to take the risk.

Capital punishment does nothing but play into the bood-lust of baying masses bent on revenge and retribution. in other words, the state version of 'giving them a damned good kicking'.

Eye for an eye causes more problems than it simplistically tries to correct.

It's the same philosophy (when taken to its limit) that leads to regional conflict, war, ethnic cleansing, genocide and if the means existed - nuclear obliteration.

Sharia should stay where it belongs - 1400 years ago in the past. It does not belong in the 21st century.
(edited 9 years ago)
1) Newish account? *tick*
2) Post about Islam? *tick*
3) Controversial topic? *tick*

Troll confirmed
Reply 4
Original post by Mimir
We have Laws to regulate that.

im aware of that, but i was asking whether you think the laws 'that regulate that' are fair, you clearly haven't understood the question well - or simply haven't bothered to read the points mentioned..
Reply 5
You dont know what youre saying.
Reply 6
You know what they say;

"An eye for an eye leaves a sour taste in the goats left trouser pocket".
Original post by lorealblab
i know it may seem harsh but the crime rates are rising faster than ever, and i think the best way to reduce them would be strict rules as such.

Did you have any proof of that or did you just make it up?

Crime rates are actually falling and have been for a number of years:
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/jul/14/crime-statistics-england-wales
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Sabertooth
Did you have any proof of that or did you just make it up?

Crime rates are actually falling and have been for a number of years:
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/jul/14/crime-statistics-england-wales

ridiculous. the article you provided dates back to April 2013. how about;
http://www.scotsman.com/news/chris-marshall-more-to-crime-stats-than-meets-the-eye-1-3623065

although they may be falling according to your article, why so many news articles regarding crime compared to a odd few years ago. accept it or not, the crime rates are increasing -to an extent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending