The Student Room Group

Mother wants me to pray 5 times a day and be a religious individual which I don't

Hi

My mother wants me to practice the religion and pray 5 times a day and by living a religious lifestyle such as joining my local mosque and taking part in activities which they deliver.

This also means I cannot go to Hookah bars, Nightclubs or even going to restaurants and take aways to eat which would be forbidden. Furthermore I am unable to keep a girlfriend either. The only thing I would have the ability to do is pray 5 times a day to something I don't really want to do.

The reason she wants me to join the local mosque is she once use to be part of the local mosque where she was actively involved and had a very good reputation. She wants to carry on her status through me.

I value the activities western society allows me to participate in and having fun and also value the Islamic culture of obtaining knowledge such as pursuing education and not being involved in western activities such as dancing, drinking etc to better oneself.

I really need someone else's opinion and broaden my perspective. What would you do in this situation?

Furthermore: She wants me to have status and respect within the local muslim community. By actively pursuing a western lifestyle I would not be able to gain this.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
x

Which do you value more. The choice is ultimately down to you.
Reply 2
You can still go to restaurants
Why don't you want to pray five times a day?
Reply 4
Are you yourself a muslims (do you actually believe in it)?
If you think that going to pray and getting involved in your mosque is good for you, then surely you should be more inclined to do so. However, with all do respect your mother's intentions are wrong. Praying to show off is in act of minor shirk; that is doing acts that please God but with the intentions of pleasing other people. If you want to pray, pray for the right reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can have a life even if you prayed 5 times a day. Prayer doesn't take up the whole day.
Hi

My mother wants me to practice the religion and pray 5 times a day and by living a religious lifestyle such as joining my local mosque and taking part in activities which they deliver.

This also means I cannot go to Hookah bars, Nightclubs or even going to restaurants and take aways to eat which would be forbidden. Furthermore I am unable to keep a girlfriend either. The only thing I would have the ability to do is pray 5 times a day to something I don't really want to do.

The reason she wants me to join the local mosque is she once use to be part of the local mosque where she was actively involved and had a very good reputation. She wants to carry on her status through me.

I value the activities western society allows me to participate in and having fun and also value the Islamic culture of obtaining knowledge such as pursuing education and not being involved in western activities such as dancing, drinking etc to better oneself.

I really need someone else's opinion and broaden my perspective. What would you do in this situation?

Furthermore: She wants me to have status and respect within the local muslim community. By actively pursuing a western lifestyle I would not be able to gain this.

I usedvto be in the same situation. My mother used to do the same and I always disobeyed her. And then after some years I started to think about Islam in my own way. Do what you feel like doing. I started realizing that Allah and Islam is all about believing. I do pray 5 times a day now. But the also hang out and live a normal teenager's life. So,don't push yourself. Someday you're gonna understand what you need to do.
Reply 8
follow ur religion than disobeying
Please keep comments sensible and on topic, any unhelpful comments will be removed, thanks.
Original post by DaraPark
follow ur religion than disobeying

Lol I think the bit below is referring to you
Original post by needy2.0
Lol I think the bit below is referring to you

For the record, I meant disobeying my mum's orders not the religion. I am religious enough to know what is disobeying. But I don't support " pushing people to follow it".
ok...
Your mother would not like to here this, but here's how it is. That religion is bull****. Every religion is bull****. It's all just an imaginary, primitive, poisonous pack of lies invented in a time when nobody knew better. Every moment you give to it is a moment wasted on a figment of someone else's imagination. It impedes your own progress as an individual and the progress of our species as a whole. They are all just irrational manipulative cults that prey on fear, guilt, shame, and uncertainty and rely on the brainwashing of children and the pressure of family & peers to survive. If you buy into it you are wasting your one and only youth.
(edited 9 years ago)
People prayer for strength through hardship and material possessions. I am under the belief the human body can endure hardship itself and material possessions come through working and studying not praying.
Original post by james22
Are you yourself a muslims (do you actually believe in it)?

Yes I Muslim, I don't believe in God but I believe energy is our creator. I like the belief system of the Islamic religion. So yes I am a believer.
Yes I Muslim, I don't believe in God but I believe energy is our creator. I like the belief system of the Islamic religion. So yes I am a believer.

You sound far more spiritual than muslim. I'm fairly sure that believing in God is an essential part of being a muslim.

If you don't want to follow Islam, don't do these things. It is your life and it is your choice, and your choices have to be respected.

Don't be so hard on yourself and don't let others do the same.If you are a believer you will understand what to do someday.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Your mother would not like to here this, but here's how it is. That religion is bull****. Every religion is bull****. It's all just an imaginary, primitive, poisonous pack of lies invented in a time when nobody knew better. Every moment you give to it is a moment wasted on a figment of someone else's imagination. It impedes your own progress as an individual and the progress of our species as a whole. They are all just irrational manipulative cults that prey on fear, guilt, shame, and uncertainty and rely on the brainwashing of children and the pressure of family & peers to survive. If you buy into it you are wasting your one and only youth.

When looking at this through a balanced approach your perspective is also valid. Yes I do also agree the religion is based on fear which although I don't like I've come to terms with it. However changing ones belief system is rather difficult when they been brought up with it an did is ingrained in their minds.
Original post by james22
You sound far more spiritual than muslim. I'm fairly sure that believing in God is an essential part of being a muslim.

If you don't want to follow Islam, don't do these things. It is your life and it is your choice, and your choices have to be respected.

My understanding of Allah was energy. The creator of the universe etc. For example Stephen Hawkings said there is a particle which has created the universe. This is what I believe to be Allah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending