The Student Room Group

British Muslims face worst job discrimination of any minority group, acc. to research

Scroll to see replies

I essentially think its a case of me understanding why but not really thinking its right.
Reply 21
As a Muslim this doesn't bother me at all.
Reply 22
Original post by sarsoora
British Muslims face worst job discrimination of any minority group, according to research - The Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-muslims-face-worst-job-discrimination-of-any-minority-group-9893211.html

Do you think this is true?

If you were a non-Muslim employer, would you hire a non-Muslim over a Muslim - given they were equally well-suited for the job?

Don't see any problem with this. If I was hiring someone who was good at the job, trustworthy and someone I can chat with during breaks, then obviously I would have my own preferences over someone that I can just tolerate due to their lifestyle/attitude differences. After all, employers in the private sector can hire whoever they want. We're not living in a communist country you know.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ClickItBack
As a non-Muslim, it is quite evident that these days it is almost legitimate in the eyes of an alarming proportion of society to spew racism against all Muslims. Sadly, I do think a Muhammad on a CV would have worse outcomes than a George, Georgina, Oluwole, Ajay or Shen.

Edit: OK, I've skimmed the article and despite what I said above I have to point out that it is total *******s. All they've quoted are statistics that Muslims are less likely to be in work than other ethnic groups. That says nothing about discrimination at all - it could be down to a host of other factors, such as poorer education, qualifications, or more of a benefits culture in the community.

One day maybe journalists will get a clue about inference ...

Do you know what you're a fool, not all Muslims depend on benefits. Children of people from ethnic minorities are pressured to do well at school and go to Uni.
We know who are the biggest scroungers are. There was a study done years ago that if your name is foreign sounding you'll be rejected straight away compared to white sounding names on CVs.

Of course, if you're not a minority it's something you'll never get.
I would not hire an equally capable Muslim over a non-Muslim. Being Muslim involves holding certain ideals and, while the non-Muslim might hold similar ideals, it would be much harder to find out about them. As soon as someone tells me they are Muslim, I know there is a very good chance that I will disagree with them on subjects like homosexuality.

Skin colour wouldn't make a difference to my choice of employee, religion would.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by _icecream
Do you know what you're a fool, not all Muslims depend on benefits. Children of people from ethnic minorities are pressured to do well at school and go to Uni.
We know who are the biggest scroungers are. There was a study done years ago that if your name is foreign sounding you'll be rejected straight away compared to white sounding names on CVs.

At what point did he say all Muslims depend on benefits? I've read his post over and over, yet I still cannot see that bit.
Reply 26

One cannot generalise about the plight of minorities. Sikhs/Hindus are far more productive and have far less problems with employment as compared to other minorities such as muslims.

Except they never claimed all Muslims were lazy and on benefits or anything similar regarding minorities. They were stating that the article is a load of oversimplified tripe because hasn't considered any variables at all. They then went on to list several factors that could possible account for these findings whereas the article is essentially, "loads of Muslims are unemployed therefore it must be discrimination" with no evidence whatsoever.

Edit: And who are the real scroungers that you refer to? White people? Because the statistics show that they are the least likely to claim any sort of benefits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Juan
Go to Muslim countries and not only will you not get a job but most likely be killed, raped, enslaved and singled out. Look at the countries now, persecution of Christian, Jewish, natives, small minority populations.

Original post by The Juan
You can not criticise the English when if things were reversed treatment against us would be exponentially worse. You have no right to even bring up such an issue.

Then we are better than them, or at least we ought to be. The way they treat others socially does not mean we're allowed to follow suit.

It never fails to surprise me how sodding poor reading comprehension is on this forum sometimes.

First, I did not make any claim about 'all Muslims'.

Second, I did not even suggest that there IS more of a benefits culture in the Muslim community; rather, that that could be an explanatory factor for lower representation in the workforce - what the journalists conclude must be due to discrimination.

Here is an example someone with a mental age of ~6 years old should be able to understand:

'The grass could be wet because of various factors: the sprinkler came on, it rained, there was a flood. But this does not mean that I am saying that it DEFINITELY rained last night.'

Also, I am a minority. Not that that should matter in the slightest.
We'll there so much hate on this forum, theres a few of you who have said they rather hire a non muslim over a muslim. I just find that pathetic and ignorant, you act like if you hire us your at risk of being forced to believe our religion, thats not true at all, if you hire someone for a job they there to do that job to the best of their ability, especially when it requires a degree. Why should religion be a boundary to that. We have been brought up in Briton and therefore know how to properly integrate with people of different communities ( however in all racers there are the few expectations which shouldn't be used to generalise to everyone else) , you don't hire someone just so you can have some small talk about their beliefs ( especially when it doesn't have anything to do with the job).

I personally want to open my own practise up in the near future. To me it doesn't matter if they White, Asian or black - Christian, Muslim, Jew.... . As long as they qualified for the job and are friendly, they would get the job.

Also a lot of my friends who all come from different backgrounds ( Poor, Rich, White , Asian ,Christians, Muslims and non believers) have said the same thing. It just seems to me from this forum and past forums on TSR, that members of the TSR are typically the biggest discriminators.
(edited 9 years ago)
I never put the religion I was born into on the equality section of job applications. When I did, I never got any replies. They say it's anon but these recruitment teams ain't loyal.
Reply 32
Yes my uncle works for a big firm and have found muslims harder to please in the work place

Problems demanding Halal food, seperate toilets, prayer rooms
Original post by ClickItBack
As a non-Muslim, it is quite evident that these days it is almost legitimate in the eyes of an alarming proportion of society to spew racism against all Muslims. Sadly, I do think a Muhammad on a CV would have worse outcomes than a George, Georgina, Oluwole, Ajay or Shen.

Edit: OK, I've skimmed the article and despite what I said above I have to point out that it is total *******s. All they've quoted are statistics that Muslims are less likely to be in work than other ethnic groups. That says nothing about discrimination at all - it could be down to a host of other factors, such as poorer education, qualifications, or more of a benefits culture in the community.

One day maybe journalists will get a clue about inference ...

LOL Islam isn't an Ethnic group. its not a race/
Islam isn't an ancient ideology, is the youngest out of the three Abrahamic religions.
Original post by miscounted_time
Except they never claimed all Muslims were lazy and on benefits or anything similar regarding minorities. They were stating that the article is a load of oversimplified tripe because hasn't considered any variables at all. They then went on to list several factors that could possible account for these findings whereas the article is essentially, "loads of Muslims are unemployed therefore it must be discrimination" with no evidence whatsoever.

Edit: And who are the real scroungers that you refer to? White people? Because the statistics show that they are the least likely to claim any sort of benefits.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What I mean by scroungers are like people you find on shows like Skint, Benefits street, Jeremy kyle show wasting their dole money on fags and booze you never see muslims on these shows lol
Reply 36
What I mean by scroungers are like people you find on shows like Skint, Benefits street, Jeremy kyle show wasting their dole money on fags and booze you never see muslims on these shows lol

a few have been on jeremy kyle to be fair
Original post by pane123
I would not hire an equally capable Muslim over a non-Muslim. Being Muslim involves holding certain ideals and, while the non-Muslim might hold similar ideals, it would be much harder to find out about them. As soon as someone tells me they are Muslim, I know there is a very good chance that I will disagree with them on subjects like homosexuality.

Skin colour wouldn't make a difference to my choice of employee, religion would.

So that shows you'd be a fully discriminatory employer, so what if they don't agree with you on homosexuality, it doesn't impede their ability to do a job. You're just asking for too much, who of sane mind would even discuss homosexuality in the workplace. In fact, your whole comment reeks of stupidity. Im not even going to bother continuing a conversation with you after this comment.
If Muslims had the stereotypical views you people purport them to have, i.e slaying non Muslims etc etc, don't you think worldwide there would be chaos, its not like Muslims don't have the resources to wreak havoc, Pakistan, Saudi, Turkey and others have nuclear weapons.
If Muslims get discriminated against, then they'd always be on benefits for no fault of their own, and would get slated for being on benefits. Remember most garments' come from Muslim countries, Levis - Turkey for instance.
Anyway pointless even talking about this to a bunch of isolated kids who have no confidence in the real world and use TSR as a window to spew their fallacies.
Reply 39
Original post by thunder_chunky
Then we are better than them, or at least we ought to be. The way they treat others socially does not mean we're allowed to follow suit.

But we don't follow suit, In fact life for other ethnicities in Britain is 1000s better and more prosperous compared to the other way round. Political correctness actually favours Muslims, the establishment cosies up to the religion so in no way do we follow suit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending