The Student Room Group

Study on purely Past papers

I constantly see people say: "Just do past papers".

I thought to myself, nah it must be important to go through the books and learn through the examples.

but, this isnt working, im constantly doing **** and feel like resorting to this.

So how do this work? do i literally just do all the past papers and learn from my mistakes then do them again and again???? im confused to how this helps.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I have never heard anyone say "Just do past papers". This is because it is not true; you need to do a lot more than just past papers in order to revise a subject. Past papers will give you practice doing question that test you on the subject; they will not teach you the subject. Most of your time should be spent going over your revision notes (provided that you have already made them; if not, us other people's notes) in order to revise the subject. Then, do past papers periodically, ramping the amount up as you get closer and closer to the exam.

If you start doing them now, you will run out in the period close to the exam - the time when you actually need them.
You need a combined approach. The most important thing is that you look at the syllabus and cover the points there.
Original post by Discutimos
I constantly see people say: "Just do past papers".

I thought to myself, nah it must be important to go through the books and learn through the examples.

but, this isnt working, im constantly doing **** and feel like resorting to this.

So how do this work? do i literally just do all the past papers and learn from my mistakes then do them again and again???? im confused to how this helps.

Depends on the subject, for maths and further maths for example I always just learn the content from the textbook and do all the past papers. But for a subject like Psychology or Biology or something (I didn't take these subjects but from what I've heard) you need to revise from the notes you've made. So it depends on the subject, I think past papers are VERY useful for maths, not as useful for Accounting though notes are better for that.

Quick Reply

Latest