The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Lessons for thursday which I need to send 24 hours in advance, but, I've lost all motivation... I emailed my tutors the other day saying that I just feel tired and stressed.

It's not that I don't want to teach, it's just I don't know if I think I can teach.
Original post by Ratchit99
Youll be fine, just stay calm and so your best.

I'm still not ready. I'm struggling with teaching 22 pupils at different stages of their projects in a way that's going to come off as a good observed lesson. I want to look as though I'm in control and collected but they're going to ask me a thousand questions a second just because they can.

I'm thinking

Starter: assess your current grade according to my checklist of requirements

Main: complete a few skills required to finish but also record a couple of screen tutorials now for those wanting to extend their work further. walk around room and give each pupil a suggestion on what they can improve

Plenary: something literacyish since it's a major trainee focus over the past couple of weeks. quiz? whiteboards? wordsearches?

I was going to use a piratepad with them for the plenary but now that I'm being observed and formally recorded I don't want to risk them writing naughty things/me losing control/the system exploding.
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I'm still not ready. I'm struggling with teaching 22 pupils at different stages of their projects in a way that's going to come off as a good observed lesson. I want to look as though I'm in control and collected but they're going to ask me a thousand questions a second just because they can.

I'm thinking

Starter: assess your current grade according to my checklist of requirements

Main: complete a few skills required to finish but also record a couple of screen tutorials now for those wanting to extend their work further. walk around room and give each pupil a suggestion on what they can improve

Plenary: something literacyish since it's a major trainee focus over the past couple of weeks. quiz? whiteboards? wordsearches?

I was going to use a piratepad with them for the plenary but now that I'm being observed and formally recorded I don't want to risk them writing naughty things/me losing control/the system exploding.

Ok, so when ive been doing spreadsheets with my guys ive been differentiating by producing 3 seperate worksheets Bronze - fewer questions, more guidance on the task EXT move on to silver questions. Silver - more questions, less guidance but key words still highlighted, questions require slightly more thinking, short extension and if they complete that try the extension on the gold sheet. Gold - same amount of questions but harder, no guidance, more indepth extension task....
Plenary, ive been doing abcd quiz's with my y7's and 8's and they really respond to that, plus means you can check and consolidate learning on key words/definitions/actions etc
Original post by Ratchit99
Ok, so when ive been doing spreadsheets with my guys ive been differentiating by producing 3 seperate worksheets Bronze - fewer questions, more guidance on the task EXT move on to silver questions. Silver - more questions, less guidance but key words still highlighted, questions require slightly more thinking, short extension and if they complete that try the extension on the gold sheet. Gold - same amount of questions but harder, no guidance, more indepth extension task....
Plenary, ive been doing abcd quiz's with my y7's and 8's and they really respond to that, plus means you can check and consolidate learning on key words/definitions/actions etc

Oooooh! Thanks for that. Will see what I can add in :biggrin:
Oooooh! Thanks for that. Will see what I can add in :biggrin:

No probs, also my mentor gave me a handy hint for observations. Give them all the gold sheet at the beginning and try the first question, they assess their own understanding and can step down a level if they want, but pinpoint the ones you know could do gold and encourage them to stick by it, but by issuing all with gold and getting them to decide to go down a level you're showing that your expectations for their learning is higher and you're getting them to analyse their own ability (does that make sense?)
Went to bed last night, woke up early this morning and worked during my commute too. I then get on the bus that my pupils are usually on and they told me their IT lesson has been cancelled today.

I want to just cry.
Went to bed last night, woke up early this morning and worked during my commute too. I then get on the bus that my pupils are usually on and they told me their IT lesson has been cancelled today.

I want to just cry.

Oh what?! I want to cry for you!! I hate it when things like that happen. Are they sure? Why wouldn't you have been told?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
Oh what?! I want to cry for you!! I hate it when things like that happen. Are they sure? Why wouldn't you have been told?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I asked my ITT co-ordinator as soon as I got in and she confirmed it's been cancelled. At least they'll have a brilliant lesson on Friday even if it isn't assessed. Now I've found out that I only have:

4 lessons with my year 7s instead of the 5 I thought I had. And three of those are assessed.
2 lessons with year 9 but the majority are away on Friday and I'll have an observation next week with them.
2 lessons with the year 8s that I'm starting with tomorrow and I'm being observed with them next lesson.
2 with year 10 but they're doing controlled assessment.
Can anyone please tell me just one important thing that I can't seem to be able to find out about anywhere - Can I fail my first PGCE placement?
Original post by ROLOTOMASI
Can anyone please tell me just one important thing that I can't seem to be able to find out about anywhere - Can I fail my first PGCE placement?

I think you can, yes, however your school/university usually mark you as a cause for concern first and then put into place an intervention support plan to give you a chance to improve.
So tomorrow is choca with stress. I have an observation of my y8 lesson by my mentor (she told me this morning and ended the sentence with "surprise!") then i have to drive to a school ive applied for a job for september at who invited me in for a tour and "informal chat" :/ ive thought up a few questions but no idea whether ill hit their mark!
Ugh I'm so stressed out now. I have been off school all week ill. Feeling a bit better now though, but it meant I had to cancel my uni tutor visit. I am in the process of trying to reorganise it, which was hard enough to start with, let alone without my mentor telling me she is gonna be off a couple of weeks now! This means that the tripartite review I'm supposed to have with my mentor and uni tutor can't really happen. My mentor has suggested another teacher but this teacher has only seen me teach one class so I don't feel he can comment on my progress.

It's generally just a really bad situation. I dunno what's gonna happen :/
I have been teaching for more than thirty years and was a subject mentor for two different universities for eight years and this thread makes me realise I would never pass a PGCE nowadays. I pity all of you, I sincerely do. Good luck to all of you.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I have been teaching for more than thirty years and was a subject mentor for two different universities for eight years and this thread makes me realise I would never pass a PGCE nowadays. I pity all of you, I sincerely do. Good luck to all of you.

I pity us all too :awesome: . I'm 99% sure I don't want to go into teaching, I'm just trying to get the qualification rather than drop out. Every single extra day I complete on placement puts me off even more. And yet, for all the negativity surrounding people's experiences, I seem to be the only one on my course with all these doubts. Everyone else is finding it hard, but rewarding, and have no doubts about entering the profession.

Also, out of curiosity - do the school get some sort of incentive to take on trainees? It just looks like a lot of extra work for no reward.
I pity us all too :awesome: . I'm 99% sure I don't want to go into teaching, I'm just trying to get the qualification rather than drop out. Every single extra day I complete on placement puts me off even more. And yet, for all the negativity surrounding people's experiences, I seem to be the only one on my course with all these doubts. Everyone else is finding it hard, but rewarding, and have no doubts about entering the profession.

Also, out of curiosity - do the school get some sort of incentive to take on trainees? It just looks like a lot of extra work for no reward.

I don't know what the system offers these days as I stopped doing it nearly 20 years ago and I just haven't asked the question lately, but there used to be a payment per student to the school for the school to spend as it liked. I was stunned to find at mentors' meetings that other schools paid the money to the mentor, since I was paid nothing for doing it. Still, that helped me give it up with a clear conscience when I got fed up with it. It became clear to me that I was essentially doing the university's work for them for no pay and when I finally got a student who both I and the central mentor felt should actually fail (there was only one, and she was a danger to children) and the university took no notice of our concerns, I felt that the job I was doing was of no value to them if I actually applied judgement to it. So I quit.

I'm glad that people still want to do the job. I've no idea why they do, when I've had a bad day, but thank god they do.
Had to take today off because of illness and I think I'm going to need to take tomorrow off too..
Feel really anxious about taking tomorrow off though, but I can't speak and can barely go 5 minutes without a coughing fit...
I don't know what the system offers these days as I stopped doing it nearly 20 years ago and I just haven't asked the question lately, but there used to be a payment per student to the school for the school to spend as it liked. I was stunned to find at mentors' meetings that other schools paid the money to the mentor, since I was paid nothing for doing it. Still, that helped me give it up with a clear conscience when I got fed up with it. It became clear to me that I was essentially doing the university's work for them for no pay and when I finally got a student who both I and the central mentor felt should actually fail (there was only one, and she was a danger to children) and the university took no notice of our concerns, I felt that the job I was doing was of no value to them if I actually applied judgement to it. So I quit.

I'm glad that people still want to do the job. I've no idea why they do, when I've had a bad day, but thank god they do.

Oh that's interesting. Yeah, my mentor was telling me that they usually get their trainees from the other uni near me, but last year my mentor didn't feel that the trainee should pass, and the university blamed the mentor and now won't deal with that school just because she was honest about it. So I can totally believe what you're saying. I mean...feels reassuring for us knowing how hard it seems to be to fail, but I can imagine it leaves a lot of doubt from the point of view of the school.

Are you planning on teaching for much longer?
Oh that's interesting. Yeah, my mentor was telling me that they usually get their trainees from the other uni near me, but last year my mentor didn't feel that the trainee should pass, and the university blamed the mentor and now won't deal with that school just because she was honest about it. So I can totally believe what you're saying. I mean...feels reassuring for us knowing how hard it seems to be to fail, but I can imagine it leaves a lot of doubt from the point of view of the school.

Are you planning on teaching for much longer?

Going at the end of this year. You know when it's time to go.

The uni didn't pull out of the partnership with us, although as it was such a long time ago, it's possible that they would do so now. I just felt that I was being expected to be professional in what I was doing with the trainees yet they didn't respect my professional judgement when it suited them, nor that of the central mentor either.

Could you be more elaborate? Did she had mental health problems or some sort of psychopathic behaviour?
Exhausted. I had the class by myself all day yesterday. It was fine but because it was unexpected I had lots of practical lessons which is less than ideal with no TA! Still, proud that I managed it!
2 more days til placement finishes...I am really sad to be leaving, but feel the same ed for a break more than ever!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending