The Student Room Group

How to get better at Chemistry?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hate_skl
Yeah that's similar to me, when i started core i winged a lot of it. Now what i do is this -

- use the spec to break down the parts the course(can be found on your exam boards website)
for example b1.3
-i write everything i need to know using the spec
-i find past paper questions specifically to that topic by just writing in google
for example "b1.3 end of unit tests" you'll be surprised with what comes up.
- i also make flashcards for any definitions i need to know
-after i finish the content, i do past paper after past paper using the mark schemes to learn how to answer questions in general because you'll find that it differs through exam boards.

good luck :smile: +make sure to keep these notes for the real exam

Yeah same here, I didn't take it that seriously until I dropped set and felt the pain. It was Chemistry that made me drop from Top set to Middle Set. I got a D+ in Core Chemistry.
Original post by Zeetingman
Ive got CGP.

Flash cards, note taking, spider diagrams, posters?
Yeah same here, I didn't take it that seriously until I dropped set and felt the pain. It was Chemistry that made me drop from Top set to Middle Set. I got a D+ in Core Chemistry.

my school thank god doesn't have sets, otherwise i would defo probably have been dropped but now i just get A* in sciences . gcses aren't that hard once you actually work.
Original post by chocolatesauce
Flash cards, note taking, spider diagrams, posters?

I use that to...I think that Chemistry isn't really about memory it's about application. Stuff like 2,8,8 circles and stuff can't be memorised thats why I always fail in Chemistry. There are not much facts to learn. It's one of the reasons I love Biology it's all about remembering process and keywords.
my school thank god doesn't have sets, otherwise i would defo probably have been dropped but now i just get A* in sciences . gcses aren't that hard once you actually work.

True, some subjects have no mercy LOL.
LOL i know. Just out of curiosity, are you a boy or a girl?

Boy.
LOL sorry that sounded so weird but for a second i thought i knew you.

Lol
Ive had this problem ever since I did Core Chemistry. It's just I hate Chemistry. Every time I take a Chemistry exam I get a D+. I don't know why I have this problem, i'm not sure whether it is the confusing atoms and stuff. But how do I get better?

Hey, please contact me. I've already helped someone with her GCSE in Chemistry. Don't worry, there's no catch.
Reply 28
I use that to...I think that Chemistry isn't really about memory it's about application. Stuff like 2,8,8 circles and stuff can't be memorised thats why I always fail in Chemistry. There are not much facts to learn. It's one of the reasons I love Biology it's all about remembering process and keywords.

OMFG.
I've got the exact same problem.

I wanted to ask a question about this, but I couldn't even word it, to match my problem.
I agree with Chemistry. It's hard to memorize because it's more a practical subject, which involves diagrams.
Same with Physics, but the difference is you get the equations in the exam, and Physics has no content at all.

Biology is very wordy, which is why I love it. It's easy to do well in.
Physics is maths, with the calculator, with a little memorizing.

I also get D's in Chemistry.
C's if I try to memorize a book, but I want to get B's and A's.
I hate it when people say past papers. Yes, they do help. But you need to know the content first, otherwise you make the same mistakes over and over, and you're not learning the things your bad at it, just applying the the things you know.
Original post by GetFastMemory
Hey, please contact me. I've already helped someone with her GCSE in Chemistry. Don't worry, there's no catch.

Alright, i'm still fairly new to this site. I'll figure out how to message you!

Quick Reply

Latest