The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dmirza1996
I am also applying to Churchill for Economics and have my interview on Saturday... Even though we are in direct competition, it can't hurt to exchange a few tips!! Did they say you'll be given a "Set of Maths problems in an Economics context"? I suspect it will draw mainly from C3/C4 calculus - but significantly harder. Good Luck!

I got the part about the maths problems in an economics context in my email as well. I've been going over all the maths I've done in sixth form, but will probably focus on C3 and C4 now. Good luck to you too!
Original post by Skill Twix
Bristol,Warwick,Manchester,Bath,UEA or Nottingham.Still a shortlist.Where have you applied?

I've applied to 4 of those unis haha :biggrin:
Warwick, Bath, Nottingham and uea and I've also applied to York
Oxford, Warwick, Nottingham, Exeter and Birmingham
Original post by betrueoriginal
Oxford, Warwick, Nottingham, Exeter and Birmingham

Hi :smile: I've applied to Warwick and notts too, have you had any offers yet? :biggrin:
Got an alternative offer from Nottingham for industrial economics! Can anyone shed some light on this course, it is valued? Or would it be a nut so great path to go down, I was considering it as my insurance because offer is AAB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Hi :smile: I've applied to Warwick and notts too, have you had any offers yet? :biggrin:

How was your interview?!
Got an unconditional offer from Birmingham in 4 days if made firm :P But I'll probably use it as an insurance. Now that I got my safe choice I'm thinking of applying to UCL or Warwick, I do not do FM or have it at AS, which one of these unis do you think will care more about FM and which one would you say is the easier one to get an offer from :biggrin: (I know neither of them are 'easy' to get an offer from but you know what I mean)
Original post by abccba120
Got an unconditional offer from Birmingham in 4 days if made firm :P But I'll probably use it as an insurance. Now that I got my safe choice I'm thinking of applying to UCL or Warwick, I do not do FM or have it at AS, which one of these unis do you think will care more about FM and which one would you say is the easier one to get an offer from :biggrin: (I know neither of them are 'easy' to get an offer from but you know what I mean)

Tbh, I think the only Economics uni that actually genuinely cares about FM is LSE. Don't know about cambridge, but I got an interview for Oxford for no FM. Also, I would say Warwick is 'easier; to get into sole on the basis that UCL is a more interntionally renowned university and it is in the capital therefore lots more students (especially international ones) apply to it.
When do LSE and Warwick tend to give out offers? Still waiting...
Original post by abccba120

Neither. From what I've seen (over the past couple of years or so) UCL is 'easier'. Warwick is pickier on grades, offer is A*AAa or A*AAB whereas UCL is simply A*AA + pass in a 4th subject at AS, which gives the impression that they're after straight As at AS. And generally they take much longer to reply, quite a few more people on this thread currently hold 'offers' from UCL than for Warwick and they tend to be a bit unpredictable. I've seen people get offers from Oxbridge/LSE and not get Warwick whereas it isn't usually the case with UCL.

Original post by tomixox
Tbh, I think the only Economics uni that actually genuinely cares about FM is LSE. Don't know about cambridge, but I got an interview for Oxford for no FM. Also, I would say Warwick is 'easier; to get into sole on the basis that UCL is a more interntionally renowned university and it is in the capital therefore lots more students (especially international ones) apply to it.

Both Cambridge and LSE genuinely care about FM as stated on their website. Besides, Oxford don't do Economics.

Warwick also has a huge international vibe and attracts plenty of strong applicants. The quality of the course, and reputation (especially for Economics) are more or less the same between them.
Has anyone got an offer from Bristol yet? If so how long did it take for them to reply you after your ucas being sent off
Original post by Aso816
Has anyone got an offer from Bristol yet? If so how long did it take for them to reply you after your ucas being sent off

A friend has an offer, they got back to him in 2 weeks,
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Neither. From what I've seen (over the past couple of years or so) UCL is 'easier'. Warwick is pickier on grades, offer is A*AAa or A*AAB whereas UCL is simply A*AA + pass in a 4th subject at AS, which gives the impression that they're after straight As at AS. And generally they take much longer to reply, quite a few more people on this thread currently hold 'offers' from UCL than for Warwick and they tend to be a bit unpredictable. I've seen people get offers from Oxbridge/LSE and not get Warwick whereas it isn't usually the case with UCL.

Both Cambridge and LSE genuinely care about FM as stated on their website. Besides, Oxford don't do Economics.

Warwick also has a huge international vibe and attracts plenty of strong applicants. The quality of the course, and reputation (especially for Economics) are more or less the same between them.

Apparently UCL have a more maths based course than Cambridge and I got into UCL without A2 FM or AS FM grades. I am taking AS FM this year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EHZ17
Apparently UCL have a more maths best course than Cambridge and I got into UCL without A2 FM or AS FM grades. I am taking AS FM this year.

Well the fact that you're taking FM AS this year probably helped on the offer
Reply 1854
Original post by Boy_wonder_95

What would you say is the most important factor for Warwick when making decisions on who to give offers to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aditkulkarni
When do LSE and Warwick tend to give out offers? Still waiting...

Go A*AA from LSE some time back.
Original post by Aso816

Got AAA some week back.
Original post by Aso816

I have an Economics and Politics offer from Bristol, and my friend has an Economics offer. Took 1 week for mine and a bit longer for his.
Original post by sr-96
What would you say is the most important factor for Warwick when making decisions on who to give offers to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm no expert by any means, but from what I've seen it seems to be strong GCSE grades and good predicted grades outweighing the importance of the personal statement.

Dunno about this year, but in past people have said that they are strict on GCSEs - e.g. anyone with less than 6A*s rejected - but don't take my word on this, it's mainly speculation.
Reply 1859
Original post by groovyd97
I'm no expert by any means, but from what I've seen it seems to be strong GCSE grades and good predicted grades outweighing the importance of the personal statement.

Dunno about this year, but in past people have said that they are strict on GCSEs - e.g. anyone with less than 6A*s rejected - but don't take my word on this, it's mainly speculation.

Oh okay thank you:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending