The Student Room Group

How do I do my UCAS?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jadys10
Thanks so so much! This is literally what I've been worrying about for ages. Thank you!

You mention depression and anxiety in your OP. Do you have a support worker or social worker who might be willing to provide a personal reference?
Reply 21
Original post by PQ
You mention depression and anxiety in your OP. Do you have a support worker or social worker who might be willing to provide a personal reference?

I had a counsellor when I was in yr10 but it only lasted for a yr as it was voluntary for them, it was free and so could only last a yr for treatment. I got better, it was mild then. This time it's really bad. I've been to the gp and they referred me to see a pschologist. I'm still waiting for the meeting, the hospital hasn't contacted yet that they've arranged one to meet me.

And on another note. Is it okay for me to get a reference from an employer, so if I get a different job over the summer....?
Original post by jadys10
I had a counsellor when I was in yr10 but it only lasted for a yr as it was voluntary for them, it was free and so could only last a yr for treatment. I got better, it was mild then. This time it's really bad. I've been to the gp and they referred me to see a pschologist. I'm still waiting for the meeting, the hospital hasn't contacted yet that they've arranged one to meet me.

And on another note. Is it okay for me to get a reference from an employer, so if I get a different job over the summer....?

The UCAS page has suggestions about who is suitable.

Generally an employer is only ideal if you haven't studied anywhere recently.

Have you looked into FE/adult education in your area? If you are 19 or under then you might be able to get some teaching support for your retakes that way (and it will be free). A reference from a tutor (even if you can supplement with a private tutor by saving money by using adult learning) would be perfect.

Last thing would be to contact your local social services. They might be able to put you in touch with support of some kind. Social services are.....a challenge to deal with but if you are struggling to cope then that is exactly what they are there for (personally I only got things moving by crying at them down the phone :s-smilie:).

Oh one more thing. Make sure to look into the disability support at the unis you apply to. Starting uni is stressful so it is good to be hooked in to all the help when you arrive (sods law says then you wont need it!).
>< This must be so frustrating for you, Hang in there!

It might not seem ideal but perhaps just bite the bullet and ask the friendliest teacher you know from your old school, explain your situation, ask them honestly what kind of reference they can provide and if it will help you. Worst case scenario they say no.

(Refences are needed on your UCAS straight away so summer work will be a bit too late to get one)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by PQ
The UCAS page has suggestions about who is suitable.

Generally an employer is only ideal if you haven't studied anywhere recently.

Have you looked into FE/adult education in your area? If you are 19 or under then you might be able to get some teaching support for your retakes that way (and it will be free). A reference from a tutor (even if you can supplement with a private tutor by saving money by using adult learning) would be perfect.

Last thing would be to contact your local social services. They might be able to put you in touch with support of some kind. Social services are.....a challenge to deal with but if you are struggling to cope then that is exactly what they are there for (personally I only got things moving by crying at them down the phone :s-smilie:).

Oh one more thing. Make sure to look into the disability support at the unis you apply to. Starting uni is stressful so it is good to be hooked in to all the help when you arrive (sods law says then you wont need it!).

So does that mean I could get a reference from my private tutor? I'm homeschooling this year.

I've looked at Barnet and Southgate college which I believe is one of those FE places but I didn't get in, my AS grades were too poor, mainly because of my chemistry which broke down to DUA (unit 1-3) so I got a D overall, and they took notice of that U and I couldn't get in. I applied to loads of schools and they just wouldn't accept me for yr 13 mainly because there was always one or two subjects, the exam boards I did, they didn't match the ones at their school. And I only got into this particular school in early July, which in September then told me I couldn't do yr13 (A2) I have to retake yr12 (AS) because a biology subject didn't have the same exam boards and it's hard to convert using JCQ because there's too much difference between the two (and once again I'm angry at the education system here -_- why are there so many difference exam boards, why can't there just be one?). I really struggled to cope with the different exam board, everything I've learnt had to be relearned a different way, answering questions that I could get full marks on would get me 1/3 for the new exam board :/

I don't know what's wrong with me, I was doing so well at gcses, my grades are terrible now, I don't understand, I worked so hard :frown:
Reply 25
Original post by coffeecakey
>< This must be so frustrating for you, Hang in there!

It might not seem ideal but perhaps just bite the bullet and ask the friendliest teacher you know from your old school, explain your situation, ask them honestly what kind of reference they can provide and if it will help you. Worst case scenario they say no.

(Refences are needed on your UCAS straight away so summer work will be a bit too late to get one)

I mean since I'm gonna take a gap yr and reapply next yr because me grades are too poor to do that this yr, I would finish my exams and then go work during the summer, then come September /October 2015, could I get a reference for them to apply UCAS?
Original post by jadys10
I mean since I'm gonna take a gap yr and reapply next yr because me grades are too poor to do that this yr, I would finish my exams and then go work during the summer, then come September /October 2015, could I get a reference for them to apply UCAS?

If the plan is to apply in 2015 to study in 2016, then I would say yes! Pretty much all good sailing!
Reply 27
Oh and correction, I got BDDDD, the B is in a home language so it doesn't really count, the rest was maths, chemistry, biology and art. I did further maths too :/ and got a U so it should be BDDDDU, U because my sch told me on short notice, literally three days that we were going on a bio field trip and then I missed one of my exams, tho I didn't do so well on another paper and only did well on one paper so....

It's so bad, my parents pushing me and shouting insults and stuff at me, my depression is getting worse (verging on suicidal but a religious person so I'm holding out not to do anything drastic), I'm trying hard to stay strong but it's got to the point where I'm doubting whether education is for me. Even though I really really want to go to university. My parents moved to this country just so I could be born here and be British, better education and to have easier access to unis. I want to repay them, and also I want to have a career in science, I just find that dream so hard to accomplish now ;^;
Reply 28
Original post by coffeecakey
If the plan is to apply in 2015 to study in 2016, then I would say yes! Pretty much all good sailing!

Ok thanks so much
*Hugs*

It takes alot of work to get things done, lots of chatting, emailing, researching... but it isn't impossible! It really sucks that your parent's are not supporting you through this so you're doing really well just by being on here and asking questions with your own initiative.

If you want further education, then of course it is for you. Seek out support like PQ suggested and you'll find people who will help you make that dream ^^
Original post by jadys10
So does that mean I could get a reference from my private tutor? I'm homeschooling this year.

I've looked at Barnet and Southgate college which I believe is one of those FE places but I didn't get in, my AS grades were too poor, mainly because of my chemistry which broke down to DUA (unit 1-3) so I got a D overall, and they took notice of that U and I couldn't get in. I applied to loads of schools and they just wouldn't accept me for yr 13 mainly because there was always one or two subjects, the exam boards I did, they didn't match the ones at their school. And I only got into this particular school in early July, which in September then told me I couldn't do yr13 (A2) I have to retake yr12 (AS) because a biology subject didn't have the same exam boards and it's hard to convert using JCQ because there's too much difference between the two (and once again I'm angry at the education system here -_- why are there so many difference exam boards, why can't there just be one?). I really struggled to cope with the different exam board, everything I've learnt had to be relearned a different way, answering questions that I could get full marks on would get me 1/3 for the new exam board :/

I don't know what's wrong with me, I was doing so well at gcses, my grades are terrible now, I don't understand, I worked so hard :frown:

Yes your private tutor can provide a reference - but they might not be willing to (some tutors don't like offering references because they feel too pressured to say amazing things that they might not know about - if you ask them then make it clear that you don't expect them to say anything other than what they are comfortable with).

On getting support from your local authority I would recommend emailing this lot: http://www.barnet.gov.uk/info/940992/barnet_educational_training_support_beets/1204/barnet_educational_training_support_beets explain your situation and how difficult you're finding it. Explain that you're self teaching but would like some support even if it can't be offered for all your subjects. They should be able to work on your behalf to find you some support locally.

Also give these people a call: http://www.barnet.gov.uk/info/200104/youth_support/656/youth_support they should be able to help you get some counselling support as well as careers advice etc. If nothing else they should be able to offer a shoulder to cry on and some help if you feel like you're really struggling to cope....they'll know what is available locally and should be able to plug you in to that support. If you get on with them then someone from there may well be able to provide you with a reference next year.
Reply 31
Original post by PQ
On getting support from your local authority I would recommend emailing this lot: http://www.barnet.gov.uk/info/940992/barnet_educational_training_support_beets/1204/barnet_educational_training_support_beets explain your situation and how difficult you're finding it. Explain that you're self teaching but would like some support even if it can't be offered for all your subjects. They should be able to work on your behalf to find you some support locally.

Also give these people a call: http://www.barnet.gov.uk/info/200104/youth_support/656/youth_support they should be able to help you get some counselling support as well as careers advice etc. If nothing else they should be able to offer a shoulder to cry on and some help if you feel like you're really struggling to cope....they'll know what is available locally and should be able to plug you in to that support. If you get on with them then someone from there may well be able to provide you with a reference next year.

I called up barnet council over the summer and they said they can't do anything to help me because I'm in further education (so alevels) and that's optional studies (I think that's not the case anymore starting next yr or something, I know people can leave after gcses and do apprenticeships and stuff)
I called them asking if they could help me find a school in barnet but they couldn't help, they told me to just contact the schools individually
Original post by jadys10
I called up barnet council over the summer and they said they can't do anything to help me because I'm in further education (so alevels) and that's optional studies (I think that's not the case anymore starting next yr or something, I know people can leave after gcses and do apprenticeships and stuff)
I called them asking if they could help me find a school in barnet but they couldn't help, they told me to just contact the schools individually

Councils are big bureaucratic places - I wouldn't give up just because you got a "no" in the summer. I think if you explained the problems you're having to the BEETs team by email then they should be able to help in some way.

Likewise the youth support team in the second link are in a completely different department to the schools and colleges people - and they should be able to get you counselling and careers guidance and hopefully a support worker to help you sort your schooling (ie someone who can deal with the schools/colleges people on your behalf and who will know how to work within the systems of the council).
Reply 33
Original post by PQ
Councils are big bureaucratic places - I wouldn't give up just because you got a "no" in the summer. I think if you explained the problems you're having to the BEETs team by email then they should be able to help in some way.

Likewise the youth support team in the second link are in a completely different department to the schools and colleges people - and they should be able to get you counselling and careers guidance and hopefully a support worker to help you sort your schooling (ie someone who can deal with the schools/colleges people on your behalf and who will know how to work within the systems of the council).

Thanks so much. How do you know all this? It's been so so helpful. I will definitely contact them again
Original post by jadys10
Thanks so much. How do you know all this? It's been so so helpful. I will definitely contact them again

Hi Jadys, would you mind me asking how you got on in the end? Such a stressful situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending