The Student Room Group

MSc Finance.. What are my chances?

Hey guys,

I've just completed a BA in Business Management and Finance (I graduated in August 2014) at quite a poor university (60th in the uk rankings!), I applied (like many people here) through clearing

I only managed to achieve 3 B's at A level in Biology, Chemistry and Sociology (I missed the requirement by 1 grade at my chosen university, hence why I ended up at a polytechnic)

I achieved a 1st in my degree with the hope of doing a masters at an established university. I realised during my time at university that it was the Finance (Corporate) aspect that i enjoyed the most and which i achieved my highest mark in (around 80%)

Now the time has come for me to start finalising my choices and courses (for start in 2015). However, my confidence has been knocked slightly after looking at the mathematical requirements of some (E.g. LSE, which require some maths at A Level)

My top choices would be Durham (Finance & Investment), Leeds Uni (Finance & Investment), Cass (Investment Management), Nottingham (Finance & Investment), LSE (Finance), Warwick (Finance).. In no particular order (Although my ideal would be LSE/Durham/Cass/Leeds.

This year I plan to fill with internships/work experience in a range of fields. Currently I'm interning in London at tech start-ups (Including a startup investment company) but I will go back to managing the family business, and perhaps come back to intern some more.

I would just find any advice, suggestions or comments very useful with regards to my chances of getting into an established uni, competition and the mathematics aspect which is worrying me.

Cheers guys
Original post by kashy
Hey guys,

I've just completed a BA in Business Management and Finance (I graduated in August 2014) at quite a poor university (60th in the uk rankings!), I applied (like many people here) through clearing

I only managed to achieve 3 B's at A level in Biology, Chemistry and Sociology (I missed the requirement by 1 grade at my chosen university, hence why I ended up at a polytechnic)

I achieved a 1st in my degree with the hope of doing a masters at an established university. I realised during my time at university that it was the Finance (Corporate) aspect that i enjoyed the most and which i achieved my highest mark in (around 80%)

Now the time has come for me to start finalising my choices and courses (for start in 2015). However, my confidence has been knocked slightly after looking at the mathematical requirements of some (E.g. LSE, which require some maths at A Level)

My top choices would be Durham (Finance & Investment), Leeds Uni (Finance & Investment), Cass (Investment Management), Nottingham (Finance & Investment), LSE (Finance), Warwick (Finance).. In no particular order (Although my ideal would be LSE/Durham/Cass/Leeds.

This year I plan to fill with internships/work experience in a range of fields. Currently I'm interning in London at tech start-ups (Including a startup investment company) but I will go back to managing the family business, and perhaps come back to intern some more.

I would just find any advice, suggestions or comments very useful with regards to my chances of getting into an established uni, competition and the mathematics aspect which is worrying me.

Cheers guys

Hey mate I don't know much that could help you. I do mathematics and further mathematics and they're fairly okay subjects, mathematics probably being harder than further tbh.
I wanted to ask you what's studying finance like? do you use a lot of mathematics in there? what sort of things do you do in your degree? is there a lot of analysing and evaluating or more calculations involved?
And future career paths that people mostly get into? actuary?

thanks bro
Reply 2
Original post by Placeboo123
Hey mate I don't know much that could help you. I do mathematics and further mathematics and they're fairly okay subjects, mathematics probably being harder than further tbh.
I wanted to ask you what's studying finance like? do you use a lot of mathematics in there? what sort of things do you do in your degree? is there a lot of analysing and evaluating or more calculations involved?

thanks bro

That all depends on which aspect of Finance you are looking at. Corporate finance=basic algebra. If you wanna do trade and sales, investment and risk management, you will need deep understanding of economics, and some fairly advanced math.
Reply 3
Original post by kashy
Hey guys,

Cheers guys

My position is fairly similar to your. 20th ish uni, new biz department, 1st expected in BSc Accounting and Finance. Looking at imperial, lse,warwick, Cass, durham and Edinburgh.
Reply 4
Original post by Placeboo123

thanks bro

What i covered in my degree were just simple formulas for calculating various things, but doing an MSc in Finance would require the use of more complicated math.. If you have done both maths and further maths I think you'd be fine.
Reply 5
Original post by Stan-W
My position is fairly similar to your. 20th ish uni, new biz department, 1st expected in BSc Accounting and Finance. Looking at imperial, lse,warwick, Cass, durham and Edinburgh.

I'm just afraid of not being selected for the lack of math knowledge i have.
Original post by kashy
If you have done both maths and further maths I think you'd be fine.

MathS* ^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending